Octavia mk 4 no gearstick

I seem to remember, but maybe it was on Wikipedia so nonesense that the 'Third Brake Light' High Level brake light first came in in North America and then was adopted for Europe.

Maybe that was to do with Porsche's in the US and getting rear ended.

As a bike rider (pushbike & motor) i do like cars with lights on but High Level Brake lights on in rain in traffic can be a PITA when you come up behind them.

17 hours ago, logiclee said:

The Octavia by missing out on Electric Hand Brake also missed out on Auto Hold.  

Is auto hold the same as hill assist? The latter is available on Octavias without electric hand brake.

22 minutes ago, damjanev said:

Is auto hold the same as hill assist? The latter is available on Octavias without electric hand brake.

No hill hold assist will stop you rolling back or forward for a few seconds to assist you to hill start.

Autohold will allow you to come to a stop and release the brake pedal, It will hold you stationary until you are ready to move. Obviously this is great in an auto as you can pull up and stop in Drive and the car will just sit there until you press the accelerator.

VAG only fit this to vehicles with Auto box as there are fail safes. If Autohold is disengaged for any reason the EPB is applied.

Edited by logiclee
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, PetrolDave said:

I've just got back from a month in the USA where nearly all cars are automatics and EVERYONE sits on the brake pedal at traffic lights.

My 63 year old eyes did not like 3 very bright brake lights right in front of them for minutes at a time, especially after dark (no I don't have cataracts, just old eyes).

They are excessively bright for my 40 year old eyes too.

But, I've learnt to adapt. Leave a bigger gap between you and the car in front, this opens up your view and allows you to focus your eyes elsewhere, anywhere, just not directly at the brake lights.

Much like headlights. I cover quite a lot of rural roads on my 130 mile daily commute. When approaching a crest I've learnt that when an oncoming car crests the hill ahead of me, whether their headlights are 10 year halogens or 6 month old matrix LED's, if I look directly at them it is going to irritate. So I focus my eyes elsewhere, not off the road, but past the car.

Works a treat, we all have to adapt our driving to suit the fast pace of automotive innovation in some way shape or form.

5 hours ago, logiclee said:

No hill hold assist will stop you rolling back or forward for a few seconds to assist you to hill start.

Autohold will allow you to come to a stop and release the brake pedal, It will hold you stationary until you are ready to move. Obviously this is great in an auto as you can pull up and stop in Drive and the car will just sit there until you press the accelerator.

VAG only fit this to vehicles with Auto box as there are fail safes. If Autohold is disengaged for any reason the EPB is applied.

Eh? VAG has been fitting autohold to manuals since autobrakes were intoduced, in fact I might suggest ( but could be wrong ) they were the first to do so. Autohold used to be an option but when I was looking at a Passat ( the first VAG car with electronic handbrake in UK? ) it was recommended to specify Autohold as an option (£90) because many had complained about the car rolling back on occasion. It wasn;t that long before Autohold became std with electronic brakes.

As for DSG being held in drive -   Well it might be convenient but many put that down to a reliability issue with certain DSG's. To prelong life, it's best to knock the DSG in to neutral when stopped.

11 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

Eh? VAG has been fitting autohold to manuals since autobrakes were intoduced,

Yes, typing to fast for my brain while distracted.

What I meant to type was Autohold only available on vehicles with EPB due to the failsafe issue in my post.

13 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

As for DSG being held in drive -   Well it might be convenient but many put that down to a reliability issue with certain DSG's. To prelong life, it's best to knock the DSG in to neutral when stopped.

There's been many tests on this on the VW forums. (I had two new Passat's over 7 years)

For the DQ200 in autohold the clutches are fully disengaged.

For the DQ250 the clutches are held pre-bite point. On the tests done neither oil or clutch temperature increased while in autohold so friction and wear is negligible.

On 06/11/2019 at 15:05, ccosmin said:

hmm..  might not be true.

I've seen other renders and sneak peak photos showing still a manual hand break  .. so..

Anyway keeping my fingers crossed... but targeting/dreaming for A4 Allroad :)

Links to pics? All I've seen show the electric switch behind the gear "lever". and no big handbrake handle.

On 06/11/2019 at 17:41, logiclee said:

I'f you want proper fun don't buy a FWD family hatch. :)  There's proper ways to slide the back end and that needs power to the rear wheels.

The Octavia by missing out on Electric Hand Brake also missed out on Auto Hold.  

I presume you don't drive like that on public roads.

32 minutes ago, FlyingGecko said:

Links to pics? All I've seen show the electric switch behind the gear "lever". and no big handbrake handle.

Official pic Electric Handbrake.

Image may contain: car

Edited by logiclee

14 minutes ago, logiclee said:

Hi Logiclee, I think we're both saying the same thing here, that is, the about-to-be launched Octavia DOES have an electric park brake, not a mechanical lever?

1 minute ago, FlyingGecko said:

Hi Logiclee, I think we're both saying the same thing here, that is, the about-to-be launched Octavia DOES have an electric park brake, not a mechanical lever?

YES

I've seen the live presentation, nice look.

To bad i'm sick of the Skoda quality. It might be simply clever, but to much hard plastic, and noises inside the cabin, and this comes in a fully insulated O3. 

Edited by ccosmin

15 hours ago, logiclee said:

Finally caught up to the rest of the VW group... this setup (save for stubby lever) same as the VW Arteon I drove in Germany in July. Autohold with DSG is just the best thing ever for town stop/start driving.

2 hours ago, ccosmin said:

I've seen the live presentation, nice look.

To bad i'm sick of the Skoda quality. It might be simply clever, but to much hard plastic, and noises inside the cabin, and this comes in a fully insulated O3. 

How would you know, as nobody has done a proper test drive of the MK4 Yet, so you have no idea what the sound level is.

I find it amazing how many people are writing the MK4 off, just off a picture!

• Like 1