Octavia mk 4 no gearstick

Buried in the text (see link) is the DSG lever replaced by rocker switch

Various engines, some lower power ones available with manual

Lots of details including dimensions

https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/press-releases/the-new-skoda-octavia-the-brands-icon-makes-great-strides-in-terms-of-technology-and-design/

some internal renderings showing no gear knob  

https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/models/octavia/the-all-new-skoda-octavia-take-a-look-inside/

Sounds like some sensible ideas like a USB-C port by rear view mirror (will be handy for dashcams)

Having lived with BMW's joystick and Jag's rotary selector on our other cars for the last 7 years it's time VAG ditched the PRND gear lever, there are better options.

Paddles are a must though.

Lee

1 hour ago, ccosmin said:

hmm..  might not be true.

I've seen other renders and sneak peak photos showing still a manual hand break  .. so..

Anyway keeping my fingers crossed... but targeting/dreaming for A4 Allroad :)

A manual handbrake in the Mk4? Why?

21 minutes ago, logiclee said:

Cos some of us are young enough ( at heart) to enjoy a sneaky hand brake turn on a deserted gravel ( or snowy) car park.........?

😜

Edited by Phil245
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, logiclee said:

I'm more in favour of a manual handbrake as well. The good ol' fail safe.

And as mentioned above, it does aid in the asbo grand prix around the asda car park

• Like 3

Vorsprung Durch Technik.

Manual parking brakes in Scala & Kamiq.

One might assume that VW Group knows something about just how many issues there are with e-brakes.

Lets hope that VW Group have learned loads from Ford and the Durashifts they had.

It cost me over £2,200 to have the actuator replaced on a 2001 Ford Transit with push button gear changes.

(It had been a Ford Demonstrator that should have been scrapped but a dealership had sold early. It was years later before i discovered that.)

3 minutes ago, tunedude said:

I'm more in favour of a manual handbrake as well. The good ol' fail safe.

And as mentioned above, it does aid in the asbo grand prix around the asda car park

I'f you want proper fun don't buy a FWD family hatch. :)  There's proper ways to slide the back end and that needs power to the rear wheels.

The Octavia by missing out on Electric Hand Brake also missed out on Auto Hold.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Roottootemoot said:

Lets hope that VW Group have learned loads from Ford and the Durashifts they had.

I

Ford are ditching dual clutch boxes as are some other manufacturers. 

VAG will continue with the dire DQ200 until we don't need gearboxes anymore.

5 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

Manual parking brakes in Scala & Kamiq.

One might assume that VW Group knows something about just how many issues there are with e-brakes.

Scala and Kamiq are smaller and cheaper platforms though.

Nearly all the Octy's rivals have EPB. Golf, Leon, Focus, Astra.

13 minutes ago, logiclee said:

I'f you want proper fun don't buy a FWD family hatch. :)  There's proper ways to slide the back end and that needs power to the rear wheels.

The Octavia by missing out on Electric Hand Brake also missed out on Auto Hold.  

My VRS has a manual handbrake and "auto hold".  If you hold it whilst stationery on the footbrake you get up to about 2 or 3 seconds when you take your foot off the brake before the brakes release, allowing you to pull away without rolling back.....

• Like 1

Ahh....right.     Whatever the terminology,  it does everything I need.  I consider the VRS to have the best of both worlds,  the Hill assist hold doo dah, and a "proper" handbrake.  There you go, a satisfied customer......😉

15 minutes ago, Phil245 said:

Ahh....right.     Whatever the terminology,  it does everything I need.  I consider the VRS to have the best of both worlds,  the Hill assist hold doo dah, and a "proper" handbrake.  There you go, a satisfied customer......😉

But if you had autohold you wouldn't need the handbrake. :)

Once you've had Autohold a manual handbrake is a pain.

(Autohold is a system that holds hydraulic pressure onto all four wheels and releases instantly. It doesn't actually use the EPB but VAG only fit it to models with EPB)

• Like 1

I say more of the good old manual handbrake, at least if your footbrake fails completely your can still stop the vehicle in a safe manor, all or most EPB's are disabled as soon as the vehicle is moving, leaving you with out any way of stopping.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

The have the DQ 400 -e for the Hybrids.  

That will be 'Proper job'.  

Boxes were lively in 2015/16 Golf GTE 1.4TSI , Audi A3 hybrid.

EDIT,  Typo on 'lively' but they  were, meant lovely. 

Screenshot 2019-11-06 at 17.52.02.png

Screenshot 2019-11-06 at 17.52.29.png

A VAG DSG with the complexity of 3 clutches and electric motor.

What could possibly go wrong?

Leave it a few years to get the numerous recalls out of the way or dive straight in?

8 minutes ago, Ju1ian1001 said:

I say more of the good old manual handbrake, at least if your footbrake fails completely your can still stop the vehicle in a safe manor, all or most EPB's are disabled as soon as the vehicle is moving, leaving you with out any way of stopping.

For VAG and most other manufacturers in an emergency situation you can pull and hold up the EPB switch and the parking brake motors will engage. If the switch is released the brakes will disengage.

2 minutes ago, logiclee said:

But if you had autohold you wouldn't need the handbrake. :)

Once you've had Autohold a manual handbrake is a pain.

(Autohold is a system that holds hydraulic pressure onto all four wheels and releases instantly. It doesn't actually use the EPB but VAG only fit it to models with EPB)

If the hydraulic brake/service/foot brake fails then no hill hold or auto hold, but you hold a car on a manual handbrake.

2 minutes ago, Ju1ian1001 said:

If the hydraulic brake/service/foot brake fails then no hill hold or auto hold, but you hold a car on a manual handbrake.

If the hydraulic system fails then yes you loose  footbrake and autohold.

You still have EPB which uses direct electric motors.