Faia 1.4 tdi anti shudder valve

Hi Guys

I just bought a Fabia with the CEL lit up I was told it needed an EGR turns out it's the anti shudder valve. A new replacement is financially out of the question right now. If I remove the gubbins and free it up will it appear to the ECU that it's working? I could buy a used one but on a part like that it can be a false economy I think.

Any ideas?

Assuming when you split it, it's the cogs that are shot, this link might be of interest.  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-TDI-1-4-1-9-2-0-2-7-3-0-4-2-Throttle-Body-Flap-Motor-Repair-Overhaul-Gear-/323541307182

I haven't used this seller, I just did a quick search. When mine packed up 200,000 km ago you couldn't get hold of the cogs and I had to buy the part complete. 

Edited by PD75
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, PD75 said:

Assuming when you split it, it's the cogs that are shot, this link might be of interest.  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-TDI-1-4-1-9-2-0-2-7-3-0-4-2-Throttle-Body-Flap-Motor-Repair-Overhaul-Gear-/323541307182

Also assuming it’s an electrical throttle body. 

• Like 1

The code is P2108 on a universal scanner I ordered a VS450 scanner it's due to be delivered today. It's electrical throttle body. Car drives fine if I could bypass it altogether that would be fine. Engine code is BMN

Edited by paulkennedy

You could check the wiring between TB and the engine ECU if you have a meter to do continuity checks:

Red/blue wire goes from TB pin 3 to ECU pin 81

Red/lilac wire from pin 4 to ECU pin 75

Both thin and potentially easily broken. 

Check you have power to it on pin 2, blue/black wire when engine is running,

and earth continuity to pin 1.

If those all check out it's either down to cleaning or trying another TB.

I got nothing done! The drivers window regulator cable snapped and having changed a few on other VAG cars I thought easy. Pig of a job took ages to get the plug off the lock ended bu breaking the plastic retainer for the interior lock pop up bit. Of course it was riveted on so plenty of drilling and grinding to get it off. The rivets for the 7mm holes have thicker than normal stems and nobody had the correct rivet gun for sale. Eventually I put it on with 12mm tek self drilling  screws 2 on each hole. Next time it needs a regulator it's going to Skoda.

I rang the local Skoda dealer to price a throttle body/anti judder valve €600.00 plus vat

I was quoted over €450 by the dealers when I got mine. I spent my spare time for the next week googling and cross checking part #'s and got a brand new identical part shipping and all for €220 - just not stamped with VW/AUDI.

Was either some place in France or Germany but cant remember exactly was at least 10 years ago.

After checking the code mine threw up, it pointed to knackered plastic cogs that I was able to confirm by splitting the lid off. I'll have a look in the shed at the weekend I know I threw the old one in the new part's box and periodically came across it and fired it to one side up until at least 18 months ago ....... unfortunately, there has been a "mini" clearout in the last 6 months though ....

Edited by PD75
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mogwye said:

I learnt on here that it's best not to attempt to undo the plug/socket but to just simply cut the wires and use a separate connector when re-assembling, it's much easier.

DB.

On the plus side I lost weight both with sweat and skin. I eventually got it off by bending an old screwdriver into a J shape

PD75 I'm going to do the recommended tests and cleaning tomorrow if the tests are ok I might buy the replacement gears and try a repair. Scrapyard ones are dearer than the little gears and they are all going to be old

On 02/09/2019 at 19:55, paulkennedy said:

Hi Guys

I just bought a Fabia with the CEL lit up I was told it needed an EGR turns out it's the anti shudder valve. A new replacement is financially out of the question right now. If I remove the gubbins and free it up will it appear to the ECU that it's working? I could buy a used one but on a part like that it can be a false economy I think.

Any ideas?

When you have EGR and antishudder vlave issues , isn't this usually something to do with the vacuum system as EGR valve,  antishudder valve and Turbo variable vanes operated by vacuum via solenioids which can spring a leak in the pipes (solid or flexible!). Well it is on the 1.4PD - Is BMN not PD? If it is - usually easy fix when you find the leak.

Edited by bigjohn

As far as I can see the anti judder valve is electronic there's no vacuum pipe attached. Yes it's a PD engine. My scanner has been "lost" in the post so I have ordered a similar type of scanner.

Edited by paulkennedy

13 hours ago, Tech1e said:

Cutting what wires?

I thing its referring to the wires for the drivers door lock that pass through the window regulator frame. To undo this plug you need a long hand 5 mm thick with at least 2 thumbs and treble jointed fingers.

8 hours ago, paulkennedy said:

I thing its referring to the wires for the drivers door lock that pass through the window regulator frame. To undo this plug you need a long hand 5 mm thick with at least 2 thumbs and treble jointed fingers.

Or you unplug the connectors at the a pillar and take the wiring loom out with the regulator.