Remap reccomendations

barbusg60

Hi all,

Im based in Somerset and am looking to remap my 2006 VRS.

Its the BLT engined version, totally standard with a low mileage of 50k.

Ive come across PD Parts on eBay & Facebook who do a mapped ECU posted for £70 or visit them (in Leicester) and have it fitted and tested with data logging for £130.

Ive had a quote from Celtic Tuning for £300 who come to me (so no rolling road again) so quite a difference there.

Are generic maps ok to use? I want to do the best by the car but also dont want to waste money.

Does anyone know of any places in the Somerset/Wiltshire/Bristol areas they would recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

Thanks for the reply,

Thats good to hear. I have no plans to mod the car further, just to maintain it properly and regularly.

Ive spoken to the guys at PD Parts and they seem to know what theyre talking about and are not offering or recommending massive power, I think we decided about 165bhp and 280lb so as not to destroy the clutch etc.

As it a replacement ECU I could always remove if it didnt work out anyway.

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 1

On 11/11/2019 at 14:08, barbusg60 said:

Thanks for the reply,

Thats good to hear. I have no plans to mod the car further, just to maintain it properly and regularly.

Ive spoken to the guys at PD Parts and they seem to know what theyre talking about and are not offering or recommending massive power, I think we decided about 165bhp and 280lb so as not to destroy the clutch etc.

As it a replacement ECU I could always remove if it didnt work out anyway.

Cheers,

Rob

So they're selling an ECU from an old Fabia that's for parts. You wont know the source of the map so it could be a good brand name, or a cheap crappy one.

Always better to go for a reputable company; REVO have dealers all over the country and Celtic Tuning come to your door. More expensive but after all you're paying to keep your engine in good health.

Are they going to clone your ECU to ensure everything works - what about the immobiliser, are they going to disable it in the replacement ECU. At that price sound's more like you send your ECU in the post and they re-map that so no easy going back.  

I bought a blacksmoke map for £40 and a MPPS cable for £10 ish.

Has served me well but i don't know how it compares tbh

They have a 165 conservative or a 180bhp more agressive map which could wreck clutch or turbo. I went for 165

• Haha 1

Hi all, thanks for the input.

The one I was looking at is a replacement ecu with the immobiliser removed.

Im just so wary of getting it done as the car is a really nice example and I dont want to ruin it, or cause issues even.

I used to get my cars tuned at TSR in the old days and understand they are a revo dealer but you know what the internats like, Ive come across reports of people not being happy with them, and celtic tuning too.

Has anyone got any south west recommended tuners at all?

Cheers,

Rob

With respect, you are BRUTALLY overthinking this, you're buying a tried and trusted generic product and agonising over the brand.

If TSR are nearby then go get the car mapped there, you'll get a guarantee and they can always put it back to standard, the ECU swap is daft and there are pitfalls like damage in transit which can brick it and leave you with a car that doesn't run right.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, barbusg60 said:

The ones that seem to have had the highest recommendation are by Shark Performance but I dont think they are trading any more?

It’s an old Fabia. It’s not a Ferrari, any name brand tune will be fine. Celtic tuning, revo, Blacksmoke, Malone etc

You can still get 'Shark' Remaps, the I.P.  was taken over by RacingLine after they closed down, and Ben moved down to their HQ, but is still overseeing the mapping, or at least he was when I had my Daughters Car and my Van mapped last year, so you can still get a 'Shark' Remap.  Nearest to you would be Bridgewater or Newport probably.