Octavia mk 4 no gearstick

5 hours ago, ccosmin said:

It about the skoda history. Cheap cars and you need to make compromises somewhere....  

The problem is the Mk1 and Mk2 Octy was relatively cheap, they had hard plastics and cheaper looking interiors compared to VW.  But they were still pretty refined and reliable. You never felt short changed.

The Mk3 has moved up in price and yes more tech. But the ride and noise/vibration/harshness is worse than the Mk2. And there are too many reliability issues.   For a car in mid spec with a more powerful engine you are at £25k, More than the equivalent Focus/Astra. Yes you get more space but at least those two ride well and are much better insulated.

Lets see if the Mk4 is back to winning ways.

Edited by logiclee

2 hours ago, logiclee said:

The Mk3 has moved up in price and yes more tech. But the ride and noise/vibration/harshness is worse than the Mk2. And there are too many reliability issues.   For a car in mid spec with a more powerful engine you are at £25k, More than the equivalent Focus/Astra. Yes you get more space but at least those two ride well and are much better insulated.

I have a 2007 MK2 Elegance 2.0 TDI 140 estate and a 2015 MK3 Octavia Scout 184 DSG. I find the later car to be quieter and more refined than the earlier car, but of course it is 8 years younger and a higher trim level with a different suspension set-up from the rest of the range. Reliability issues are of greater concern, and apply to other VW group cars, not just Skoda. So far my MK3 has been OK apart from the dreaded position P warning message. At the moment I don't know how that will work out, but it is not yet enough to put me off buying another Skoda or VW group car when the time comes. The size of the Octavia enables it to compete with Mondeo/Insignia sized cars, not just Focus/Astra, and whilst the exterior dimensions of the MK4 are only slightly bigger than the MK3, there is an extra 3 inches of legroom in the back. The Octavia estate is the best selling estate car in Europe, and from what I have seen of the launch the MK4 has been well enough updated to maintain that position. There have been no road tests yet, but I am sure it will drive well enough.

On 06/11/2019 at 19:52, Ju1ian1001 said:

yes but both front to rear lines had corroded through as the both run down the nearside of the vehicle, dual circuit system useless then, did manage to get back to the workshop in a safe manor using the foot brake and creeping along at about 5mph, customer had the work done, we replaced all brake pipes at his request although only needed the front to rears.  

Even so bizarre that they failed at exactly the same time?

On 07/11/2019 at 10:44, PetrolDave said:

I've just got back from a month in the USA where nearly all cars are automatics and EVERYONE sits on the brake pedal at traffic lights.

My 63 year old eyes did not like 3 very bright brake lights right in front of them for minutes at a time, especially after dark (no I don't have cataracts, just old eyes).

I have to agree with you, I still have horrible memories of an early morning commute from Fullerton to Santa Ana in the early morning freeway crawl.  California drivers never come out of drive except to go backwards or park.........

Having moved from a manual handbrake in a Z4 to an EPB in an Audi with the brake hold assist, I must say the EPB is a godsend at traffic lights and parking lot queues. However it does annoy when you’ve got it on while trying to reverse into a parking space and it keeps intervening until you switch it off. 

Meanwhile, I’m still adjusting to the manual handbrake in my mk3 RS and miss the Auto brake hold where it was helpful.

On another note, the DQ380 DSG does appear to disengage when I keep the brakes on and not when I pull the handbrake. If I were to lift my foot slightly from full braking, there is an increase in engine note but I’m not sure what the clutch engagement is like at this halfway point.

What would be cool is if that 'gear stick' could double as Audi'esque controls for the media system whilst the vehicle is in motion

Anyone know how this 'P' button works compared to the current DSG levers? Or is it even a button?

_1633027.jpg

Edited by Dave77

On 07/11/2019 at 17:49, logiclee said:

There's been many tests on this on the VW forums. (I had two new Passat's over 7 years)

For the DQ200 in autohold the clutches are fully disengaged.

For the DQ250 the clutches are held pre-bite point. On the tests done neither oil or clutch temperature increased while in autohold so friction and wear is negligible.

Thanks, very useful info. Any thoughts re auto-hold on the 7-speed DQ380?