So, tonights tea was..........................

Auric Goldfinger

2 hours ago, Colin170CR said:

Decision made.

Scrap the takeaway it's a dine in Indian for me & the Mrs who got a bit jealous that I was considering a t/a. We are going to a old venue after a change of management so 🤞it lives up to expectation.  

Update. New Indian was OK. No pics  but food was good & nicely decorated.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Colin170CR said:

followed by traditional Lemon & sugar Pancakes...

Snap:

IMG_8773.thumb.jpeg.69e9cd14b586347b540d0bc04de0eac0.jpeg

Lighter in colour as ours were made with almond milk.  Dunno why we don't have 'em more often.  Although I feel a bit conflicted as a hitherto lemon and sugar stalwart, as I ended up with a bit too much maple syrup on one, and it was heavenly 👍

Gaz

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, John2022 said:

I endured three weeks in China on a business trip years ago. Had to use chop sticks for nearly everything - very frustrating.... 

I can use chop sticks, sort of, but if I do the food tends to get to cold 🤣

49 minutes ago, John2022 said:

Cold chicken and Bubble and Squeak for me - austerity day😃

Think that might be me tonight. The fridge is looking rather empty. 

tonight we went to Restaurante Oscar which had been recommended by a relative who was here recently...

3 courses for about 13e, kids 2 courses for 6, excluding drinks and any extras.

i had the

Mushroom crepe, Beef Bourbignon, hot brownie.

missus mac had the scrambled egg and smoked salmon (wheat flour in soup so that was ruled out), grilled chicken with mash and veg, lemon mousse.

Spud sr had the nuggies and chips, jr was on the fish fingers tonight :D

overall, the quality of the food was very good indeed, i would say the portion sizes on the mains are bit small though... theres enough, but a bit more would be better..

I was told to whatsapp and book in advance, was glad i did, we barely got a table!

• Like 4

Bit of improv this evening as the fridge is sort of empty. 

Sausages & onions in a French stick.

Was messy but tasted great 🌭

image.thumb.png.f9786d196be96eb778a36e8b0948cd18.png

• Like 3
  • Love it! 1

been humming and hawwing tonight....

La Gondola got a walk by "shur go on we'll try it".

first place ive found in recent 2 trips to Spain that did a 1 person paella! so guess what i had.. pretty good, plenty flavour not over cooked rice. admittedly not the best ive ever had, but that crown will likely never be taken from Sa Nacra in a small Menorcan sea cliff cave.. and the tiramisu dessert.

missus mac played it IBS friendly with the grilled chicken followed by basque cheesecake - more a ricotta?. Sr opted for the spag bol and chips which he cleared! surprisingly. strawberries and cream for him

and jr worked his tired pi55ed off self theough chicken goujons and chips.

so why the wondering about a review? it was a busy spot, and very good service, and pricing was pretty average. it just felt like theres a smidge more they could do to lift the flavours. Missus Mac in particular said the chicken was quite plain, even for grilled chicken. you can do stuff to a chicken breast to give it some life, and that was juuuust lacking.

special mixed paella for 1 did get a pic though - 

20240222_191705.thumb.jpg.0747624e9876de615fac77c045e16111.jpg

• Like 3

Tonight was more Frig & Freezer raiding. 

Came up with a homemade Beef Madras with extra garlic, tinned toms, red pepper & spices with a 1 minute Pilau rice. Loads left over. 

image.thumb.png.d009f426037fb393784a1b65e7d6dbda.png

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

been humming and hawwing tonight....

La Gondola got a walk by "shur go on we'll try it".

first place ive found in recent 2 trips to Spain that did a 1 person paella! so guess what i had.. pretty good, plenty flavour not over cooked rice. admittedly not the best ive ever had, but that crown will likely never be taken from Sa Nacra in a small Menorcan sea cliff cave.. and the tiramisu dessert.

missus mac played it IBS friendly with the grilled chicken followed by basque cheesecake - more a ricotta?. Sr opted for the spag bol and chips which he cleared! surprisingly. strawberries and cream for him

and jr worked his tired pi55ed off self theough chicken goujons and chips.

so why the wondering about a review? it was a busy spot, and very good service, and pricing was pretty average. it just felt like theres a smidge more they could do to lift the flavours. Missus Mac in particular said the chicken was quite plain, even for grilled chicken. you can do stuff to a chicken breast to give it some life, and that was juuuust lacking.

special mixed paella for 1 did get a pic though - 

20240222_191705.thumb.jpg.0747624e9876de615fac77c045e16111.jpg

Good simple food well prepared and cooked does not need or certainly deserve to be smothered in overpowering sauces is something that France has really taught me, less can often be far more.

Re the 1 person paella, for the last couple of weeks of my ground floor conversion the temporary kitchen has been between partially and completely gutted on its way to becoming the permanent one (walls & ceiling insulated & dry lined, final plumbing and electrics fitted), during that time I have either been eating out at my favorite routier  (truck drivers restaurant but a very special one) or cooking ready meals maybe with something else thrown in, by far my favorite has been the ready meal Paellas from Netto and Lidl which cost around €3 and look just like yours, one less whole prawn but other peeled prawns, one whole mussel in shell and other shelled ones and a large chicken thigh, really really tasty and almost as good as a restaurant one, they will remain a regular item in my fridge.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Good simple food well prepared and cooked does not need or certainly deserve to be smothered in overpowering sauces is something that France has really taught me, less can often be far more.

oh i whole heartedly agree, letting the flavours come through themselves is something i reaaly like. im not a fan of too much overpowering sauce. buuuut... there needs to be the base flavours there too.

btw, if you read my previous post - if i didnt count the overall quality as being above normal i wouldnt have written it up, so... they do win ;) just want my dinners out to have that extra little "nom" to it too :D

Got distracted; last nights was breaded fresh pollock:

IMG_8923.thumb.jpeg.e59ce100e0aa7bbab6cdd8cf913e9701.jpeg

We always bung any leftover breadcrumbs in with the egg and chuck it in the pan after the fish is done -that's the little omelette thingy on top.

Tonight we had leftover gammon with roasties:

IMG_8925.thumb.jpeg.577c578d05cf9a989a9b7a4e24000235.jpeg

Yorkie was technically a leftover too; came from Brighton and is vegan, wheat and gluten free 😎

Gaz

• Like 1
  • Love it! 1

Ooh forgot about this thread...   But one for @Lady Elanore...   Spotted at my daughter's Uni house.

IMG_20231002_171953_HDR.jpg

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 2
  • Love it! 1

No pics but tonight was a Sweet Chilli King Prawn stir fry.

Bucket load of fresh shell on prawns from Costco (shelled & de-veined), spring onions, mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, fresh garlic, ginger, straight to wok noodles, sweet chilli sauce, rice wine, soy sauce & dressed with sesame seed oil. 

Washed down with a Doom Bar or 2. 

Feeling rather stuffed now.

• Like 2