Which Tyres

HI Guys,

My front tyres need replacing soon, i have been on black circles and the 2 i am looking are:

- Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 at £77 fitted

- Avon ZV7 £65 fitted

What are the better tyres to go for?

i currently have the Goodyears on at the moment but, i was thinking of going to the cheaper Avons but not sure both are rated the same on website.

Cheers luke

5 minutes ago, themanwithnoaim said:

The Goodyear's are the preferred tyre of the non-tuned vRS, I don't rate them on a tuned car that's driven hard

i thought they was, managed to find them cheaper at kwikfit so i have opted for them.

Cheers

I found the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport slightly cheaper than the Asymmetric 5 a couple of months ago when I needed new tyres. The Supersport is a newer, higher perfomance tyre so I was surprised that it was cheaper. I've been happy with the performance so far, although I haven't exactly been pushing it to the limits.

Goodyear F1s have worked well for me in all but the most extreme weather conditions. To be honest if there's ice and snow about, the car stays where it is. It's not your grip or how you drive, it's the actions of others you need to worry about in weather like that!

I'm building up to new tyres soon and had originally been set on F1 Assy 5's but having just fitted efficient grip performance on the wifes car I like the look of them (cheaper, almost as good performance and 'should' last longer).  Have conti sport contact 5's at the mo but not liked the relatively hard ride although a slight drop in pressure recently has made a big difference.  I have also been looking at some michelin models as someone recently told me that they put more effort into making tyre with more useable compounds and patterns even at low tread depth.  Always used to have Michelin energy savers on the mk11 which lasted for ever (35k+).

9 hours ago, TimmyB said:

I found the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport slightly cheaper than the Asymmetric 5 a couple of months ago when I needed new tyres. The Supersport is a newer, higher perfomance tyre so I was surprised that it was cheaper. I've been happy with the performance so far, although I haven't exactly been pushing it to the limits.

Are supersports not a tad overkill for regular road use?

Edited by MarkyG82

3 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

Are supersports not a tad overkill for regular road use?

From what I read the supersports are an ultra-high performance road tyre intended for Golf GTI / BMW M3 type level performance cars. There are higher level tyres (Supersport R and RS) which are even higher level and from what I can tell almost a trackday tyre, however the normal Supersport is very much a road tyre.

Had they been £20 more than an Asymmetric 5 I wouldn't have bothered, but they were actually about £2 per tyre cheaper.

• Like 1

Crossclimates. Just put four on mine. Quieter and comfier than the Michelin Energy Savers that came off, plus unstoppable in winter weather. Great deal with ATS Euromaster, ended up about £66.50 a tyre. Mine are a more common/cheaper size, mind. 

• Thanks 1

From the prices, I am guessing you have one of the more common wheel sizes, so plenty of choice 

Both are good summer tyres, but neither will be great in cold Autumn and winter mornings, so decision is really if you want a tyre that works well all year in UK.  Remember that summer tyres go hard and don’t really grip a damp salted road at -5c (salt allows it to be damp well below freezing)  Do you really want to be doing 60-70mph on a dual carriageway or motorway on winter night with minimal grip?  Summer tyres are also hopeless on those few days a year when it snows.

Best bet for all year is to go for one of the summer biased all seasons which will grip in cold rain when temperatures are within few degrees of freezing, and will cope if get some sleet or snow

My suggestions : Michelin cross climate+ ; Goodyear vector 4 seasons Gen 2; Vredestein Quatrac Pro (Or Quatrac 5)

Possible alternatives : Bridgestone weather control A005; Continental all season contract;  

Edited by SurreyJohn

9 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

My suggestions : Michelin cross climate+ ; Goodyear vector 4 seasons Gen 2; Vredestein Quatrac Pro (Or Quatrac 5)

Possible alternatives : Bridgestone weather control A005; Continental all season contract;  

All good tyres but the Goodyear and the Continental are winter-biased all-season, whereas the Crossclimate+ is a summer biased tyre. Not sure about the others never really looked at them.

• Like 1

On 02/10/2019 at 20:59, No.733 said:

Crossclimates. Just put four on mine. Quieter and comfier than the Michelin Energy Savers that came off, plus unstoppable in winter weather. Great deal with ATS Euromaster, ended up about £66.50 a tyre. Mine are a more common/cheaper size, mind. 

My Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen-2 are quieter than the Energy Saver doughnuts that were on before, even being a higher load rating (94XL). Fuel economy appears the same and handling is equivalent (to the extents that I drive) in the wet and dry.

Goodyear did have an offer on, but believe it may have ended now. I got £50 back for buying my tyres (meaning they worked out at £60 a corner in 205/55/16 94V).

WesternDuke - it is for this very reason that I love the fact that I finish work in the early hours when most people are home or have got stuck already. Early 2018 it snowed from about 9pm til about 9am the following day, the journey home was flawless (and I had a play! 😋), and the journey in the next day was lovely because everyone had stayed home!