Fabia Mk1 1.4p 8v Cooling system problem

KCross98

36 minutes ago, Wino said:

I'm a little envious Lee; I love getting that down and dirty inside engines!

Be patient and meticulous on the rebuild. :thumbup:

Haha, yes I'll be very careful with the rebuild.

Just cleaned up the manifold gasket face...

SS853883.jpg

Head face has some pitting but it's not very deep, so hoping the skimming will take care of that...

SS853900.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sepulchrave said:

That head gasket has been blowing for quite some time judging by the state of the mating faces.

Yeah, no doubt.

Edited by TMB

8 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

One of those inlet valves looks suspiciously clean!

It's just where I was wiping when I was cleaning the head. As you can see, it wasn't like that when I took it off...

SS853880.jpg

Edited by TMB

Never had a head skimmed before, do you have to remove the valves, studs etc? I want to put new valve stem oils seals on it so will probably remove the valves anyway.

Do they go through some kind of wash afterwards to remove swarf etc?

The machine shop will generally get the head set up on blocks and clamp it to the machine table without removing anything, and yes they will clean it after flycutting it. You might as well get them to replace the stem seals as well since they'll be able to do it much quicker than you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alexandru said:

That looks so similar with the problem I've had. I'm sorry to see this. 😢

Bloody hell Alex! Good to see you around! 😁

It was getting pressure into the cooling circuit from the combustion side, which is how a lot of MPI heads/gaskets fail. There is no water in the oil, so hopefully a skim and new gasket with meticulous reassembly will sort it out.

Head after skimming. Still looks a bit shit but the guy said it will be OK. I found a lot of swarf remaining in some galleries, so will be putting the air gun on it. Cost £60 for the skim and to install new valve stem oil seals.

SS853920.jpg

Before skim...

imageproxy-php.jpg

Edited by TMB

What was wrong with your piston rings Alex? My engine runs great and uses no oil, so I'll just be putting the head back on. It's only done 70,000 miles.

Edited by TMB

1 minute ago, Alexandru said:

Yes, the car will still have to be in use for at least 2 more years. So far, it did a decent job. I hope you fix yours. It's virtually indestructible this engine.

Glad you still have your MPI. I was driving a MK2 Fabia 1.6 Sport today and I prefer the power delivery of the MPI. Much more torquey.

Just now, sepulchrave said:

Looks good, £60 is a KILLER price as well for all that work, would've been nice if they'd put it through the parts washer though.

I wasn't sure whether the price was good or not but you know better than me about engine stuff, so if you say it's good, it must be good :thumbup: I checked to make sure that he had fitted the new valve seals and he definitely has. But yes, cleaning could have been better.