Skoda Rapid 1.6 CR TDI 2015. 105hp CAYC

Hello,

I have bought this car coming from my Smart and i was really happy until i somehow suddenly got cursed and typed - Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI review- and found out ive got the "worst" engine ever made!

So i have took few days to read every single forum that i could find and i believe over 90% of all topics ive found are about failing SIemens VDO injectors which are about 600€ each at official local Skoda dealer ( or 10% of complete car value per part= 4 pieces almost 1/2 of cars value), and the other things i found out are failing DPF, more often EGR valve and that sums all the major issues. Now i am a bit disappointed because forums in my country also stated that Bosch injectors are serviceable more than VDO /Siemens ones are and with VDO its always a gamble and there is basically no tool ("table") for servicing them and many of the repairs for them are taken on the Bosch tools ( "Tables"). But while i went to the more recent forums ( 2016. or younger) ive found out that there might be a newer injecting system which is solved in the later models. So again, i have Skoda Rapid 2015. ( early 2015) which is i believe the latest and one of the last 1.6 4-cylinder CR TDI options manufactured by Skoda.

So here comes the question, what injectors do i have and, since my car has 160.000KM on the clock, what can i expect from this car/engine on the long run ( i plan on keeping it for a 4-6 years and i fill it with only the best diesel fuel available in my country, and i drive around 10.000-12.000 KM per year)?

Thank you.

Are you in Europe or India? There are 2 completely different cars called Skoda Rapid sold around the world. The only ones I have seen complaining about extortionate prices for injectors on here are from India. You could search the Rapid forum here for "injector" and see how many threads appear from the last 8 years, but there haven't been many at all.

Also be aware that most people only post when something goes wrong. Thousands of other Rapid owners don't have problems with the car, so they don't complain on the internet forums.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Thanks 1

As for the test of it, DPF and EGR problems are a normal part of owning many brands of modern diesel engine. They are all expensive to maintain in proper tune, so I have gone back to petrol because it's cheaper.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, mraleximer said:

Hello,

I have bought this car coming from my Smart and i was really happy until i somehow suddenly got cursed and typed - Skoda Rapid 1.6 TDI review- and found out ive got the "worst" engine ever made!

So i have took few days to read every single forum that i could find and i believe over 90% of all topics ive found are about failing SIemens VDO injectors which are about 600€ each at official local Skoda dealer ( or 10% of complete car value per part= 4 pieces almost 1/2 of cars value), and the other things i found out are failing DPF, more often EGR valve and that sums all the major issues. Now i am a bit disappointed because forums in my country also stated that Bosch injectors are serviceable more than VDO /Siemens ones are and with VDO its always a gamble and there is basically no tool ("table") for servicing them and many of the repairs for them are taken on the Bosch tools ( "Tables"). But while i went to the more recent forums ( 2016. or younger) ive found out that there might be a newer injecting system which is solved in the later models. So again, i have Skoda Rapid 2015. ( early 2015) which is i believe the latest and one of the last 1.6 4-cylinder CR TDI options manufactured by Skoda.

So here comes the question, what injectors do i have and, since my car has 160.000KM on the clock, what can i expect from this car/engine on the long run ( i plan on keeping it for a 4-6 years and i fill it with only the best diesel fuel available in my country, and i drive around 10.000-12.000 KM per year)?

Thank you.

Welcome to the world of owning a 1.6 TDI engine I'm afraid. Only last week I had the change the EGR valve and it was a costly repair. Also had issues with the DPF aswell and other issues with a total gearbox failure, again very costly. As camelspyyer says better off with a petrol as there is less parts to go wrong but appreciate you have just brought the car. 

As for things going wrong further down the line I would budget for potential costly repairs if you are planning to keep the car for a while going with my experience owing one. I know a few people who have had Rapids as taxis and never had any problems. But they aren't really living with them so to speak, trade ins after only a few years and only putting about 50k on the clock at best.

I am on my second 1.6 TDi and the first one was in a Fabia 2 estate back in 2010 and it never gave me any trouble. Infact it is shown on the MOT as having completed 118k at its last MOT and doing 16000 miles a year. My current Octavia has 34000 miles with no issues. 

• Like 1

On 09/12/2019 at 17:35, mraleximer said:

So here comes the question, what injectors do i have and, since my car has 160.000KM on the clock, 

I would be a bit surprised if you had the original injectors, still after that mileage

3 hours ago, Burchy said:

I would be a bit surprised if you had the original injectors, still after that mileage

????

My Citroen TUD3 diesel engine had 275000KMs on it when sold on  (still running), and the only engine part that had ever been replaced was a glow plug (only one, the other was seized in)

Comparing the parts listing for 2013 and 2015, the injector part number seems the same 03L130277B (item 12 in each):

2013 https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/rapid/rap/2013-740/1/130-130020/

2015 https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/rapid/rap/2015-740/1/130-130020/

I'm not sure if what was actually fitted to the cars in those years was this part number, or whether the parts catalogue is offering a part number that has superseded others; I don't have a way for looking up what numbers a current part number was superseded from, if any.  See if you can see a part number on the ones in your car?

Searching oemwolf.com (which is good for looking up whether part numbers have been superseded) for 03L130277, or 03L130277A suggests that neither was ever fitted to a Rapid, as far as I can see.

The 03L130 277B part number was discontinued without replacement in VWs and Audis in the USA in 2011, according to that same site.

3 minutes ago, Wino said:

Comparing the parts listing for 2013 and 2015, the injector part number seems the same 03L130277B (item 12 in each):

2013 https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/rapid/rap/2013-740/1/130-130020/

2015 https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/rapid/rap/2015-740/1/130-130020/

I'm not sure if what was actually fitted to the cars in those years was this part number, or whether the parts catalogue is offering a part number that has superseded others; I don't have a way for looking up what numbers a current part number was superseded from, if any.  See if you can see a part number on the ones in your car?

Searching oemwolf.com (which is good for looking up whether part numbers have been superseded) for 03L130277, or 03L130277A suggests that neither was ever fitted to a Rapid, as far as I can see.

The 03L130 277B part number was discontinued without replacement in VWs and Audis in the USA in 2011, according to that same site.

3 minutes ago, Wino said:

Well now you have confused me...

What does that mean to my car?

I didn't say you could.

The part number ending in B was only discontinued for VW and Audi cars in the USA, not anywhere else in the world.  I only added that information because it came up here, when I looked up whether 03L130277B had been superseded by any other numbers.

Sorry, it was confusing and probably an unnecessary detail.

1 hour ago, Burchy said:

That's very good reliability

My MK1 Octavia 1.9tdi mechanical injection had done 525000 kms and the engine was still running like a swiss watch, never burnt any oil after 300000kms when it was finally run in, was still returning 60mpg average, only parts replaced were coolant temp sensor and one cam belt one time only, no pulleys, tensioner or water pump, just £8 for the belt, still original injectors, glowplug & turbo.

Just recalled I changed the alternator brushes at about 350000kms.

• Like 1