Next car advice

Hi All,

I am considering changing my car to an Octavia (or Superb) saloon or estate.

Need a larger family car ideally, currently have a Skoda Rapid (saloon) and Hyundai i20 - we are thinking keep the Rapid and sell the i20 toward this.

I do approx 12-15k per year, mainly driving on the a14 for work and then family journeys are all longish trips so I am torn between the 1.4 TSI (have the 1.2 TSI in the Rapid) or the 2.0 Diesel engine.

With this in mind what do you think would be a good choice and is an Octavia a better choice over the Superb?

Thanks

Superb vs octy... really only you can decide whether you require the larger superb or if an octy is enough for you. Based on your annual mileage any of the tsi engines (preferably mated to a dsg as you'll never want for anything else) would meet your needs very well indeed. Since it seems like you are shopping second hand you would be better to avoid early 1.5tsi's and stick with 1.4 instead. In the octavia you will have lots to chose from as well. 

Edited by Gmac983
  • Like 1

I've an Octavia estate and it's more than spacious for my needs.

There's only three of us and a dog but it holds the large dog cage on one side and still enables three suitcases to be swallowed up in the boot.

I've got the VRS diesel, I do about 13k a year and love it. Cheap tax and not bad mpg. In terms of mpg I'm getting between 40-50mpg depending on my commutes during week, most time it sits around 43 which I'm happy with as my 1.4tsi Ibiza wasn't too far off but had less grunt.

I'm looking at a superb next, purely for the 280 engine but the price of it I'm probably going to go for a Leon Cupra ST instead as I can't justify £40k nearly on a Skoda.

Pop into a dealer and get a look at the size difference, I imagine the Octavia will suffice.

Edited by courty
typo

My wife has the 1.4tsi 150HP in her Leon Fr. After my Disco Sport suffered a breakdown(again) at the weekend (my Octy cant come soon enough) we used the Leon for a trip to Cornwall. Two adults, three kids, dog and a boot full of luggage plus plenty of heavy right foot from me and it averaged 45mpg. My wife is getting 43mpg  over it's first 13k primarily sub 5 mile drives up and down Devon hills. I cruised at 70mph 20 miles to work this morning down the M5, it averaged 53mpg. Really is an excellent engine. My Superb 2.0 tdi 150 (admitedly a bigger car) used to get 48-50mpg on the same trip to work although better when warmed up. I'd go for petrol.

I have 1.4 SE-L estate and believe it or not, it's more practical than a Superb for my purposes. Superb gigantic but doesn't come with false boot floor, it's also less economical.

My 1.4tsi returns 49mpg on average - all depends on the conditions. If you're sitting at 70mph on A14 then expect low forties. If driving at a constant 50-60 expect low 50's. It all depends on the purchase price of course, but typically you'd have to cover hue mileages in a diesel for it to become more economic. 1.4tsi pretty punchy low in rev range.

Someone above suggests DSG. Well depends on the engine but rule of thumb is DSG in 1.4 / 1.5tsi  and 1.6tdi is best avoided as on average, those gearboxes have the highest failure rate of any autogear box I know of. The DSG's on 2.0 cars ( diesel or petrol ) are far more reliable. That said the manual 6 speed on 1.4tsi is very good.

haven't driven a Superb but if the A14 isn't smooth then test drive an Octavia before you buy it because road noise can be an issue, so much so that despite being 95% happy with my Octavia, that 5% is becoming a pain-in-the-arse and I'm now considering moving to another brand. 

^^^Of course you are absolutely correct on dsg reliability issues. 

Although personally I feel it's worth the slight risk of getting a bad one as it's worth it for the ability of the dsg. Just my view... Perhaps not everyones... 

Edited by Gmac983

I have a 1.5 tsi dsg Superb estate on order. Currently have Octavia estate  1.4 tsi dsg,, but prefer the build quality and space in the Superb which we also had before the Octavia

23 hours ago, hr21 said:

Hi All,

I am considering changing my car to an Octavia (or Superb) saloon or estate.

Need a larger family car ideally, currently have a Skoda Rapid (saloon) and Hyundai i20 - we are thinking keep the Rapid and sell the i20 toward this.

I do approx 12-15k per year, mainly driving on the a14 for work and then family journeys are all longish trips so I am torn between the 1.4 TSI (have the 1.2 TSI in the Rapid) or the 2.0 Diesel engine.

With this in mind what do you think would be a good choice and is an Octavia a better choice over the Superb?

Thanks

I used to have an i20 3dr 1.2 and now I've an octavia estate. I'm only just starting to do the mileage in my car (illness kept me from driving for a little while) but on my commute now, 85 mile round trip, I'm getting upwards of 50 mpg (mpg calibrated). If there's stop start traffic on the motorway, it does drop into the 40's, but most of my commuting is outside of rush hour traffic.

The main reason I bought a diesel was for it's towing ability. My trailer with my motorbike at the very most weights around 350kg, a full boot with the seats down with my trackday gear and I'm yet to find any roads I've been down which have caused me to be ragging the engine. Driving it at 60mph, I get upwards of 60 mpg even with the trailer and boot load. This will come in handy as I've some continental holiday plans for next year so having the ability to easily get a range of 600 miles plus will have it's advantage.

I had a similar choice, got rid of my Disco sport for another Skoda.  I went for the Ocatvia, plenty of space for me and my family (4 of us) Superb would have been overkill for us.  I went for the 2.0 Diesel and DSG (having had the DSG in my Golf R, I loved it). So far I love it and importantly so does my wife!!  Engine, I have had before in Golfs a couple of times and it works perfectly with the 6 speed DSG.  I get 60mpg on my commutes and 45mpg around town/short journeys.  For me I would have diesel as our main car due to mpg/driving ease, I have petrol cars that I can use around town so not worried about that. For easy life DSG works well, and SE L trim works ideally for us.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, matrix2020 said:

I had a similar choice, got rid of my Disco sport for another Skoda.  I went for the Ocatvia, plenty of space for me and my family (4 of us) Superb would have been overkill for us.  I went for the 2.0 Diesel and DSG (having had the DSG in my Golf R, I loved it). So far I love it and importantly so does my wife!!  Engine, I have had before in Golfs a couple of times and it works perfectly with the 6 speed DSG.  I get 60mpg on my commutes and 45mpg around town/short journeys.  For me I would have diesel as our main car due to mpg/driving ease, I have petrol cars that I can use around town so not worried about that. For easy life DSG works well, and SE L trim works ideally for us.

Nice to see someone else going from a disco sport to an octy. Slightly worried I’ll miss the 4x4 and driving position but so fed up of it going back the dealer every month.

Hi all,

Been looking further into this,

I have come across a few options and wondering about price,

just under 13k, 17 plate superb estate 2.0 tdi dsg 45k miles

just under 11k, 66 plate octavia estate 1.0 tsi manual 35k miles

Any thoughts?

3 hours ago, Bugginbob said:

Nice to see someone else going from a disco sport to an octy. Slightly worried I’ll miss the 4x4 and driving position but so fed up of it going back the dealer every month.

Is disco sport short for Land Rover Discovery?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hr21 said:

Hi all,

Any thoughts?

Those are two very different engine options. I had a superb estate 2.tdi 150bhp but manual. Was an excellent car. Not driven the 1.0 tai octy but would imagine a fair bit more sedate but better for around town.

21 minutes ago, Bugginbob said:

Those are two very different engine options. I had a superb estate 2.tdi 150bhp but manual. Was an excellent car. Not driven the 1.0 tai octy but would imagine a fair bit more sedate but better for around town.

Yes, agreed re: the more sedate/ town driving - not really what I am after I guess - mainly a14/ longer journeys with family/ dog.

I will revert to looking for the 1.4 tsi or 2.0 diesel?

4 hours ago, hr21 said:

Hi all,

Any thoughts?

Price is based on the condition / history of the car so without more details can't offer any advise. Do you have a link to where they're advertised?

If you want to know if those prices represent value-for-money then rule of thumb is go look at cars, enter the information ( accurately ) in to a couple of websites such as WeBuyAnyCar.com and WeWantAnyCar.com. If they're advertised at a dealership then add a couple of thosand for dealer facilities / profit - if it's private then add whatever you're comfortable with and hey presto.

17 hours ago, Bugginbob said:

Sad but true, lovely car, but I could not trust it out of warranty!!  Wife misses it more than me!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Scot5 said:

Price is based on the condition / history of the car so without more details can't offer any advise. Do you have a link to where they're advertised?

If you want to know if those prices represent value-for-money then rule of thumb is go look at cars, enter the information ( accurately ) in to a couple of websites such as WeBuyAnyCar.com and WeWantAnyCar.com. If they're advertised at a dealership then add a couple of thosand for dealer facilities / profit - if it's private then add whatever you're comfortable with and hey presto.

Hi, here they are,

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201906118885796?radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=ip145jt&sort=distance&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&body-type=Estate&make=SKODA&year-from=2016&price-to=14000&page=1

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201909202427136?advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&postcode=ip145jt&year-from=2016&make=SKODA&sort=distance&price-to=14000&radius=1500&body-type=Estate&model=OCTAVIA&page=2

and found,

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201910233621614?advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&postcode=ip145jt&year-from=2016&make=SKODA&sort=distance&price-to=14000&radius=1500&body-type=Estate&model=OCTAVIA&page=2

11 hours ago, Scot5 said:

16 hours ago, hr21 said:

Any thoughts?

Spec (trim level) is important for determining if the pricing is OK or not, are these examples above SE L, SportLine, vRS, SE Business, L&K etc?

I currently average over 20,000 miles a year and I very nearly went petrol. At 12-15,000 miles, if you aren't towing regularly then the 1.4 TSI comes well recommended.

It is an absolute peach of an engine, reliable too (proven), and remarkably quick for what it is.

This is our 1.4 TSI 4x4 Kodiaq, a lot of weight right here and you'd never know from behind the wheel...

20190810_121939.thumb.jpg.cf4ce2cdda9f64a0d14bbabec4679b09.jpg

Thanks, another few I've found,

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201906199169322?make=SKODA&year-from=2016&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=ip145jt&price-to=14000&fuel-type=Petrol&model=SUPERB&radius=1500&body-type=Estate&body-type=Hatchback&sort=distance&page=1

and

autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201910012830619?make=SKODA&year-from=2016&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&price-to=14000&postcode=ip145jt&model=OCTAVIA&radius=1500&body-type=Estate&advertising-location=at_cars&keywords=1.4%20tsi&sort=distance&page=1

Looking at all of these on we buy any car, the 18 plate superb saloon 1.4 tsi is a very good price (list price is 500 above what they pay) and the 17 plate 2.0 diesel superb estate is reasonable price (1800 difference), others are all 2-3k lower than the list price - particularly the 1.0 tsi etc.

3 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Spec (trim level) is important for determining if the pricing is OK or not, are these examples above SE L, SportLine, vRS, SE Business, L&K etc?

I currently average over 20,000 miles a year and I very nearly went petrol. At 12-15,000 miles, if you aren't towing regularly then the 1.4 TSI comes well recommended.

It is an absolute peach of an engine, reliable too (proven), and remarkably quick for what it is.

This is our 1.4 TSI 4x4 Kodiaq, a lot of weight right here and you'd never know from behind the wheel...

20190810_121939.thumb.jpg.cf4ce2cdda9f64a0d14bbabec4679b09.jpg

What's the fuel towing all that lot