Fabia Mk1 1.4p 8v Cooling system problem

KCross98

Just now, sepulchrave said:

A nice new TEMAC gasket and all you have to do is put petrol in it for another ten years.

If only 😁

Just spent 20 mins giving the head a good blow (ooh Matron!). Got lots of swarf out but no more coming out now. Would have started putting the engine back together as it's lovely outside but I have a dental appointment in a few hours. Bah

31 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

You can still get a decent amount done before the dentists, strong winds from tomorrow will make things tricky unless you can work under cover.

Don't want to get dirty though. I guess there's no rush as my mate lends me his car if I need it.

Head back on, torqued up and manifolds refitted. Most other things reassembled, just bits and bobs to do. Want to give it a coolant flush and do the initial valve settings. Weather is supposed to be shit for the next couple of days, so will have to be patient.

SS853926.jpg

Edited by TMB
  • Like 2

If anyone's doing this job and wants to know what all the holes are, here's a pic...

bb.png

Edited by TMB
  • Like 2
  • Love it! 1

Bit of good weather this morning, so tappets set and all done apart from cooling system flush but I need a break from it as my back is aching 😣

SS853938.jpg

OMG it won't go. Starter motor sounds all wrong as though there is hardly any compression. I set the valves to the letter so god knows what's going on.

23 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

Check the valves are closing properly, set number 1 on compression and check the tappet clearances.

Holy fuck it's going! It was the tappets. I follwed the Skoda instructions to the letter but they needed backing off. There is no actual clearance just so many turns of the screw to set preload. If I set them so that there is just to say no play it runs.

This didn't work...

valve-clearances.png

Edited by TMB

25 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

I would have expected the tappets to be too tight because the head was skimmed. 

I know but I'd already adjusted them. Just drove it a few miles and it drives fine but it's definitely tappety. Will have to tinker with them again later. I'm not even sure the car is fixed because after the drive there was tons of pressure in the cooling system. More than I would think normal. Time will tell.

Just now, Alexandru said:

Are you sure that pressure isn't actually air ? I think I had to bleed the cooling system each time I flushed the coolant. 

Yes it could be an airlock Alex.