What are the chances of having a remap being "found" by dealer???

inquirer

I was just wondering what will trigger the dealer to read the ECU's flash memory to reveal a remap?? Would a simple diagnostic check reveal a remap?? Or do they have to dig deeper??

After talking to Skoda Norway they confirmed to me that they don't allow any modifications whatsoever to the engine or ECU, without voiding the warranty on everything related to engine, gearbox and wheels. This to me is pretty logical. Since the dealers here are so mindless they follow everything that Skoda Norway tells them to, also very logical. So I am in a dilemma, do I remap and don

After recent events, Jon, I don't think anyone could accuse you of that... perhaps just on the odd occasion you get pulled over and asked how fast you were going? [innocent face] "75, honest!" :D

I'm going to have fun when I get my 50K service done, estimated in January time. I'm going to be going to a dealer in North Devon, as I've been getting good modding vibes off them. I'm also not spectacularly fussed about the warranty, having only until June 2004 for it to run. I'd still like to have that cover for the first half of next year though!

So, what do I do then...? Be honest, tell them servicing my car it is remapped and they are NOT to touch anything on the ECU, or keep quiet and maybe tell them NOT to take it for a test drive...? That could be a decision I make by having an inquiring chat with those on the service desk.

I can't tell you how annoyed I'll be if they overwrite the map though. :cussing:

:cheers:

The quickest way to check to see if a car has been remapped is to check what the expected boost pressure is in the value measuring blocks. It give you a readout of what the ECU is expecting and what the actual pressure is.

If its above book then its been mapped.

But to be honest not many know how to do that.

Checksums....

Post chipped from anyone and this is always different than the OE one.

Whether they are able to check this out easily with dealer tools however is another matter.

If in doubt... get a spare as suggested.. chip that one... have fun... and in the very unlikely event of an issue.. swap them. Play the same game they do. Its only fair! :flame:

Hmm, I am a bit worried, because Norway is blooming expensive, if something would happen.

However, the thing is that after having a long hard think about it, I am not worried if something happens to the engine or gearbox, since I know that would be partially my fault for remapping the engine. I will certainly not push it as TaviaRS. The thing that I am worried about is if something happens in relation to the engine and Skoda tells me: Naahh, remap = no warranty whatsoever, when they would normally cover this if I didn

Bill,

Whether they are able to check this out easily with dealer tools however is another matter.

No, the dealer can't. However, when I was going through this, I was told, yep, we'll replace your engine. Whilst that is being done we'll send your ECU of to the VAG technical centre where it will be checked for signs of tampering (physical and electronic). If that shows nothing, we'll put it back in your car and dyno it. Something tells me they really didn't want to do it under warranty!

The spare ECU is the only viable route in that case. If it had come to that I'd been offered the choice of 3 standard ECUs to put in my car :D However, I'm honest :rolleyes: :(

[cough] 4K posts.. [/cough'] that crept up quickly & silently
Quickly - yes; silently - anything but for those of us on the receiving end! Congratulations, Jason!!!

Would anyone care to give a Skoda dealer a call and get a rough estimate on a Octavia 1.9 TDI (130bhp), November 2003 model, ECU?? They asked me here in Norway for chassis and engine number, but I just need an estimate.

I sent Skoda UK customer service an e-mail and they replied me to call a Skoda dealer. Just want to see if there is a big difference in price from Norway. I was quoted a price of