High Oil Temperature 114-120 degrees

Hi, apologies if this has been covered but after a search I can't find any similar threads.

Octavia 2012 vrs TDI.

My oil temperature is sitting at 114 degrees during normal, non-spirited driving. Takes about 15/20 mins to reach this temperature.

I've recently replaced the OEM Hella oil sensor in the sump as it was throwing a fault up on the dash...would intermittently show no temperature or sometimes jump around. When it worked, the temp would usually sit in the high 90's and sometimes go above 100.

I replaced the sensor with an aftermarket part from a German parts supplier on eBay. (Hella sensor was £100 +vat from TPS).

I've had a second aftermarket sensor from the same supplier, changed the oil again, but is still creeping up to 114 where it seems to sit.... although yesterday it crept up to 120 driving conservatively. I'm wondering if this high temp is what killed the original sensor by cooking it?

My question is, could something else be the cause of the high oil temp, or is the aftermarket sensor potentially misreading?

Coolant temp stays steady at 90 degrees (or 89.3 according to VCDS!).

No other fault codes present. 

Castrol branded vw507.00 spec oil.

Edited by alanpartridge
Title

@alanpartridge

?

Just checking,

you did source that Castrol Edge from a trusted seller and put it in yourself so know that is what is in the engine? 

Lots of hooky oil around, especially online.

114*oC or hotter will not cook a sensor.  Or should not because it has to cope with higher oil temps than that if in a High Alpine Pass in Summer towing an Elephant behind your car.

Like where VW say 'may' use 0.5 litres / 1,000 km of the expensive recommended oil.

1 hour ago, Roottootemoot said:

@alanpartridge

?

Just checking,

you did source that Castrol Edge from a trusted seller and put it in yourself so know that is what is in the engine? 

Lots of hooky oil around, especially online.

114*oC or hotter will not cook a sensor.  Or should not because it has to cope with higher oil temps than that if in a High Alpine Pass in Summer towing an Elephant behind your car.

Like where VW say 'may' use 0.5 litres / 1,000 km of the expensive recommended oil.

Yeah I bought it from parks on eBay which I think a few members use. Established seller with decent feedback. Pretty confident it's the real deal. Yes, I put it in myself.

I imagine the sensor would cope, just wondering what other people's thoughts would be.

1 hour ago, Nosnx said:

The mentioned temperature readings are from VCDS? I would check connection and wiring for any mark of damage....🤔

From maxidot and double checked in VCDS. Wiring is all okay - checked this out when the original sensor was playing up.

Edited by alanpartridge
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, SuperbTWM said:

It will be the aftermarket sensor, been there and done that with coolant temp sensors, they are always a few degrees out.

I think you could be right. The car is exhibiting no other symptoms. Serves me right for trying to save a few quid!

Do these sensors need adapting or calibrating at all or should they just be plug & play?

Parks Motor Group Hamilton.  Established certainly. 

They would not have hooky oil.

Might have the wrong spec oil at Special Service Deals in the branch, but that is another story.

Might tell customers at the Service Desk a load of crap.  But that is a different story.

People think Arnold Clark are too risky, Scotland has a choice of places to avioid.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/34819-parks-hamilton/page/2/#comments

Edited by Roottootemoot

57 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

Parks Motor Group Hamilton.  Established certainly. 

They would not have hooky oil.

Might have the wrong spec oil at Special Service Deals in the branch, but that is another story.

Might tell customers at the Service Desk a load of crap.  But that is a different story.

People think Arnold Clark are too risky, Scotland has a choice of places to avioid.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/34819-parks-hamilton/page/2/#comments

Wow, certainly a few horror stories there!! 

I ordered two bottle of oil from them, and they only sent one. Took them a while to respond and send the missing one!

Edited by alanpartridge

There are plenty that have bought the Quantum from them and the price was right.

Its odd in the Dealership that they will tell customers wanting VW502 for their TSI on Fixed servicing that it is not 'Fully Synthetic' and could not be used.

As to VW504 / 507 and asking at the service desk they used to look at you like you were in the wrong place, 

and would say the Technician will know when the cars in for the service,

So the oil temp sensor was aftermarket? What brand? For the temperature to change by that step difference before and after the sensor - it must be sensor calibration or specs.  I don't have VCDS so I don't know if you can adjust. By sounds of post it seems not. Choices would be put in genuine sensor or manually calibrate by taking 20C off assuming the differential is constant or as a % of temperature doesn't vary too greatly.

Edited by TheClient
  • Thanks 1

On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2019 at 14:19, alanpartridge said:

Do these sensors need adapting or calibrating at all or should they just be plug & play

No way to adapt or calibrate, as far as I know.

I'd just do the mental subtraction and not worry about it if I were you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/09/2019 at 19:00, TheClient said:

So the oil temp sensor was aftermarket? What brand? For the temperature to change by that step difference before and after the sensor - it must be sensor calibration or specs.  I don't have VCDS so I don't know if you can adjust. By sounds of post it seems not. Choices would be put in genuine sensor or manually calibrate by taking 20C off assuming the differential is constant or as a % of temperature doesn't vary too greatly.

It was just an unbranded one off a UK based eBay seller. They've been really helpful. 

I agree with what you say about it perhaps just being the specs of the sensor.

The car is running fine, and I'll likely clock up another 10k miles in the next few months so will replace with a genuine Hella on my next oil change.

On 18/09/2019 at 20:03, Wino said:

No way to adapt or calibrate, as far as I know.

I'd just do the mental subtraction and not worry about it if I were you.

Thanks. And thanks to everyone for their help as always. 

MOT time on Wednesday! I promise to sign up as a freedom member soon, once I've stopped spending all my money on oil 😂

That definitely can not be right.. Like the others have said above it's likely the sensor.. The highest I've ever gotten it to was 101 degrees Celsius, and that was with me absolutely gunning it through a mountain pass and doing 170km/h in the straights.

To be honest, I'd go for a genuine or OEM sensor, it would be something I wouldn't risk messing around with. I suppose if it isn't doing any harm so far you should be okay, will probably just make your oil cooler fans go a bit more!

Cheers

Not meaning to sound flippant, but does measuring oil temperature to this degree really matter? My understanding was that the only reason an oil temperature sensor was fitted was as a part the variable distance service indicator system. Then someone at VW presumably went 'Hey, we could use this data to display the oil temp on the dash, that might be interesting.....' 

Surely on a water-cooled engine any sign of overheating would be quickly reflected in the coolant temperature?The oil temperature just does what it does. 

• Like 1