Is it worth getting a SIM?

Hi all

Had our 272 Sportline+ now since March and the wife is absolutely loving it.  I was just reading elsewhere though about someone's data usage in their Volvo and it reminded me that we've never bothered getting a cheap SIM for the car.

Is it worth getting one?  How do people get the most out of theirs?

I put a SIM in our Kodiaq, I rarely use it but its worth it just for map updates alone, it makes it quicker and less of a hassle to stay up to date. Also you do get news, weather reports and so forth. 

7 hours ago, john999boy said:

Just get the Three 200Mb free per month SIM. Apart from their current network issues, you can't beat FREE! ;)

I'll have some of that thanks,  just ordered one see how it goes,

Does it ever use 200mb ?

2 hours ago, Sevlow8 said:

I'll have some of that thanks,  just ordered one see how it goes,

Does it ever use 200mb ?

No it never gets anywhere near.

I mainly use it for RTTI with maybe just a little bit of weather or news info.

Got one for my Kodiaq, wish I hadn't bothered. Even with the live traffic updates on the Sat Nav it's still not as good as Waze connected via Android Auto / Apple Carplay.

Skoda Connect is notoriously unreliable too.

Edited by silver1011

17 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Got one for my Kodiaq, wish I hadn't bothered. Even with the live traffic updates on the Sat Nav it's still not as good as Waze connected via Android Auto / Apple Carplay.

Skoda Connect is notoriously unreliable too.

See, this is what I was thinking a while back I think.  I know the 3 SIM is free (ish) but is there even much point given Android Auto integration?  

I have the free 3 data SIM. I've no idea if it's working or not, the globe tends to alternate between white and red.

After the novelty of Skoda Connect wore off (sounding the horn from the front room gets boring after the second time!), combined with the fact on the odd occasion I've looked to use it it's been down, I can't say I've used it since.

5 hours ago, Swervin_Mervin said:

See, this is what I was thinking a while back I think.  I know the 3 SIM is free (ish) but is there even much point given Android Auto integration?  

Not sure why it's free 'ish' as it's definitely free 100%!

AA is very good but the benefit from having an integrated SIM with an 'always on' traffic connection is that it doesn't need the phone to be plugged in to keep you informed.

After all, traffic jams can occur when short journeys are being undertaken just as easily as long ones when you might prefer to be using AA (and the phone is connected by cable).

7 hours ago, Swervin_Mervin said:

I'd read it was £10 up front which gets you 10gb and then its free with 200mb after. Is that not the case?

I certainly haven’t paid anything but maybe they’ve cottoned on to why so many people are getting them?

Just checked and it’s still available.

Edited by john999boy
Added info.

I am currently using 24 month Three sim which runs out March. Just ordered one of these “free” sims at no cost but whilst searching saw some sites were charging £10. 

On 17/10/2019 at 10:06, john999boy said:

Just get the Three 200Mb free per month SIM. Apart from their current network issues, you can't beat FREE! ;)

Can't seem to get by activation process.

If you put the sim in a phone it informs you that there is NO compatible device found.

If you try from the purchase page and follow the "Register" link

data3.jpg.4dcdada79e065eb16b24cd535da05c99.jpg

It expects that you already have a existing number on the 3 network.

act3.jpg.7cb03d483d78ad7aba26a375d0e0245d.jpg

Or am I missing something?

It's a while ago when I registered but would it not be correct to think that your allocated phone number was on the cellophane wrapper?

A number of people have had to phone Three due to not having unlocked phones to firstly setup the SIM prior to putting it in the car though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/10/2019 at 10:06, john999boy said:

Thank you @john999boy will give it a go too! I love my Android Auto especially voice control is so much better but there is very little to loose by checking out this option too :)

Recently there appears to have been problems (or so I thought) with Connect and the globe hasn't been going white suggesting a network problem.

Tonight however the Columbus started showing the Connect traffic data but the globe still hadn't changed to white.

Weird! Maybe some sort of reset is required?

38 minutes ago, john999boy said:

Recently there appears to have been problems (or so I thought) with Connect and the globe hasn't been going white suggesting a network problem.

Tonight however the Columbus started showing the Connect traffic data but the globe still hadn't changed to white.

Weird! Maybe some sort of reset is required?

I usually toggle on wifi tether on my phone to make the globe white but a few months back it stopped turning white but stayed red. Not that I really used it for anything really but I was annoyed so I have removed WLAN and added again that seem to cure the issue and my globe turns white again shortly after I toggle tether on my mobile.