Missing oil cap

Hi all, just got home and started filling up my windscreen wash and notice a few spots of oil on top of the engine, thinking this was odd I was looking around and noticed the oil cap is missing! Must have only just happened because there wasnt much oil at all but my question is are the caps a fit all thing? Don't want to have to leave it on the drive until I get chance to get to my skoda dealer 20 miles away.

I'm also a bit worried as to how this has happened? It's only 18 months old and I'm pretty sure I've never opened it so last time it was opened would be when it was serviced in july.

Any ideas?

Pretty much any watercooled VAG oil cap should fit. Grab a decent torch and have a good look around the engine bay and make sure it hasn't dropped down the side of the engine or landed on the undertray. 

Edited by StevesTruck

So I did just that and had a look with a torch and yeah it was down the side so at least I can use the car.

Must admit I'm a bit worried as to how or why its come off, it's nice and solid now but the cap has literally been off once and that's when it had its first service in june. It cant be from then so it must have somehow worked loose.

If it were me, I'd assume I took it off to do a top up and forgot what day of the week it was before I got around to putting it back, but that's my 8 second memory span.

Maybe the garage put it back on and forgot to turn it and it took a while before it jumped off?

Edited by StevesTruck
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

@Shorty76

Have you never checked the oil level since June?

Yes of course I have but I've never had to top it up so haven't taken the main cap off.

21 minutes ago, StevesTruck said:

If it were me, I'd assume I took it off to do a top up and forgot what day of the week it was before I got around to putting it back, but that's my 8 second memory span.

Maybe the garage put it back on and forgot to turn it and it took a while before it jumped off?

Yes I suppose that must be it. Just seems strange that it's taken that long.

4 hours ago, Roottootemoot said:

But you would have noticed if it was missing when doing the dip stick.

Why? Open bonnet > check oil > replace stick > close lid > walk back into house > put kettle on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@MarkyG82

If half blind then maybe so,

Where do you swing your dip stick about as you withdraw it and give it a wipe, is that not over the top of the engine?

Maybe not, maybe just whip it out give it a shake and whack it back in. 

Never looking at the coolant level either.

DSCN0239.JPG.c7eef09211e7c9d3d31714d7816239dd.JPG.95086807ff243f5e3c0257d8eb3a0871.jpeg

Edited by Roottootemoot
  • Like 1

@Roottootemoot generally I pull the stick out and take a look while holding it over the ground in front of the car. Then give it a wipe a refit. Maybe give the coolant a glance. If I'm not overly familiar with the engine bay due to it being a new (to me) car then it would be quite possible that I would miss a missing filler cap.

I don't, because when the ground is wet it is obvious that a drip or 2 of oil hits the ground.

That is oil being checked at operating temperature.

I check the oil over the engine, wipe any drops that might drip, and usually wipe around the filler cap even if not putting oil in, sometimes there is sand and crap.

It is unusual when checking a TDI that i do not put oil in. 

Anyone not noticing a hole where there should not be on the top of an engine should maybe get their eyes tested.

Edited by Roottootemoot

30 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

I don't, because when the ground is wet it is obvious that a drip or 2 of oil hits the ground.

That is oil being checked at operating temperature.

I check the oil over the engine, wipe any drops that might drip, and usually wipe around the filler cap even if not putting oil in, sometimes there is sand and crap.

It is unusual when checking a TDI that i do not put oil in. 

Anyone not noticing a hole where there should not be on the top of an engine should maybe get their eyes tested.

My eyes are fine thanks! And clearly the cap had only just come off or there would have been oil everywhere, surely everyone knows that? 

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Roottootemoot said:

It was pretty clear it just happened, it was you that wondered how. 

Yes I did and at no point have you even made a suggestion as to how that might have happened, just basically called people stupid and blind. Very helpful  thanks!

• Confused 1

If you have a slightly recessed engine cover, like in George's photo, I could see it rattling around loose in that recess, and blocking any particular amount of oil spray before it got completely dislodged.  I could also see a closed bonnet keeping it located to a degree if it were not fully secure.

Gaz

• Thanks 1

Had it on other cars where the mounts for the engine cover have broken.

This had the plastic engine cover rattling around which can then loosen the oil filler cap.

Thanks AG Falco

5 minutes ago, Llwyngwernog said:

The oil filler cap on my engine secures with a very resounding 'click'

Hard to see how it could become unintentionally undone.

Regards

IMG_1218.JPG

Mine does too. I can only think that it was never put on right after the service and like CallmeGaz said, maybe the snug fit of the engine insulation has kept it in place!

@Roottootemoot I never said anything about dropping oil. Generally the light in front of the car is better for seeing the level. Holding a rag under the stick does quite a good job of catching any residue. You seam to suggesting that people are blind/stupid/ignorant yet won't accept that there are other ways than your perfect way of doing things.

I left mine off once (on my Karoq), discovered the fact later and thought it had been lost.  With a 65 mile journey to make, called Skoda Assist (the AA). The helpful patrolman said it's VERY unusual for it to actually  fall out of the engine onto the road , & duly found it in the bottom of the engine bay. When I queried as to why the upper part of the engine wasn't splattered with oil he said that baffles are built in to prevent that happening.  

There is always a strong oily smell when the cap is off. For me that would be another reminder. 

Having the crank case open to atmosphere might affect the idle speed as well.