Warm heating, not hot

Pohsibj

I have had my 1.5 TSi SEL for a month now and am generally really happy with it but am posting a couple of seperate questions.

As it is a bit cold at the moment I want the car to pump out HOT air but even if I turn the heating up to MAX it really only ever comes out 'Warm' at best, even when the car temp is up to the middle. Is this normal ? I am guessing it is.... By way of contrast I can get my Citigo to pump out HOT air once the engine is up to temp.

• Like 1

My petrol Kodiaq blows out very warm, but never hot air.

It's enough to dry out my eyes and make it difficult to breath :D

One of the biggest benefits I've noticed moving from diesel to petrol, almost instant heat.

Mine is the came never blows hot ,but it is hot enough ,if you are heating the whole car say at 22c it will give an ambient temperature for the whole vehicle  so you will never get mega hot from the dash as it is sharing the heat throughout the system and will obviously cool down 

1 hour ago, Berisford said:

Yes, a curious phenomenon, just as it's never really hot from the vents it's never really cold with the air-con yet, cold or warm, the cabin is generally OK. 

Yep, I know exactly what you mean. I cant say I am freezing cold. The car reaches a reasonable temperature and with the heated seats it is comfortable but call me old fashioned, I like the blast of hot air on a cold day !

7 hours ago, Berisford said:

Parked up yesterday and remembered this thread so I took a quick snap..........70c is quite warm....🤔

Hmm. reminds me I have a digital thermometer. I will give it a go. How high was the control at that temp ? "Max" ?

4 hours ago, Pohsibj said:

Hmm. reminds me I have a digital thermometer. I will give it a go. How high was the control at that temp ? "Max" ?

Yes Max.....I suspect it may have gone a little higher.

Whilst the instrument clearly shows 70.5oC, I believe 49oC is the point in water temperature above which prolonged exposure would produce 3rd degree burns. 70oC is the maximum industrial temperature you are allowed to touch briefly. Therefore I do not see the air off temperature at the vent point being this high. Maybe the probe is touching something inside the vent. The better test would be to hold the probe a couple of inches in front of the vent. Berisford I wonder if you could try that please and let us know. Im not doubting the reading you took but it seems high for a warm air system.

Hi Berisford, my comment was intended to motivate others to join the discussion, because i am interested in this subject from an engineering point of view. Please see I did not doubt your reading but would be surprised if they had designed a vent system with such a high off temperature. Your additional input / readings would be welcome. 

• Like 1

It would be worth trying it with the connecting cable uncoiled, and the display/meter part further away, leaving just the probe in the airflow. I suspect that's having an influence.

As I often do, I hereby offer a free, proper, 'degrees C' for anyone who wants to copy it and use it in future, here, have a few - °C °C °C °C °C °C °C  

:)

Thanks for the 7 seas. I've  now found the little degree symbol,  °°°°°. Your first comments are exactly what is required to  help explain this high air temperature reading.