Thinking of a change......

Currently running a Kodiaq 2.0 tdi 4x4 dsg and considering changing to  a superb.i only do 10000 miles a year mainly a 30 mile commute 5 times a week and a few runs out. Looking at either a sportline estate 2.0 diesel150 manual or a 2.0 tsi 220 dsg executive estate. Roughly get 500 miles a tank full with the Kodiaq. Thoughts please. Cheers

Given your commute I would estimate the 220 would average about 35mpg or about 500 miles from the 66 litre tank (£80 per tank). The 150bhp diesel with a manual gearbox should average 45mpg and give about 650 miles per tank (£89 per tank).:nod:

• Thanks 1

The worst I have ever gotten from a full tank was 47mpg (trip home from France,  aircon on, 5 on board, boot full of luggage, roofbox, plenty of 130km/h stints etc) on a 190 manual and that's over almost 29,000km of driving.  A 150 would possibly be better?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roottootemoot said:

@flamazine

Sorry no help but just nosy.

?

Are you disappointed with the Kodiaq and is if better fuel consumption you are after?

How old is the car and do you own it and need to take the loss trading in or is it a lease car?

Looking for a change really. I like the Kodiaq but only getting 500 miles to the tank full .was considering a petrol but was stung with the official mpg with my Fabia vrs 1.4 .

• Thanks 1

It’s hard to comment @flamazine as it’s not clear what is driving your change. Is there something you don’t like about the Kodiaq which might be better on the Superb, or is the lease/pcp up on the Kodiaq and you fancy a change, and so on.

The  Kodiaq is a great car, as is the Superb, and there maybe not so much to choose between them.

i notice the 150 you are looking for is a manual, is there any reason why the 150 DSG isn’t on the list? The 150 certainly has enough power/torque to not be impaired by DSG.

re how much to the tankful, @shyVRS245 reckons 650 is common in my experience given the use you mention ( I tend to do local journeys with the intermittent long journey). Currently tank range, following some long runs, is looking like 850.

i have the adjustable suspension/gearbox (can’t remember the acronym) and run it on Normal suspension with Eco gearbox, as I like the coasting function and straightforward E mode softens the suspension and makes the dog sick.

while I was waiting for my Superb I was in a loaner Kodiaq (one Edition trim 190 D and one VRS) so if you want any more insight or comparisons then I’d be happy to comment 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was looking at some vehicles at my local dealers and was thinking of  changing the Kodiaq for something with cheaper payments.currently on a pcp.just got to justify it by getting better or similar fuel costs.

12 minutes ago, FatWolfie said:

It’s hard to comment @flamazine as it’s not clear what is driving your change. Is there something you don’t like about the Kodiaq which might be better on the Superb, or is the lease/pcp up on the Kodiaq and you fancy a change, and so on.

The  Kodiaq is a great car, as is the Superb, and there maybe not so much to choose between them.

i notice the 150 you are looking for is a manual, is there any reason why the 150 DSG isn’t on the list? The 150 certainly has enough power/torque to not be impaired by DSG.

re how much to the tankful, @shyVRS245 reckons 650 is common in my experience given the use you mention ( I tend to do local journeys with the intermittent long journey). Currently tank range, following some long runs, is looking like 850.

i have the adjustable suspension/gearbox (can’t remember the acronym) and run it on Normal suspension with Eco gearbox, as I like the coasting function and straightforward E mode softens the suspension and makes the dog sick.

while I was waiting for my Superb I was in a loaner Kodiaq (one Edition trim 190 D and one VRS) so if you want any more insight or comparisons then I’d be happy to comment 👍

I was being conservative with the mpg and range as I previously ran a 150bhp manual 1.4TSi petrol 2016 Superb and averaged over 50mpg during the 16 months and 16,000 miles I ran it. That car regularly did over 700 miles per tank with a best of 800 miles which is very impressive for such a large petrol car with a relatively small engine but my commute is 52 miles per day mainly motorway which benefits economy.:thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@flamazine

What ever you think on getting you had best borrow one and drive it for a few days first because i can easily get 450 miles from 40 litres or so in Mk2 Fabia Twinchargers. & that is not hanging around or driving solo.

From a 2.0TSI SCR 150ps Alhambra i can get easily 630 miles from the 63 litre tank and have 50 mile range left showing, 

so like the 1.4 TSI Twincharger 45ish mpg and with a load.

and if using 'Coasting' and keep the toe off the accelerator that is 730 miles between fills.

Anything doing over a year less than 10 miles to a litre and Euro 6 or newer is a Gas Guzzler.

Unless trips are under 15 miles or so obviously, be that petrol or diesel.

Edited by Roottootemoot
  • Like 1

Not sure what the actual question is here, but if it is about fuel consumption then I get 46-47mpg brim to brim with the 1.4 TSI DSG. 

That is with a 13mile each way motorway commute and some town driving. I have a fairly light right foot. 

If you were "stung" by the consumption in a TSI Fabia, that would suggest you have a leaden right foot, or were doing lots of short journeys, or with the car heavily loaded. 

It seems the smaller engined TSIs are more sensitive to driving style / loading than the TDI. 

@budster

He had a 180ps 1.4 TSI Twincharger / DSG that really does not compare to smaller engine TSI's with a Turbo and 150ps or less, they were designed & built to better the 5 & 6 cylinder Golf engines economy and with the same or similar power,

but they were also sensitive to weather and driving style, being commonly just low 20's if that and possible into the 60's MPG through average speed camera areas.

Edited by Roottootemoot

Do you want an exciting drive? 

Do you wish for better econony? 

I would move away from diesels and SUVs if you want exciting drives and better economy. 

The 220 superb executive will be quicker than your current vehicle but economy will be mostly the same as what you experience now. 

I doubt also that the superb executive will be 'exciting'. Its a large car and that will be obvious when driving as it rolls and lurches around corners. 

If you get excited about load space then it will make you happy. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Whenwillilearn said:

If you get excited about load space then it will make you happy. 

Sometimes I open the boot just to gape in awe at the sheer size of it. 

The Superb is a good looking, comfortable, well equipped, refined cruiser (for the price) but could never be described as exciting. 

My long term average in a 150 manual is around 55mpg. In winter it's around 50 and in summer is not unusual to get high 50's and around 750 miles from a tank. I'm relatively sedate but do often overtake between 30-70 on local A roads. The torque in that range is incredible, and the engine is lovely. I'd recommend it. 

Having owned 2 Mk3 Superbs in the 150 bhp and now a 190bhp version, the former model is definitely more economical, but the latter brings a large grin to my face from time-2-time. All of them a manual gearbox. The additional 40 BHP is noticeable both in fun and economy. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, jstallan said:

Having owned 2 Mk3 Superbs in the 150 bhp and now a 190bhp version, the former model is definitely more economical, but the latter brings a large grin to my face from time-2-time. All of them a manual gearbox. The additional 40 BHP is noticeable both in fun and economy. 

I don't think the 190 is on his list - it's between the 150 diesel and 220 petrol.

• Like 1

On 19/08/2019 at 11:22, Roottootemoot said:

?

Do Skoda in the UK even offer MY20 190 ps TDI Manuals?

This dealer's page would suggest they will: https://www.simpsonsskoda.co.uk/new-vehicles/superb-my20/#specification

More to the point I don't think the 220 TSI has been available since MY18...

1 minute ago, Tom_G said:

This dealer's page would suggest they will: https://www.simpsonsskoda.co.uk/new-vehicles/superb-my20/#specification

More to the point I don't think the 220 TSI has been available since MY18...

Oops my bad I missed the 'manual', the dealer's page only mentions DSG.

• Like 1