Geting regens when on holiday

9 minutes ago, Stevetewkesbury said:

Interesting and informative replies Thanks to everyone!!

Hope the argumentative nature of this thread hasn't put you off briskoda too much. 

There is lots of good info to be found on here (some of it even comes from rootietootie!) 

Some of the old campaigners on here like to get a big rev on sometimes 😉 its just how they roll.

I've had much more positive results with driving in a high gear and even urban driving for dpf regens when they've kicked in. It will also regen at an idle (when it's keeping itself at 1k revs) but a bit slower.

When you're driving around and you notice the car staying at 1000rpm when warm, it's likely doing a regen.

And yes, make the engine work a bit, I'd use the highest gear possible but use common sense!

10 minutes ago, micro said:

When you're driving around and you notice the car staying at 1000rpm when warm, it's likely doing a regen.

And yes, make the engine work a bit, I'd use the highest gear possible but use common sense!

At further risk of being accused of blindly following vag dpf recommendations. Is what you are saying not the complete opposite of what most manufacturers recommend to do? 

Edited by Gmac983

3 hours ago, Gmac983 said:

At further risk of being accused of blindly following vag dpf recommendations. Is what you are saying not the complete opposite of what most manufacturers recommend to do? 

To clean the filter, and where traffic conditions permit » , drive as follows for
at least 15 minutes or until the indicator light  goes out.
Gear 4 or gear 5 engaged (automatic gearbox: Position D/S).
Vehicle speed at least 70 km/h.
Engine speed between 1800-2500 rpm.
If the filter is properly cleaned, the warning light  extinguishes.

The manual only refers to when the light illuminates, my opinion refers to the case where you notice the car idling higher but no light and is entirely from my own experience watching data on OBDeleven and info from other forums.

The last regen I noticed completed when driving at less than 40mph/70kph (started and finished on 30mph roads) and counted as a regen (time from last regen).

Edited by micro

7 hours ago, Stevetewkesbury said:

So if i go on holidato IOW for instance and for 2 weeks do only short journeys to beach and back will my dpf suffer

In that scenario you may not be doing anything to facilitate a regen, but I would guess you will not be driving far enough to deposit a lot of soot in the dpf either, so it should be fine until you go back to your normal routine..

16 minutes ago, micro said:

The manual only refers to when the light illuminates, my opinion refers to the case where you notice the car idling higher but no light and is entirely from my own experience watching data on OBDeleven and info from other forums.

Whatevers working for you 👍

Edited by Gmac983