Headlight bulb recommendations

Louisking1

Guest BigJase88

Just to add to this i had my vision tested within the year and its bang on, some cars just have crap headlights.

try driving a citroen nemo and get back to me on that. Beyond dangerous with stock bulbs in.

45 minutes ago, BigJase88 said:

Just to add to this i had my vision tested within the year and its bang on, some cars just have crap headlights.

try driving a citroen nemo and get back to me on that. Beyond dangerous with stock bulbs in.

How exactly was your night vision tested?

Guest BigJase88
7 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

How exactly was your night vision tested?

No idea went to opticians and asked for my eyes to be tested, went through a range of tests.

seriously though with it raining and at night you could not see the road ahead of you, now it is easily visible, i drive my car in the same situations (led headlights) and have no issues

On 09/01/2020 at 21:57, TMB said:

^ I had an Estelle 105S with tungsten headlights. Would have been better off with a couple of matches 😁

My old Metro had those round Tungsten lights. 40/45W of candle power!!  I can remember once driving home (just after leaving A19 at Cleveland Tontine), having to stop as I couldn't see, due to poor headlights and being dusk. I did wonder about trying to upgrade to Halogen either by H4 Converter, or bulb with round socket.

Edited by Jim H
  • Like 1

I just looked at the claimed light output on those LED bulbs. No wonder you are/were getting flashed. If they make anything like the stated output, you're about 3 times brighter than HIDs and 4-5 times brighter than normal halogens.

19 minutes ago, vindaloo said:

I just looked at the claimed light output on those LED bulbs. No wonder you are/were getting flashed. If they make anything like the stated output, you're about 3 times brighter than HIDs and 4-5 times brighter than normal halogens.

Aye there crazy bright could use them for the eifel tower lol

19 hours ago, Jim H said:

My old Metro had those round Tungsten lights. 40/45W of candle power!!  I can remember once driving home (just after leaving A19 at Cleveland Tontine), having to stop as I couldn't see, due to poor headlights and being dusk. I did wonder about trying to upgrade to Halogen either by H4 Converter, or bulb with round socket.

Could be worse, I had a CG125 for a while. The most meaningful upgrade I did to the headlight was taking the front light off my mountain bike and putting it on the handlebars :blink:

19 hours ago, Jim H said:

The calibra takes some beating when I comes to poor headlights, I frequently had to drive with the fog lights on (these were also set in the main headlight unit) just to throw some extra light on the road. Even with higher wattage bulbs they were no better. Finally resorted to a hid kit and they were still awful. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caprixpack said:

calibra takes some beating when I comes to poor headlights

H*11 Yeah!! I've seen a Calibra with all three bulb holders melted out on each side because of using 100W bulbs for about 30 minutes!

• 2 weeks later...

Osram nightbreakers 130%

55w . I didn't notice any difference to bulbs fitted from new, which were Philips. Both produced a decent light. 

I found that the headlight aim was slightly too low. If you adjust , make a note of how many half turns etc. This produced the result I was looking for, without dazing oncoming traffic.

The osrams nightbreakers both blew at same time however leaving me with only sidelights and full beam. The bulb glass looked clear and filament looked unblackened. But there was slight scorching elsewhere on both bulbs.

I just buy a cheap set of dipped beam bulbs now and not worry about it and keep an eagle eye out for potholes.

On 22/01/2020 at 22:26, bmbmdmb said:

Osram nightbreakers 130%

The osrams nightbreakers both blew at same time however leaving me with only sidelights and full beam. The bulb glass looked clear and filament looked unblackened. But there was slight scorching elsewhere on both bulbs.

So you found why they are called Nightbreakers. Yep, they break at night!!  :wondering:

• Haha 2

My Night Breakers (it's not spelt 'Nightbreaker') have been going strong for a couple of years now. Make sure you don't touch the glass when fitting them. It causes early failure from the oils on your fingers.

Edited by TMB

My Night Breaker Laser dipped beams (+130%) blew at night, a few days shy of a year since I installed them, a week apart of each other. Full beams (Night Breaker Unlimited 110) are still going strong, but they don't seem to light up as far as when they were new. 

On 25/01/2020 at 15:13, Jim H said:

So you found why they are called Nightbreakers. Yep, they break at night!! 

Yup, ha ha!

Nice one 😃

The bulbs were installed wearing latex gloves Btw 

On 25/01/2020 at 15:33, TMB said:

don't touch the glass when fitting them.

Not worth the extra money imho

25 minutes ago, caprixpack said:

There seems to be an awful lot of unlucky people here regarding the night beakers. I've used them in many cars over the years an not had a problem, even when using the bulbs in several cars. 

Agreed, for the same reason(s).

• Like 1