All Season Tyres....

Skobia59

It’s all my fault!  Just N of us.  :crying:

92F3C4F9-8A5F-4509-A38A-53F8C2980FCF.jpeg.f03a1c6498765705d5ebc74ebfca8278.jpeg

PS Just looks out the window and it’s snowing here!   :angry:

327ABB00-3B6E-4409-B68C-46EEF0D98CA9.jpeg.b297cb5bdd351a8c60172fd8f743e746.jpeg

Edited by DSL
  • Like 1

Remember a few years ago when Arran got hit really badly in spring?  ISTR it was several feet of snow on roads between hedges.  

Started to snow heavily here again, I might well get to see how the 4x4 side of my Karoq behaves without the magic glue that is on winter tyres!

PS And re lambs, hope the little new born lambs I was running past yesterday are OK, this will be a shock to their system!!

Edited by DSL
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/01/2021 at 05:08, Carlston said:

You can get Michelin CrossClimates for £50 each...obviously not in the very expensive 215/50R18 size.

and not in 205/45-16, which is a FII size at all.

I decided that Summer is here :biggrin:

so yesterday I removed 2 sets of Winter wheels and refitted 2 sets of OEM Summer wheels.

Just need to shine up the Winters and stack them in the garage to form a useful table for some junk.

So the snow gates are closed on n the A93 today so All Seasons are a pretty good call just now and for me the winter tyres will stay on all year as they are great just on flooded roads like yesterday.      Ner cast a cloot till May is pot. And winter tyres can do all year not just  around Christmas.   Tyres are not as appealing to thieves as puppies.  PS even  Sunny East Ayrshire,s driving conditions were rather crap yesterday..

Edited by e-Roottoot

You can all blame me for this rubbish weather, I took my winters off late March.   Living life on the ragged edge!  :D

• Haha 1

I've had Bridgestone A005 on full time for nearly two years , and find agreement that all season or winter tyres are a bonus in the rain. UK has iro 30% rainy days a year, 7 months average temperature of 6C and 5 months average of 14C.

So 30% rainy and 6C average temp more than half the year are good reason to use all seasons all year in the UK

Edited by Kenrw8

• 3 weeks later...

Had a front sidewall puncture , so bought a pair of Bridgestone A005 EVO 195 45 R16 through the AA and with membership discount  £176 fitted from National tyres

Edited by Kenrw8

4 Michelin Climate plus 225/45 /17 all in fully fitted £360... 1100 miles now covered ,big improvement over the original Hankook 29500 miles with maybe another 1000 miles wear left !

On 04/04/2021 at 16:53, SurreyJohn said:

Was looking through the new Octavia brochure dated 1st April 2021 and it appears all season tyres are now in options list for £180 (not on first edition specs)

Haven’t yet checked other models

https://www.skoda.co.uk/_doc/43543ebe-b876-4be5-9692-5aa8d68b302b

It's nice to see, but TBH they should be standard in the UK and an option of a summer/winter set at cost.

It would make new cars instantly safer in poor conditions we see a lot of the year and not noticably worse to anyone that isn't a rally driver in summer.

Those that want the best in the conditions pay for it, which they're used to doing currently anyway.

I can't see most people/fleets paying £180, but if they were standard I can't imagine too many typical buyers not accepting them.

I really do think the law should change to state that all cars sold in the UK must come with tyres appropriate for the season in which they are sold or to be used.
No point selling a car on summers coming up to winter and no point selling a car on winters coming up to summer.

Edited by cheezemonkhai
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, cheezemonkhai said:

It's nice to see, but TBH they should be standard in the UK

There are several cars where All Season tyres are standard fit from new.

Peugeot 2008, Fiat Panda 4x4, Skoda Yeti & some LR's come to mind.

The problems happen when the front two wear out and  pair of summers are fitted.

Thanks, AG Falco

1 hour ago, AGFalco said:

The problems happen when the front two wear out and  pair of summers are fitted.

Thanks, AG Falco

That would be a problem, but I do genuinely think the law should be updated. How many times does the country have to fall apart due to a few flakes of snow?

1 hour ago, AGFalco said:

I'm not so sure that's entirely correct.  I bought a 2016 Yeti SE L 150 TDI 4x4 at the beginning of last year.  It had only done just over 30K miles and I suspect was on its original tyres which were a matched set of Michelin Pilot Primacy. 

I looked at several others in main dealers before that and none of them were on All Seasons.  Mine is now on Michelin CrossClimates.  

16 hours ago, Schtum said:

I'm not so sure that's entirely correct.

Yes, not all of them are like that but some have come out with Pirelli P7 All Season.

The Peugeots tend to run Goodyear Vector 4season.

LR like Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season.

Pirelli only make just over 3400 different types of passenger vehicle tyres at the minute.

Down south here I run All season just through the winter.

Thanks, AG Falco

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wonder if there's a mistake in the noise chart of that latest All Seasons Tyres Review.  They show the summer tyre much quieter than the winter tyre & also quieter than all the All Season tyres except for the new Pirelli Cinturato All Seasons SF2. In 2020 the equivalent review found the Winter tyres generally quieter.  I couldn't find what those comparison tyres were this time - the info was available in last year's testing.

Disappointingly an aspect I'm very interested in, noise and comfort tests were a bit cursery this year, as  :-

1).     They couldn't do the rough road test this time to ascertain road noise in such circumstances, important to me.

2).     They couldn't measure noise levels inside the car this time at all, so only compared dB levels outside.  Qquietest outside doesn't necessarily mean quietest inside.

3)      The latest Golf 8 doesn't show up differences in tyres as much as earlier models, the Golf 8 suspension being very good at isolating car occupants from road noise rough and road ride.  From what one or two have said in the Karoq section, the Karoq though not bad in these respects, particularly with smaller wheels and higher profile tyres, isn't  as good and such aspects difference are thus more significant.

Michelin CC2 came out overall on top, having been much improved in most areas over the CC+.  The Pirelli came 2nd, being top for rolling resistance, road noise and top = for ride comfort (CC2 average in these respects) + not bad in other areas, though the CC2 generally a bit better in snow, wet & dry.  Last year the Bridgestone AW tyre was clearly in the lead for ride, but the 005 version this year clearly was not.  Most of the tyres tested were new models (Last year's winner, the Goodyear 4 Seasons Gen3 was one of the few unchanged - still did quite well).  All the tyres were XL - reinforced side walls except for the Nokian which interestingly was no better for comfort than the Pirelli & Goodyear

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2021-Auto-Bild-SUV-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

Auto Bild placed the Pirelli 6th & CC2 2nd overall in the SUV test.  They did agree the Pirelli was quietest when measured outside, but rolling resistance not as good as CC2.

At the moment, now gravitating towards the Pirelli for fitting on 16" wheels next year.

Another consideration is the Hankook Kinergy 4S 2.

In German all weather tyre tests they came 3rd place with Vredestein Quatrac and Bridgestone Weather Control in 2nd and 1st place.

I've been super happy with them so far. Have driven in all weather conditions including some awful thick snow and ice through the country etc.

They're nice and quiet and fuel economy has also been excellent.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes Phil-E, I've suddenly got interested in that Hancock Kinergy 4S2, following this week's Autoexpress magazine, where it came top out of 8 all-weather tyres.  It wasn't included in this year's 'Tyre Reviews' AW test but did well, coming 2nd in their 2020 AW review, summarized there as a hugely impressive tyre with no real weakness.  My particularly emphasis is for noise & ride which you comment on favourably & the tyre did very well for ride in the 2020 review, but noise was average.  However this week's Autoexpress notes that the tyre has been developing all the time and it was now the quietest on smooth tarmac - rather better than the Goodyear Vector Gen3 whereas in 2020 'twas the other way round. However noise on rough surfaces, sharp ridges etc., a much more annoying noise aspect for me, wasn't commented on by Autoexpress - let's face it, most tyres are pretty quiet on smooth tarmac, including my current Turanzas.

https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/2020-Tyre-Reviews-All-Season-Tyre-Test.htm

Other apects from an average snow rating in 2020, Autoexpress reckon it's developed into a really good tyre for snow.  It was always good in the wet, probably the most important safety aspect for me down here in the SE and is the best for aquaplaning.  Dry weather performance remains average, but I don't go racing around these days.  Rolling resistance is not that good, leading to 3% worse fuel economy than the best Pirelli, but hardly a significant cost penalty.  Wear is probably not a strong point either.  It's been off my radar up to now, but all-in-all it could now be top choice for my next set of tyres.

Strangely the Autoexpress review this week didn't include the new new Michelin X Climate 2.

• Like 1

I've done a good 6000km on them by now across all sorts of roads and terrains. Just came back from a trip across Holland, France and to the UK.

There were some bumpy and rough roads on the way and I can't say I've noticed the tyres being any louder than any others I've had over the years.

In fact I'd say they're perfectly acceptable and the noise level in the car is good and we're able to hold conversations and have music on quietly etc.

They're still looking like new but I suppose they should still do after only so few KMs.

• 9 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I had Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen 2 fitted 2 years ago (Gen 3 is out now), to my Octavia DSG. They were excellent in snow and rain but after 20k miles, the fronts were down to just over 3mm and they were an advisory on the MOT. Cracks on the edges and quite worn on the edges. The rears are fine and have 6mm left.

I decided to fit Michelin Cross Climate 2 to the front and they were superb in the rain on Friday. Hoping for some snow this winter as they are supposedly the best all season on snow. 

• Like 1

1.5 week ago I swapped original Bridgestones with Pirelli Cinturato All season SF2 and they are great, much quieter than Bridgestone and softer. I still always afraid of the snow and majority of the people still have worn summer tyres and they still drive to work/schools etc and stuck on any sort of the inclined surface which doesn't help anyone who has winter or all season tyres as you are stuck behind all other drivers!

• Like 1