Superb to E-Class

4 minutes ago, Leccy said:

The E class estate is very tempting and lovely inside . I don’t like diesels and the lack of a good petrol engine  (beyond the really stupid ones ) was enough for me to go 280 route. 

Don't have a choice with diesel as my journeys just don't suit petrol/hybrid/electric but would love a non-diesel if it was practical.   The 280 is some car

1 minute ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Congratulations on the new car. I'd be interested in a write-up once you have had chance to get used to it:thumbup:.

Thanks.  Yes, I'll definitely keep you posted.  I'm sacrificing some spec like ventilated seats and heated steering wheel etc but that's the trade-off when not ordering from factory.  Comfort is number one for me as I do hours at a time in the car.  Even went with a model with 17" wheels for extra comfort.

• Thanks 1

@Superb170 Nice choice! I was tempted by a E-220d Estate (S213 series), but I had to forget it because it missed only few cm between rear door arm rests to install 3 babyseats... The Superb 3 Estate saved me from an awful MVP! ;) 

May be in few years when babyseats (one at least... 😁) won't be necessary anymore...

Enjoy your new vessel ;)!

I tried an E400d All Terrain the other week. 

Amazing engine but disappointing overall

Horrible noise on full lock from 4x4

No rear leg room with 6ft driver who has to have head on ceiling for passenger to get feet under front seat

Interior  quality is OK but too many cheap bits for 65k

Did a long journey back from the dealer yesterday and very impressed with it.  Missing a few toys compared to the Superb but on the flipside I gain a few as well.  It was slightly firmer than I expected but then I checked the tyre pressures and up to nearly 40psi all round!  Reduced to what they should have been and its as comfortable and smooth as I had hoped.  Only slight criticism is the gearbox.  It is 9 speed and very smooth and you don't feel any shifting beyond third however, it holds D1 and D2 for too long (have tried the different drive modes) unless you're very gentle with the throttle.  I'll get used to it though as its obviously going to be a little different from the dual clutch set up in Superb.  Refinement is very good and seats are comfortable.  The usual issue with lumbar support being an option (doesn't have it) on all these cars although I never really adjusted it too much on the Superb.  Would be nice to have it but luckily the seats are very supportive without it.  I reckon fuel economy will be the same, or marginally better, than the Superb.

• Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, MiniEggs said:

Glad you like it

How tall are you ? How is rear legroom behind yourself /feet under seat ?

Neither is anywhere as good as the Superb -- I had an E300 Hybrid estate before the Superb...

1 minute ago, IanJD said:

Neither is anywhere as good as the Superb -- I had an E300 Hybrid estate before the Superb...

I was really surprised by the E class considering it is 5m long bar a fag packet, the rear room is terrible ... it's almost a two seater !

I only had it for a couple of days and thought I must have missed some magic adjustment somewhere

I'm 6ft with a 31" inside leg so I'm not what you would call long legged / long back proportioned .... just decidedly average !

I'm deciding between BMW 5 series touring and E. Tomorrow I got test drive with E so we'll see. I'm planning 6 cylinder engine with 250hp+. 5 series seems most tempting so far though. Loveeee interior!!! 
Sound proofing and ride quality is easily my focus. I especially hate the way suspension is noisy over bumps with Superb. Not the "lying policeman's" but the potholes and stuff. I can hear any road imperfection in the car. Its possible it's suspension fault, not car it self, but it's super annoying. Can't hear that on Audi. 

Otherwise Superb is still awesome car. I just hate the service in Slovenia. So much mess, so much ****... BLAH just finally completely ****ed me off. 

Edited by JackySi

5 hours ago, MiniEggs said:

I was really surprised by the E class considering it is 5m long bar a fag packet, the rear room is terrible ... it's almost a two seater !

just decidedly average !

Legroom is average in every car after a Superb. 5 series and E class always more compact than they need to be for their size to give S class and 7 series the edge.

8 hours ago, MiniEggs said:

I only had it for a couple of days and thought I must have missed some magic adjustment somewhere

I'm 6ft with a 31" inside leg so I'm not what you would call long legged / long back proportioned .... just decidedly average !

It's well explained in this review (see video @ 36-38 mn):

The front seats of the Superb are "much" forward compaed to E-classe, BMW 5 Series or Audi A6. This helps saving room and leg space for rear passengers.

Additionnally The Superb doen't need much room for the engine, since no 6 nor 8-cylinder engine has to fit under the bonnet as the 3 german ones...

Edited by Bap33

My father in law has the E220d saloon and I have trouble getting a comfortable driving position and even getting in and out of the drivers seat for that matter. Beautiful car to drive but if you are in anyway "portly".........you will struggle day to day with it.

I would hazard a guess that the steering wheel/column was set fairly low to facilitate that lovely straight across dash.

10 hours ago, MiniEggs said:

What size wheels do you have on your superb and do you have DCC ?

18inch on DCC
I have MY18.

4 hours ago, Brackenwood said:

Jacky- My 2017 Superb was noisy over bumps and they couldn't get rid of the noise, but my new 2019 Superb is a different car with a lovely ride, dare I say superb.

Could be cause its brand new? That's interesting to know if they actually changed something, though what??? 😮
I also gave up on Skoda and not cause of the issues alone, but the service as I wrote. Like last time they aligned windshield (insurance paid, large stone hit my windshield and broke it, obviously) wrong and I had wind noise in the cabin?