2015 30k Cam / Timing belt change suggested by dealer/service

Hi,

Not had any water pump issues on my 2.0 CRDI Elegance. Only done 30k miles.... Seems 4 years is short for a cam belt change? Especially with such low mileage in normal heat/dust conditions. What do you think please?

Feel held hostage somewhat by the thought of catastrophic failure....

Ta

Prepare yourself for much conflicting advice but if I were in your position, then assuming you don't rack up an uncharacteristic huge mileage in the next year, the cambelt + waterpump would be changed on the car's 5th birthday.

12 hours ago, lpt100 said:

Hi,

Not had any water pump issues on my 2.0 CRDI Elegance. Only done 30k miles.... Seems 4 years is short for a cam belt change? Especially with such low mileage in normal heat/dust conditions. What do you think please?

Feel held hostage somewhat by the thought of catastrophic failure....

Ta

As Scot5 says, prepare for some conflicting advice. In a way you are held hostage by the the thought of catastrophic failure. But, in any case, the time period Skoda UK state for replacement of the timing belt is definitely 5 years, not 4.

I wouldn’t worry about it at all until 5 years.

I've got 4 degrees, including a PhD.

And I can't add 5 to 15.

Moron. 🤦‍♂️

The car is 5 in Jan (reg'd Jan 15), but still low millage. However as rubber etc ages I'll have to bite the bullet. 

Thanks for the replies. 

• Haha 1

Its a tricky one with such low mileage.  If you are aiming to stick with official skoda UK 'rules' then get it done in the new year.  Other markets either have a longer time frame or none at all so you may be ok letting it go a little longer.  I don't think the way you drive affects it much either.  Mileage and time are the deciding factors.  I'd be tempted to go to 6 years as that will still be dramatically low mileage compared to stated life.

• Like 1

I will have a similar dilemma next summer, when my car will be 5 years old with less than 30,000 miles. In other markets the belt is fitted "for life", with inspections at higher mileages. I will certainly keep the second cam belt for more than 5 years.
My 2003 Focus had its changed at 10 years and 100,000 miles. Cam belts in Britain are obviously not what they used to be.

Edited by Rodge

8 hours ago, Rodge said:

Cam belts in Britain are obviously not what they used to be.

My theory is that the UK market is more inclined to battle with the the manufacturer to get them to pay up when a belt fails inside the term. So, UK market offices state shorter timeframes to prevent 'claims' being made.

2 hours ago, MarkyG82 said:

My theory is that the UK market is more inclined to battle with the the manufacturer to get them to pay up when a belt fails inside the term. So, UK market offices state shorter timeframes to prevent 'claims' being made.

Laharts Ireland advertising it's every 4yr which conflicts with VAG Europe.

Down the road in Dublin, another dealer says every 360,000km and makes no mention of a time interval  Dublin

VAG is as ****'d up in the rest of the world as it is here in the UK.

My independent VAG garage also quoted 5 years as a time which seems very early on, especially since I am less than 30k on a 2014 Octavia.    As Rodge said I had two Focus's with 100k and 10 years for intervals.

Looks like we are going backwards.

The indi VAG mechanic stated its also not possible to inspect the belt these days to reliably say if it's worn or wearing.  A choice we have to make, whether to change early or stick with the Octavia book which states way over 100k with no time interval to change at.

Skoda dealer has also been pestering me to change the belt since I am on their records with a 2014 Octy. Not that I would ever go back to them for any work.

• Like 1

The Skoda UK page states for mine:

"

Cambelt change

Cambelt change - Recommended every 5 years for our current model range or the recommended mileage
The cambelt is one of the hardest-working components in your engine, constantly moving and flexing at high speed and under tension, synchronising the valves and pistons. Any component working this hard will eventually show signs of fatigue; a worn or damaged cambelt could become slack or snap, often causing severe and expensive internal engine damage. The maximum recommended interval for a cambelt change is stated in your vehicle handbook (varies depending on model, year and engine type) and it's important that you don't exceed this maximum interval. Our cambelt change includes stripping the relevant parts of the engine, replacing the cambelt and tensioners to ensure your engine will continue to run effectively."

Which is not what the Vehicle Handbook states LOL.

I think it was originally a 'maintenance free' belt that lasts the life of the engine but UK market decided to change this.

Edited by Plantman
  • Like 1

The Skoda page also states I need a DSG oil change at 40k, despite it being a dry box (DQ200), so I think we can take that Skoda UK page with a pinch of salt.

From chat with Skoda UK:

"We recommend that you change your cambelt every five years.

Thank you, interesting since the service book states that the toothed belt should be checked at 240,000 kms and then every 30,000 kms.

I had this checked by our in-house Master Technician so I am confident that the information that I have provided you with is correct.

The handbooks can be generic so the best recommendation would be from our Master Technician."

The picture below is what I was given from the dealer I purchased the car from at the time, 2018.

Cambelt is showing as this price now. 

Cambelt change
Click for more information about this job
£429.00

Service Items.jpg

Edited by Plantman

Plantman - yours is as clear cut a case as I've ever seen - wish everyone had a dealer like that. 

The supplying dealer has told you every 160k miles or every 5yr ( whichever is sooner ) and in truth that's all that matters to you.  If the belt snapped at 150k miles or 4.9 months and the car was serviced by Skoda ( or you could prove the belt had been checked by someone else who serviced it ) then you have a legit claim against the dealer. If the belt broke at 161k miles or at 5.5 years and you said " but an independent american magazine says..."  or  " the Irish Skoda website says... "  or  " that bloke on Briskoda says... "  then Skoda would rightly tell you to get stuffed.

Yes it will say DSG oil needs changed but if your gearbox is of the maintenance free type that obviously doesn't apply to you.  It's a bit like the owner of a diesel car saying " but the Skoda page says I need the spark plugs changing every four years" :D  

Edited by Guest

11 hours ago, Plantman said:

The Skoda page also states I need a DSG oil change at 40k, despite it being a dry box (DQ200), so I think we can take that Skoda UK page with a pinch of salt.

Is the dq200 not hydraulically actuated? Meaning an oil change could (should?) be carried out. I do know that it's possible as it has been discussed on here in the past.

Thanks for the replies. I checked with Skoda too, unsurprisingly: 

I have liaised with my internal Technical Support Team and I can confirm that the recommended servicing intervals is every 5 years or 140,000 miles, whichever comes first.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Its all over the place..my EA211 petrol timing belt was supposed to be sealed & fitted for life (in a non-dusty country)...as per the 2018 ERWIN schedules which I have.....

VAG changed it to every 5yrs as the belts started to go...

I got the main belt/tension/aux belt done, not the waterpump as its driven of the exhaust (or inlet) camshaft & has its own thin belt...which if it snaps/jambs will not affect the main belt 

On 13/12/2019 at 23:26, MarkyG82 said:

Is the dq200 not hydraulically actuated? Meaning an oil change could (should?) be carried out. I do know that it's possible as it has been discussed on here in the past.

Yes DQ200 is hydraulically actuated but unlike the DQ250 it doesn't need an oil change every 40k, as it has a dry clutch rather then a wet clutch, but saying this it can have the oil changed and changing the oil would be a good thing. The DQ200 is surpossed to be a "filled for life" gearbox but from my experience no gearbox manual or automatic is "filled for life" and all benefit from oil/fluid changes

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In the UK the timing is clear...

Cars registered prior to September 2010 - 4 years.

Cars registered in September 2010 and beyond - 5 years.

This applies to all models and engines.

The only accurate way to determine the distance is to contact Skoda, as it varies by model, engine and production year.

On 13/01/2020 at 20:09, fabdavrav said:

Its all over the place..my EA211 petrol timing belt was supposed to be sealed & fitted for life (in a non-dusty country)...as per the 2018 ERWIN schedules which I have.....

VAG changed it to every 5yrs as the belts started to go...

I got the main belt/tension/aux belt done, not the waterpump as its driven of the exhaust (or inlet) camshaft & has its own thin belt...which if it snaps/jambs will not affect the main belt 

Octavia 1.6tdi @ 91500 miles    Timing belt never been changed. Can I get JUST the belt changed or is it absolutely necessary to purchase the whole kit of water pump and bearings?

Skoda full kit change is around £550 and around £480 without the water pump but they don't offer an online price for just the belt.

'fabdavrav'....was it Skoda or local garage who changed your belt and what was the cost if you don't mind?

8 hours ago, mydadscar said:

Octavia 1.6tdi @ 91500 miles    Timing belt never been changed. Can I get JUST the belt changed or is it absolutely necessary to purchase the whole kit of water pump and bearings?

Skoda full kit change is around £550 and around £480 without the water pump but they don't offer an online price for just the belt.

'fabdavrav'....was it Skoda or local garage who changed your belt and what was the cost if you don't mind?

I have a Mk7 Golf with a 1.4lt petrol.. (basically the same as MK3 Octavia)....local dealer did & charged £451 for MOT, belts, tensioners, bolts etc..I got the main timing belt, & aux belts done...NOT the water pump or its belt...

• Like 1

Apparently there are different versions of the same engine?

Some with water pumps driven off the main belt and others an aux. Apparently if main belt (etc) is changed, due to tension changes, it'll likely to lead to a leak developing if the pump is not changed at the same time.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mydadscar said:

Can I get JUST the belt changed or is it absolutely necessary to purchase the whole kit of water pump and bearings?

I've never understood just changing the cambelt.

If the belt snaps it often isn't just down to a degraded or weakened belt. If the rollers and tensioners seize then they can easily snap a brand new belt.

Just changing the belt is akin to filling the gearbox with sawdust, a botch.

There is a reason Skoda don't sell the belt by itself.

• Like 1