Petrol or Diesel?

nickg65

Hi Folks, 

Just a bit of advice please.

I'm thinking of changing the Mrs' Roomster  (1.4tdi 80) for another one, hopefully within the next 6 months as it's got well over 200, 000 miles on the clock & was wondering which is best out of a 1.6tdi & a 1.2tsi.

There are quite a few low mileage ones out there, so was wondering how much of a drop in mpg I would see if we went for petrol.

Also concerned about the dreaded DPF if we chose a diesel as I believe 1.6tdi models have them.

Her journey to work is on fast A roads & a by pass with hardly any start- stop traffic.

Any thoughts/ recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance 

Nick G

I have a 1.2tsi 110bhp, think its great. Avoid the 90bhp it is only 5 speed, you need the 6 gears to give good economy on a motorway run.  Av about 50mpg at 70mph. 

Personally i would avoid diesels now as all the signs are they likely to be taxed off the road in future?  ( just an opinion.)

I have the 1.6TDi and say you can forget the DPF.  After 65k miles I hardly even know it's there.  Mine has NOT had the emissions "fix".

That said...

The 1.6TDi is only Euro 5 standard for emissions.  With the demonization of diesels and in particular anything less than Euro 6 I would personally go petrol.  But of course widespread views like mine have pushed down the price of diesels so if you are prepared to take the risk and don't intend going into Bristol any time time soon they may be a bargain buy.

I've had mine for 6.5 yrs from new and love it.  I intend keeping it until it dies or until the anti-diesel lobby make it impossible to run.  As someone else has said, if your 1.4 is running OK I would be tempted to keep it until it dies or until you can get a nice fat scrappage payout. 

I would try and get one of the later 1.2tsi  

Will use slightly more fuel, but they are surprisingly economical

Too many places are looking likely to restrict diesels, especially anything that isn't euroVI (and Bristol looks like it is going 100% no diesel or a penalty)

23 hours ago, silver1011 said:

1.2 TSI every time.

Another vote for the 105bhp 6-speed variant too, if just for the instant heat in the winter...

The Roomster was never fitted with a 6 speed box.  The later models all had 5 speed manual boxes or a 7 speed DSG available on the 1.2TSi 105PS only. 

• Like 1

i was misleading , sorry i was referring to the engine types generally rather than the body . yes it is correct that the Roomster didnt offer the 6 speed version, you would need to have the fabia etc

I've had a 2010 1.6tdi manual,  did 45k miles at actual 56mpg.

I swapped to a 2014 1.2tsi dsg, have done 33k miles at actual 44.5mpg.

Look on here for comprehensive real life fuel consumption figures  across Europe.

Sprit Monitor

The extra cost of diesel somewhat mitigates the difference, but not entirely.

I do approx 30% in town driving, most of the rest on the M25.

The diesel had dpf troubles, I found myself once in central London with the regen indicator on and no way to get somewhere I could run it hot enough to regen. Needed a new EGR valve. That was the final straw. The engine was great, but strangled by the emission controls.

The petrol is much quieter, the dsg is a delight. Apart from a free software update to improve temp control on gearbox fluid it has needed nothing but service items. I feel the ride was better in the diesel- heavier engine?  Both cars transmit a lot of road noise, more noticeable in the petrol one. The engine has a chain cam, never needs replacement.

I'm happy I changed.

• Like 1