Front brake discs - 3 months and warped!

Hello, 

As the title depicts, I fitted new Pagid discs bought here, and similar pads to the car in July.

Within 3 months they were oscillating under breaking, and giving wobble. This hasnt gone away, the pads are wearing evenly and I'm a bit dissapointed..

Are there any better discs out there I can choose from? I've had a search on the forum but couldn't find any specific posts about warping so it might not be a common problem. I drove the car sensibly for a could couple of hundred miles before giving it some beans - is it a case of harsh driving?!

Cheers, 

Joe

Pagid is a decent brand and tbh, no brand of disk should warp for no reason in that space of time without some abuse.

You most likely have something causing it, which in my experience is usually a caliper not sliding properly.

This causes the caliper to put pressure on one side only and warp the disk.

Or, the pad jams, having the same effect.  I usually file a touch off the end of the pads and put a bit of copper grease to stop it corroding and binding.

Also, my dad had similar issues of apparent warped disks a few times on his MK1 octy.

Transpired it was actually a suspension bush that had worn and that had the same symptoms in feel.

17 minutes ago, Alex-W said:

Also, my dad had similar issues of apparent warped disks a few times on his MK1 octy.

Transpired it was actually a suspension bush that had worn and that had the same symptoms in feel.

More likely to be a bush worn, or was the hub face cleaned up properly before fitting the disc as this can have the same effect.

6 minutes ago, krigl said:

Lower a arm rear bush probably. Put a polly bush in or a solid ruber one. 

The bush was redesigned on the MK3 to solid rubber, rather then the crap that was on MK2 (although both my MK2 had the modified bush and never had a problem.)

It's also reverted back to a flat bush.

Edited by Ju1ian1001

Cheers for the replies, I'll try and rule them out..

The hub faces were cleaned with a wire brush, greased and mounted correctly by yours truly 

The pistons in the calipers were a little sticky but were pushed back okay

- If these were not done correctly and were to blame - surely it would have been noticeable instantly?

The car had it's MOT last month and I was underneath the car with the mechanic who is a friend, all bushings looked ship shape

The only thing I can think to add is that on the odd occasion when the car is cold & travelling at low speeds, there is a knock coming from the front brakes..

14 minutes ago, smokeyshiva said:

The hub faces were cleaned with a wire brush, greased and mounted correctly by yours truly 

The pistons in the calipers were a little sticky but were pushed back okay

- If these were not done correctly and were to blame - surely it would have been noticeable instantly?

From my experience it's never been the caliper piston that causes the problem, it's the slider in the carrier.

The rubber bush gets damaged or perishes and the grease leaks out, the slider binds in the carrier and the caliper won't centre.

I've had to fix it on my cars, my wife's and a friend's car before now.

Usually more of an issue on rear brakes.

Generally you can buy seal kits for little money, free up the pins, clean them up, regrease and reassemble.  

Years ago i rather famously (within my circle of mates) warped the discs on my Vec B SRI ....... I drove home after a 2 hr drive and washed the car straightaway.  Cold water, hot discs ...... need I say more.

Havent made that mistake since !

You haven't by any chance driven through flood size puddle and had to stop at a junction or traffic lights

Any disc sitting in the cold water will cool very fast where water is flowing past it

EDIT : just noticed you live in Sheffield, wasn't there some flooding in that area ?

Edited by SurreyJohn

I'm going to jump in and defend you!! I've had Pagid discs and brakes from ECP and had to replace a warped set on my Range Rover P38. I wore them in for a few hundred miles by driving sensibly and I've no idea why they warped. I replaced with another make and not had problems since. I've also had problems with Pagid pads from ECP on my MG TF. In this case they didn't properly fit the calipers and I had to file them down. I've been a little put off Pagid which would have always been my default choice.

I'd agree, pagid aren't what they were. I'm wondering if ECP have bought them out and it's just their Eicher crap in another box. 

I tend to stick to either Brembo or Mintex from a local parts place. They're generally cheaper than Euro or GSF anyway, even with their 400% OFF! sales, or whatever they're having today.

I've often used bremtech disks for my Accord, from brakes international.  Paired with mintex pads.  Never had a problem.   

Just checked, I bought and fitted Pagid disks and pads last year for my wife's mazda.  Again no issues.

I strongly suspect it's not a fault in the disk as any disk shouldn't have an issue over that period of time on a normal car, with no abnormal external factors and normal driving.   Not saying it's not warped, just saying that something else caused it.  

• 4 months later...

To follow up - I stripped the front calipers and the runners were fine, weren't sticking at all. 

Replaced with pagid disks and pads and heavily sanded the mating face of the hub/disk and wallah! No more shuddering brakes!

Now to find an M14 spline bit to do the rears. 

20200323_135720.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smokeyshiva said:

Nah, upon checking the previous order details they were Eicher ones!

Never heard of them before ... Not saying they are good or bad, just never heard of them.