Fuel consumption.

Taggs

@Scot5 You a bit of a cracker are you not!   So smart it seems to be, in your own mind.

I know what it says, i linked it and have known what it said since the day Motability put it up.

It is still not an average.

The last decades of Testing before the WLTP were also for comparison purpose only as the manufacturers pointed out but 

people ignored.

As to as good a description, there have been links on here for years setting out exactly how the testing was done on a vehicle with 3,000 miles on it and  then the difference cycles, videos on here as well, and the Skoda Fuel Consumption statements on how for comparisons.

I was linking the old statement as much as 8 years back, then the new one when it came out.

http://skoda.co.uk/owners/wltp-info

Screenshot 2020-03-03 at 23.21.28.png

Screenshot 2020-03-03 at 23.24.44.png

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

Anyway going to end this now about mpg figures

I used to own a vw golf gttdi  pd 130 remaped to 185 that was mk4  and 52 plate 

best car I ever owned  40 mpg round town 

25 to 35 track days and 60mpg Sunday driving LOL

I really think vag engines have gone dogs lately  

don't think I will ever get another vag car again 

they was better in the day before 2008 

vag scandal 

Always been petrol head 

looking more like demolition man every year 

no fossil fuel cars  no meat no toilet paper

mustang  rat burger and F*** **  just so I don't have to use the two sea shells  

• 2 weeks later...

Just to keep this fuel consumption thread ticking over, I reported some weeks ago that I attained the dizzy heights of 53mpg (as shown on display), on the return 150mile trip from Bristol along M4 & M25 (fair bit of M4 is 50mph limit).  SE Tech DSG 1.0 MY19 Karoq with GPF, now 5300miles.  I'm pleased to report that this wasn't a one off, as on the same return trip a week ago, I got 53mpg again (brim to brim corrects this to 51mpg of course).  The traffic was pretty light for a Monday morning (coronavirus stay at home effect maybe starting to be a factor).  As before, ACC was set to 75 on 1st bit of M4, then 53mph and finally 70mph on M25, but I did speed up now and then to get past clutches of vehicles - got up to indicated 90 once, so not driving in an especially economical way.  Temp was a quite warm for time of year at 11-12*C as before, which helps.

I notice from BBC TV weather reports, the prevailing winds blow almost directly in the direction of Bristol to London, so that maybe partly explains why the return trip was better than the 48mpg indicated going out journey, but there was a 10-15min traffic jam going out too, which must be factored in.

A trip up to Derbyshire from London previous weekend up the M1 - there and back in one day including going over the moors to Sheffield showed just under 44mpg, but more hills and it was colder, but nice and sunny as I got up North.  Just to add, that run seemed somewhat more relaxed than when I used to do it regularly in my previous Yeti a couple of years ago and definitely more relaxed compared with my last but one Saab 9-5, but that was getting a bit old and noisier.

Being an over 70 old crock (sounds like Karoq), so I'm in the more at risk coronavirus set, I wonder if the government will soon be cramping my style and not letting me go out in my lovely Karoq.  Hope not, I'd soon get withdrawel symptoms.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Thought I would carry out a mini experiment as I'm borrowing the wife's Karoq SEL 1.5TSi manual for 3 shifts this week and as I was a bit late leaving the house today realised I had to drive at 70mph on the M1 section of my commute (2,250rpm in 6th gear) and averaged 45mpg which is what her car does according to the maxidot long term computer. However yesterday keeping revs down to 2,000rpm on the motorway the car averaged over 52mpg which suggests SUV's and their poor aerodynamics really start to use fuel once the speed rises.:nerd:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Thought I would carry out a mini experiment as I'm borrowing the wife's Karoq SEL 1.5TSi manual for 3 shifts this week and as I was a bit late leaving the house today realised I had to drive at 70mph on the M1 section of my commute (2,250rpm in 6th gear) and averaged 45mpg which is what her car does according to the maxidot long term computer. However yesterday keeping revs down to 2,000rpm on the motorway the car averaged over 52mpg which suggests SUV's and their poor aerodynamics really start to use fuel once the speed rises.:nerd:

Hi what was the speed to keep it at 2,000rpm I have forgotten what it's like to drive, 10 miles every week if I am lucky...

Fuel economy has many variables, my son took my 1.5tsi dsg with 1700 miles on the clock, on a 19 mile cross country trip, no main roads and of course little traffic at the moment, travelling to work with the idea of charging up the battery and then the return journey. His return trip recorded 43.2 mpg in standard mode. I have recorded 47+ for this same trip in colder conditions in eco mode with more traffic about. Style of driving and speed are the 2 main factors on this journey. My 2.0d 5 series bmw auto on a long run up the motorway produces its best fuel economy at 80mph around 2000 rpm but that gearing is not very helpful in a 70mph climate. I've  just paid £1.087/ltr for diesel which is great but of no use at all as I can't  use the car for at least another 3 weeks.

• Thanks 1

Forgot to mention we have the Karoq in Sport mode but I doubt it makes much difference compared to Normal or Eco IMHO. We are much busier than normal for this time of year considering we sell toys. Staff were in for 8 hours on Good Friday, Easter Monday and today (Saturday), picking, packing and dispatching 4,000 orders per 8 hour shift all over Europe to peoples homes. Agree driving style and empty roads clearly helps fuel consumption as well as warmer weather.:thumbup:

1 hour ago, Widescreen said:

Fuel economy has many variables, my son took my 1.5tsi dsg with 1700 miles on the clock, on a 19 mile cross country trip, no main roads and of course little traffic at the moment, travelling to work with the idea of charging up the battery and then the return journey. His return trip recorded 43.2 mpg in standard mode. I have recorded 47+ for this same trip in colder conditions in eco mode with more traffic about. Style of driving and speed are the 2 main factors on this journey. My 2.0d 5 series bmw auto on a long run up the motorway produces its best fuel economy at 80mph around 2000 rpm but that gearing is not very helpful in a 70mph climate. I've  just paid £1.087/ltr for diesel which is great but of no use at all as I can't  use the car for at least another 3 weeks.

I payed 130.9p/litre for unleaded petrol yesterday at my local rural filling station and the standard diesel was 135.9p/litre, regarding fuel sales locals using less and they are missing the tourists up here although a lot of the 2nd homers are here trying to outrun Covid-19, nearly a 50% increase in my small village alone.

6 minutes ago, Apprentice said:

I payed 130.9p/litre for unleaded petrol yesterday at my local rural filling station and the standard diesel was 135.9p/litre, regarding fuel sales locals using less and they are missing the tourists up here although a lot of the 2nd homers are here trying to outrun Covid-19, nearly a 50% increase in my small village alone.

Blimey in Leicestershire unleaded is about £1.03 per litre at say Asda or Sainsbury's superstore garage at the moment.;)

Apprentice you have my sympathy both with fuel prices and visitors. My wifes family live in rural Wales and we often visit and stay but we cannot for 3 reasons. The government has told us not to, the locals don't  want us there and selfishly its 40 miles to the nearest hospital. I will just have to wait.

Thats a good result. I travel 280miles to my daughters, one way, and if I could get this average from the petrol Karoq, and factoring in the difference between petrol and diesel cost then it would be almost even between using the Karoq or the 2ltr bmw diesel. That suprises me.

• Thanks 1

I once got a reading of 51mpg doing a 44 mile round trip on a local A class road and a few miles of single track road before the 1.5 engine issue updates were applied and the Karoq had only been driven for around 2000 miles but since the updates never get more than around 45-48mpg at best.

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 20:10, Scot5 said:

Can you post up the long-term display over the last 2000 miles? 

Just worked out actual fuel consumption over the last 2,289 miles and 273.47 litres used (60.16 gallons) at an average of 38.05mpg.:clap:I would send a photo but no signal at work at the moment.:speechless:

Having Googled the VAG 1.5 engine it would appear the general concensus is that it is one of the worst engines they have produced and nowhere near as good as the previous 1.4 unit. I have read so many articles on the 1.5 and it seems that if you are lucky enough to have a good one they are great, but then there are those which are never quite right and burn lots of oil, give lousy mpg and are rather noisey. This engine is being used throughout the VAG makes, VW, Audi, Skoda and Seat and there are so many complaints about the aforementioned problems I wish I had read them before I bought my Karoq cos I certainly have one of the poor ones.

I am a very careful driver and have always managed brilliant mpg from my cars over the years, but I just cannot get over 45 mpg out of my Karoq how ever hard I try.

That together with the oil burning and the rough noise the engine produces while accelerating is very disappointing. None of my VWs and my previous Skoda have suffered this way which is why I bought the Karoq. I love the styling and all the extras you get but with a bad engine it spoils the whole experience. This is being found by all the above VAG owners and quite a number have taken their cars back for a refund or replacement. I wish I had been more insistent but my dealership told me there was nothing wrong with my engine and it met all the criterior on the computer. If only I had known of all the common complaints at the time I would have given mine back. As for the updates they only make things worse. The last one was to sort out the kangarooing problem which this engine suffers. I didn't have that problem as it only affects manual cars, but the dealer insisted I had to have it, and guess what??? it made the economy even worse. I'm sure this is because all they have done is richen the mixture because they were made very lean to meet the latest regs. I do believe this is my last VAG car which is a shame as I have been driving them for over thirty years and been very happy. Since the diesel debarkle I think they have gone downhill.

• Sad 1

Reading various posts over 6 months I came to the conclusion that the build quality and tolerance in manufacturing of these 1.5 engines produces a whole range different experiences for the owners. In my first post I said I had not owned  a Skoda before, would it prove to be a mistake? I have so far not had any problems at all but it will be my last Skoda / VAG for sure.