All Season Tyres....

Skobia59

After much head scratching over what brand to buy, I finally opted for a set of Maxxis AP2 All Season tyres.

I had the tyres fitted last week, and I have to say that driving in the current low temperatures and very wet roads I am impressed.

As well as the car feeling like it has much more grip, it also appears to have a smoother and quieter ride.

Early days yet, but I do feel they are good value for money and it will be interesting to see how they perform in the snow, if and when it arrives.

What size tyres do you have

For my car the Maxxis are about £120 each, so nearly £500 for a set, which is not really budget

215 / 45 R18 have always been silly size, and now that Quatrac 5 are out of stock most places, Maxxis is only one available 

8 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

What size tyres do you have

For my car the Maxxis are about £120 each, so nearly £500 for a set, which is not really budget

215 / 45 R18 have always been silly size, and now that Quatrac 5 are out of stock most places, Maxxis is only one available 

That must be frustrating for you. 

My tyre size is 195/55/R15 so I had quite a number of brands from which to choose.

Good luck with your tyres.

4 hours ago, Baggins said:

I'm thinking of all season 235 45 18, although when I look at tyres there's so many to choose from I end up saying sod it and close the tab.

Yes I know the feeling.

I became punch drunk trying to decide which brand to go for.

After reading as many reviews and tests as I could find, I opted for the Maxxis AP2 All Season.

For my own needs they seemed to offer what I was looking for, and at a decent price.

• 3 months later...

I just ordrred Bridgestone A005. I hope they will be great. In this moment i have GY 4seasons gen 1 and after 5 years, they are not good anymore. Something happened with the ryme...allthough they are looking as new.

21 hours ago, laur said:

I just ordrred Bridgestone A005. I hope they will be great. In this moment i have GY 4seasons gen 1 and after 5 years, they are not good anymore. Something happened with the ryme...allthough they are looking as new.

I have A005 on my Karoq and they have been very good in the rain / floods / mud of a Welsh winter this year. The winter has been mild, so no snow to speak of therefore I cannot comment on their snow performance. I have not been disappointed in the 6000 miles (10K KM) covered so far. Tread wear seems good, still look like new.

One downside, due to the open tread design the tyres seem to pick up a lot of small stones that stick in the tread.

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone

Back in November last year I had the set of Maxxis AP2 All Seasons tyres fitted to my Fabia. 

Although I've not had the chance to drive in any snow due to the mild winter we have had in my area, I have none the less been very happy with the tyres during the winter/colder months, be it travelling in wet or dry conditions and on various types of road, from lanes to motorways.  Now with the recent period of warmer temperatures (low-mid 20 degree centigrade) I just wanted to say that I am still very pleased with my decision to fit these particular tyres, which to date are more than living up to my own expectations. 

Regards.

20 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@Skobia59 They are very good. 

Have you inspected them closely for any sign of cracking, and have you adjusted the pressures for warmer weather.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/382657-maxxis-ap2-all-season-tyres

Hi

Thanks for your reply/comments....

Yes I'm a bit paranoid about keeping an eye on my tyre pressures so do check the pressures regularly and adjust as required.

I haven't inspected all that closely for any cracking, just a quick glance at the outer tyre walls whilst using the pressure gauge and a quick look at the treads to see how they are wearing. 

When I was choosing which brand of All Season tyres to purchase I liked the fact that the Maxxis offer a Lifetime Guarantee on their tyres.

Regards.

• 9 months later...

Hello everyone

This is just a quick update on my decision to fit a set of All Season tyres to my car at the back end of 2019. 

It's now been over a year since I had the tyres fitted onto my Fabia, and having driven through the different seasons, I can say that I am a convert to an All Season type of tyre.

I live in a cul-de-sac with a fair incline leading into it. Unfortunately it doesn't get gritted, and the recent winter weather has been a good test for the tyres capability on the snow.

Needing to  visit the pharmacy yesterday morning, I completed the journey with confidence, and on my return home I was able to drive up the snow covered and icy inclined road, back into the cul-de-sac and onto the drive without any bother or wheel spinning.

A short while later I saw my neighbour, and then a delivery van, driving into the grove, struggling for grip, with their wheels spinning.

There's a good choice of all season tyres available from a number of manufacturers, some more well known than others, so anyone wanting to fit a set obviously needs to do their own research as to which brand of tyre they should consider choosing and what sort of budget they wish to spend.  I found it useful searching out and reading as many reviews and tests as I could.

For myself, I took into account my type of driving, the car that I own, the mileage that I cover, and my location, and I opted for the Maxxis AP2. I am pleased with my  choice and feel it was money well spent.

Safe driving everyone.

• Like 1

I'd never not have all seasons or winters again. I use all seasons now as I can't be bothered swapping them over anymore.

A couple of years back we got some bemused looks from the neighbour as they were wheel spinning and struggling to get onto their drive (steep slope over the curb and path made it tricky). And I just pulled up with my winter tyres on and reversed straight in.

He came over and asked how I'd managed it. Lol

25 minutes ago, Phil-E said:

I'd never not have all seasons or winters again. I use all seasons now as I can't be bothered swapping them over anymore.

A couple of years back we got some bemused looks from the neighbour as they were wheel spinning and struggling to get onto their drive (steep slope over the curb and path made it tricky). And I just pulled up with my winter tyres on and reversed straight in.

He came over and asked how I'd managed it. Lol

Brilliant Phil-E......Lol

Must admit I felt a bit smug whilst driving on the white slippy stuff yesterday, and as you say, why wouldn't I always want to use all seasons in the future.

I have in the past tried to convince  some friends to go the all season route and failed.

One particular couple, who at the time were just about to replace all 4 tyres on the husbands car, explained to me it just wasn't worth it for the amount of snow we get, and anyway, they had doubts about all seasons being that much different to any other tyre.

So It amused me greatly when I spoke with the husband yesterday and he was complaining that he wasn't able to get either his wifes car, or his, off their sloping drive due to the snow/ice causing wheel spin. I felt really smug as I was telling him how pleased I was to have all seasons fitted, and that despite the conditions I had easily been able to get in and out of my grove, and down and back up the inclined road with no effort at all.

I got the feeling they may now look to get a set of all seasons fitted at next tyre change, at least for one of their cars.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Skobia59 said:

Brilliant Phil-E......Lol

Must admit I felt a bit smug whilst driving on the white slippy stuff yesterday, and as you say, why wouldn't I always want to use all seasons in the future.

I have in the past tried to convince  some friends to go the all season route and failed.

One particular couple, who at the time were just about to replace all 4 tyres on the husbands car, explained to me it just wasn't worth it for the amount of snow we get, and anyway, they had doubts about all seasons being that much different to any other tyre.

So It amused me greatly when I spoke with the husband yesterday and he was complaining that he wasn't able to get either his wifes car, or his, off their sloping drive due to the snow/ice causing wheel spin. I felt really smug as I was telling him how pleased I was to have all seasons fitted, and that despite the conditions I had easily been able to get in and out of my grove, and down and back up the inclined road with no effort at all.

I got the feeling they may now look to get a set of all seasons fitted at next tyre change, at least for one of their cars.

I find it amazing that some people dumbly think all seasons (clue in the name) are only for snow, and not seasons of summer, autumn, winter, spring

There are also those who don’t realise winter tyres are for colder weather, but seem to confuse them with Nordic tyres for use where lying snow exists for months. They seem to think summer tyres are for all weather, not realising they are poor in cold rain (and the low rolling resistance Eco summer tyres seem poor below +10c in wet) which of course we have months of in UK

• Like 1

This 10 degree thing is a bit of a nonsense really to keep repeating.  Until recently it was always being said to be 7 degrees.  Many parts of the UK will have much of the year with night time temps below 10 degrees C.  Daytime below 10 degrees C as well.   Summer tyres might well not be suitable in many conditions but many never use anything other than a car comes fitted with and do high mileages all around the UK day or night totally issue free.  There are tyres suited to wet roads that might suit lots of people for 42 weeks of the year and for the other 10 weeks or so they know when they might have issues.  That might even be only a few days of the years and they may be able to not even need to drive. 

On 27/01/2021 at 08:53, e-Roottoot said:

This 10 degree thing is a bit of a nonsense really to keep repeating.  Until recently it was always being said to be 7 degrees.  Many parts of the UK will have much of the year with night time temps below 10 degrees C.  Daytime below 10 degrees C as well.   Summer tyres might well not be suitable in many conditions but many never use anything other than a car comes fitted with and do high mileages all around the UK day or night totally issue free.  There are tyres suited to wet roads that might suit lots of people for 42 weeks of the year and for the other 10 weeks or so they know when they might have issues.  That might even be only a few days of the years and they may be able to not even need to drive. 

the +10c was derived from the +7c

from memory it applies to Eco or low rolling resistance resistance tyres (which Skoda now fit across increasing number of specs).  These are a bit harder than standard summer tyres.

I think the +7 is usually quoted crossover between standard summer tyres and winter tyres, am sure I have seen tests where it is nearer +9 or +10c in wet, and nearer +5 in dry.

I don’t disagree with probably only 10 weeks when less than suitable, but if you use that argument may as well say having weak (rather than good) brakes 18% (10/52) of time is ok

• Groan 1

15 hours ago, shyVRS245 said:

When I was at Kwik Fit recently getting the wife's Karoq MOT'd I asked about 215/50R18 Michelin CrossClimate All Season tyres and was shocked when they quoted with a 15% discount £807 for 4 including valves, balancing and VAT (fitted).

You can get Michelin CrossClimates for £50 each...obviously not in the very expensive 215/50R18 size.

It's best to change all-season and winter tyres when they reach 4mm of tread depth, so a low cost tyre size makes sense.

Edited by Carlston

• 2 weeks later...

So I've had chance over the last few days to test out the Hankook Synergy 4S all seasons.

We've had a load of snow and crazy cold weather (was -17c last night!) so the snow just isn't melting.

I am super impressed. I've been up and down hilly country roads, through the town in start stop, roundabouts, car parks etc. Been spot on and really good grip and feedback.

There was only one time where I got stuck. I parked up at work in fresh snow scraping on the bottom of the car. Then it snowed all day. I tried to drive off but the snow under the tyres had melted and turned to ice and then I couldn't push through the snow. Had to dig a bit of snow out the when and then managed to get out.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Was looking through the new Octavia brochure dated 1st April 2021 and it appears all season tyres are now in options list for £180 (not on first edition specs)

Haven’t yet checked other models

https://www.skoda.co.uk/_doc/43543ebe-b876-4be5-9692-5aa8d68b302b

• Like 2

I've had set of Michelin CrossClimate+ in 225/50x17 on the Yeti for c. 1 year and 8,000 miles to date.  They've been great in all conditions and especially on streaming wet roads with standing water.  Braking on snow and ice isn't quite up to the standard of the Dunlop D5 Winter Sport on my wife's Karoq but as a compromise all season tyre, they're very impressive.  They're also showing remarkably little wear considering how often I deploy all of the power and torque of my remapped car. 

• Like 1

There is a very good plus side to all seasons vs a set of pure winters plus a set of summers, you don’t change them over too early like I’ve done!  For both cars!  :crying: :crying:

73C72834-BBB9-4B96-B357-F0A2762B8C0D.thumb.png.641d37e7bff28646383e42fb22193316.png

We are slightly up and slightly left of the red dot in the cross.  

• Like 1