Approved used buys?

DC04R

About to put a deposit down on a vrs petrol. 

Not been able to view in person yet due to distance but have had videos etc and it comes with approved used warranty etc 

Have many of you bought them this way? 

Are the 2017 tsi engine a reliable and proven unit with all the older issues like turbo and tensioner probs ironed out? 

Are approved used warranties worth their salt?

And distance buying rules should come into place, should something not be right when I go to collect? 

Ta

Personally I would never buy a used car without seeing and driving it first but it us your choice.

Warranties vary a lot in what they cover (it is all in the small print). I would suggest that you get the seller you email a full copy of the warranty T&Cs and read then carefully. If you do decide to buy it then make sure that you examine it carefully, taking somebody else with you is good, and don't let the excitement of a new car and the fact that you have travelled a ,long way cloud your judgement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 2.0 TSI (EA888 Gen 3 I believe, but stand to be corrected) is a very well proven peach of an engine.  Like any engine, they need to be looked after properly.

I'm with Liger, and wouldn't buy a car unseen, but I know plenty of people do.  There was a recent horror story on here, a red Mk3 hatch, so it might be worth searching that out for some tell tale clues.

Gaz

• Like 1

• Administrators

If it's a main skoda dealer, I am led to believe you can get your deposit back.

I had the same promise made a dozen tine when trying to secure a car myself. I didn't believe them owing to past experiences; alfa, where i had to basically protest in the showroom to get it back. I did.

The site search exists in two places, a sitewide, google backed one is quite powerful here: https://search.briskoda.net and a more tailored one, but not as 'google' at figuring out what you're looking for is here: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/search/ this one you can at least restrict to the octavia forums.

Bought my approved Skoda Rapid Spaceback from Marshall's Barnstaple 2 years ago this week. I had 2 years warranty and breakdown cover. I had a leaky water pump changed locally to me in Capitol Newport no quibble.

The car otherwise has been excellent. I would not worry about the distance. The video and service gave me confidence and the best deal in the country at the time.

I have just had a video through from Bristol Skoda on a Citigo for my daughter. You may pay a little extra but its worry free motoring.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DC04R said:

Is the thread here mate? 

Sorry DC04R, on a late shift at work today.  George's (Roottootemoot) links are great, but there was another thread about a red Mk3 Hatch (EDIT: okay, so it was an estate 🙄) with photo's showing one of the front door colours not matching the rest of the car.  I'm not imagining it!

As Colin's said, the search facility works well and is your friend.  I can have a rummage tomorrow if no one else can find it.  I'm sure it was in the Octavia 3 forum, but I'lll be blowed if I can remember the thread's title 🤔

Gaz

Edited by CallmeGaz
Short Term Memory Loss
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Goodness knows why, but I can't copy the links 🙄 (but now I can)

The two threads I'm thinking about are:

and

Gaz

Edited by CallmeGaz
Got the links!
  • Like 1

I have bought this way twice in the last 5 years. My previous 2011 Octavia VRS TSI I bought over the phone, with a £500 deposit. Bought it from a garage, family owned and run for decades with good online reviews. I did state to them and it was agreed, that I would get the deposit back if the car was not as stated. It also had 30k miles on the clock. It came with a 3 month warranty, which I had to use once, as it did develop an inlet manifold problem. The car was fantastic for the 4 years I owned it. My present car as you can see, is also an Octavia VRS TSI, bought from Marshalls of Chesterfield earlier this year. It was owned by Skoda and came with 3k miles. Again left by phone a £500 deposit, with the same deal of deposit back if not as described. The car was in perfect condition and has been super reliable in the extra 10k miles I have racked up since. 

In the past and for me that is a very long time, I thought I would never buy a car in this way. However, if you are careful and do your homework, there are usually no problems. Both vehicles were being sold a long way from where I live and there was genuine interest in both vehicles from other parties, so it was also a way of securing the vehicles quickly. Never would I do it with a back street garage seller, or a private seller either. Too much risk!  

51 minutes ago, roaddetective said:

I have bought this way twice in the last 5 years. My previous 2011 Octavia VRS TSI I bought over the phone, with a £500 deposit. Bought it from a garage, family owned and run for decades with good online reviews. I did state to them and it was agreed, that I would get the deposit back if the car was not as stated. It also had 30k miles on the clock. It came with a 3 month warranty, which I had to use once, as it did develop an inlet manifold problem. The car was fantastic for the 4 years I owned it. My present car as you can see, is also an Octavia VRS TSI, bought from Marshalls of Chesterfield earlier this year. It was owned by Skoda and came with 3k miles. Again left by phone a £500 deposit, with the same deal of deposit back if not as described. The car was in perfect condition and has been super reliable in the extra 10k miles I have racked up since. 

In the past and for me that is a very long time, I thought I would never buy a car in this way. However, if you are careful and do your homework, there are usually no problems. Both vehicles were being sold a long way from where I live and there was genuine interest in both vehicles from other parties, so it was also a way of securing the vehicles quickly. Never would I do it with a back street garage seller, or a private seller either. Too much risk!  

Thanks a lot. I've gone ahead and put a deposit on it. 

Thinking back, it doesnt seem to matter anyway as the last 4 cars at least, that I've seen and bought have been problematic! 

Mind you they've always been much cheaper, older, more miles and private. 

Hopefully a User approved, newer and lower mileage car should be my risk mitigation! 

Changing the springs for ones that are not as OEM or a dealer fit option voids claiming on the suspension under warranty more than likely and maybe if you had a drivetrain issue they might also try voiding that.

So you decide, only real issue should be the dampers and springs would not get a 'warranty claim.

Different wheels of the correct spec should not void anything other than the wheels, and again the suspension which was affected anyway by the springs if not OEM.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...