4wd operation

is there any objective way to tell when torque is being sent to the rear wheels (eg via digital dash) ? am trying to figure out how often it operates , so i know whether i should bother with 4wd for my wife’s next car 

Sorry, in all seriousness I'm not sure without going back out to my car to have a look. 

The majority of the time in normal driving condition it'll be in 2wd. Ive only notice mine triggering 4x4 when pulling away sharply from a junction with a loose/wet surface. 

It'll come into its on hill starts when towing and added security in wintery conditions. 

I do not think the car tells you. (unlike in a LR)

I think it is always 4 wheel drive - just normally 95% power is on front and 5% to back.. but I am not 100% sure about that as there is conflicting info available on the %.

As above the car utilises the traction control and Haldex units to add more power where its needed when it senses slip - which is why off road you need to make wheels slip to get the others to turn. 

The car is more an AWD than 4 wheel drive.... but recently when on a LR off road day - talking with the instructor - he thought quite highly of the system fitted to Yeti which is an earlier version of what is fitted to Kodiaq.

Search on U tube - there is lots of videos.

System is good if there is ice or packed snow - with correct tyres... but a 2 wheel drive with correct tyres  - is better than 4x4 with Summer tyres in the snow or ice.

In normal wet road conditions also the 4x4 gives less slip and more drive

Its almost impossible to wheel spin a 4x4 - where as the 2 wheel drive - same engine will easily wheel spin.... so it saves you tyres... and is obviously distributing the power and torque..

Edited by SimonAudi
Added Link

On 04/10/2019 at 22:50, chrisluciofg said:

is there any objective way to tell when torque is being sent to the rear wheels (eg via digital dash) ? am trying to figure out how often it operates , so i know whether i should bother with 4wd for my wife’s next car 

With a diagnostic software like VCDS - yes.

I've done some experiments recently, and it shows that there is really a bit of power (5%?) sent back all the time. Also, during acceleration even without slipping it increases to about 20%, maybe more with heavier acceleration.

And on slippery surface it is distinctly working - I managed to climb, then stop, and then start climbing on rather steep icy (parking in ski resort in Sweden) without any apparent slip or wheel spin.

It should obviously not need saying, but going to say it anyway,

appropriate tyres might well be required to climb or descend or drive on off camber safely and in control on ice with or without AWD.

Otherwise you can just be a big tabbogan if there is no traction between tyres and surface.

• Like 1

Also,

keep in mind that even with AWD Kodiaq, even in Scout version, is not really an offroad vehicle - too low clearance, no manual differential locks, and Haldex is not really supposed to operate in full AWD mode for long, it will overheat and switch off.

• Like 1

Not that this is any use to the op, but in my previous car (Ford Kuga TX) it had an excellent graphic which could be viewed in the centre screen (dot matrix in our case). It normally showed power going just to the front wheels, but as more grip was required, so the rear wheels would show as being driven. Not sure if this had a Ford only copy write or not (similar to their front heated screen once was), but it would be a welcome addition on Skoda vehicles. 

On 04/10/2019 at 20:50, chrisluciofg said:

I'm weighing up whether my next car should have 4 Wheel Drive or not,  and the little niggle at the back of my mind that I just can't quite shake off involves that one little situation where having it prevented, at the very least, life changing injuries. 

We both still have a soft spot for my previous car,  Honda Civic,  that the Octy Scout just doesn't quite give us, but my wife says she always feels safe in the Scout.

chrisluciofg, Read up about Haldex systems. The Kodiaq has a Haldex V which does not wait for wheel slip or spin but lets the car's computer send torque to the rear wheel in situations like start from standstill, acceleration, cornering, climbing a hill.

Fin69, To help you decide on 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive watch the comparison of the 2 on a Octavia on Youtube.

Edited by 26DIPP