Average MPGs

Paul52

Not unusually for this forum I'm quite attached to my Yeti. Although a long-term diesel devotee the introduction of DPFs forced me to have a rethink and in May 2013 I bought my 1.2TSI. Having a clear out of my computer I found my old records for my previous three cars, a Peugeot 405, Peugeot 406 and the most recent a Volvo V50. These date back over the last 20 years or so. The annual mileages are similar and I didn't use any of the cars for commuting so a comparison of the average mpgs is reasonable.

Peugeot 405  - 44.7mpg

Peugeot 406 - 45.1 mpg

Volvo V50 - 44.1 mpg

Yeti - 41.3 mpg

These are the averages over the time I had each car. The two Peugeots were around 5 years old when I bought them, the Volvo around 18 months old so all would have been pretty well run in, only the Yeti was purchased new. With my driving style I can't say I noticed any real difference in any of the cars so I think it says much for the development of small petrol engines both for that reason and that the Yeti's petrol engine is returning an mpg not far off that of the diesels; I'm old enough to remember getting mid 30's from a small petrol engine was considered pretty good; for me one of the reasons for moving to diesels was the big difference in mpg. Digging into the figures if I discount the first couple of years of running the Yeti the average mpg goes up to 42.8mpg, which as my driving is predominently a lot of short trips I think is pretty respectable.

All terribly nerdy I know but I'm sure others on the forum will find it interesting. (Probably about as are left from the original members of the UK Small Wheels Club).

You might be interested in another Yeti comparison.

We had a 1.2 TSI DSG for nearly 40000 miles and averaged a true 40.66 mpg over that time.  We replaced it with a TDI 170 DSG, have had that nearly 40000 miles, and have averaged 45.47 mpg, with broadly similar driving conditions including commuting.

PS I never managed to get into the UKSpecialBuild Club, but do use 16" alloys in winter.

Edited by Zib

I’ve had 2 Yeti’s, both 1.2 Tsi DSG's. The first with the original version 1.2 engine bought new in 2012 averaged 42.1 MPG over the 61,000 miles I had it. The second bought new in 2017, so with the later 1.2 engine, has averaged 44.81 over 26,200 miles to date. Both averages calculated using brim-full-to-brim full system.

Yes, terribly nerdy - like you - but interesting all the same.

..currently looking to change my 1.4 4wd for a late 1.2 as I would like an auto. I have averaged 44mpg out of the 1.4 since I got it 2 years ago. I was hoping the 1.2 2wd would also give better economy, so a bit disappointing to read that the 1.2 may not be any better on fuel. I did test drive an Arona, and the computer was showing over 50mpg after the test drive, just that I prefer the practicality of the Yeti.

1 hour ago, Stubod said:

..currently looking to change my 1.4 4wd for a late 1.2 as I would like an auto. I have averaged 44mpg out of the 1.4 since I got it 2 years ago. I was hoping the 1.2 2wd would also give better economy, so a bit disappointing to read that the 1.2 may not be any better on fuel. I did test drive an Arona, and the computer was showing over 50mpg after the test drive, just that I prefer the practicality of the Yeti.

You've done remarkably well getting that kind of mileage out of the 1.4 engine! During the two years that I had mine, I was averaging in the low 30's mpg all the time, a good 10mpg less than you. It could maybe approach 40mpg on a longer drive, keeping to a maximum of around 60mph but most of the time it was a picture of urban to country roads which made it nearer 33 to 34mpg.

..most of my driving is quite rural roads, no queues etc, (and I do drive like a nun!). My figures are tank to tank (ie not computer), and are over about 14k miles.

Before the Yeti I had a 1.4 Tsi Octavia (122 hp), which although 2WD gave a similar mpg to the Yeti, (also similar to previous 2ltr diesel Octavia).

My last Yeti has gone now but the last time I filled it was on the 30th August 2019.

Between January 2017 and December 2019 I did 6,870 miles.

At the last fill-up I had done 6,655 miles and the average m.p.g. during the whole time I had it was 34.52 m.p.g.

The most I ever got was 38.95 m.p.g. and the lowest was 31.57 m.p.g.

I've decided that I'm not going to bother monitoring the new Kamiq given how often I fill up, no point in carting a full tank of petrol to the shop and back all the time.

..there does seem to be a large range of mpg's quoted for the 1.2. I guess having a "smaller" engine it is more susceptible to the type pf driving. eg town / stop start / motorway etc. I have noted a fairly significant change to consumption based on ambient temperature. Probably 10% mpg between summer and winter driving, (ie hotter days seem to give better consumption)....

..before I commit, I would be interested to hear about some "best" mpg's achievable from any other another 1.2 DSG owners? 

For some it is worth carrying around a full tank or near full tank in winter if it is the weather conditions that could have condensation in the tank when not full.

But then winter petrol is less hygroscopic.  Maybe the majority will never give this a thought and think it is an internet myth about condensation in fuel tanks.

2 hours ago, AllanDJ said:

You've done remarkably well getting that kind of mileage out of the 1.4 engine! During the two years that I had mine, I was averaging in the low 30's mpg all the time, a good 10mpg less than you. It could maybe approach 40mpg on a longer drive, keeping to a maximum of around 60mph but most of the time it was a picture of urban to country roads which made it nearer 33 to 34mpg.

Agreed my wife's 1.4 4x4 returns high thirties on her rural commute and she is not lead footed.  

9 hours ago, Stubod said:

..there does seem to be a large range of mpg's quoted for the 1.2. I guess having a "smaller" engine it is more susceptible to the type pf driving. eg town / stop start / motorway etc. I have noted a fairly significant change to consumption based on ambient temperature. Probably 10% mpg between summer and winter driving, (ie hotter days seem to give better consumption)....

I'm not surprised in the variation.  A lot of DSG owners are likely to have chosen autos because they drive in stop-start conditions.  Our best 1.2 DSG tank average was about 46 mpg, but individual trips could average around 50 mpg on the open road.

• Like 1

On 30/12/2019 at 12:33, Stubod said:

..before I commit, I would be interested to hear about some "best" mpg's achievable from any other another 1.2 DSG owners? 

I've been keeping a rolling fill-to-fill mpg record on an Excel type spreadsheet since taking delivery of my brand  new car, 1.2 DSG, in October 2017. 13,931 miles gives average of 40.09. Best is 43.87, worst 32.53. Worst was during a house move phase, lots of one mile runs with with a further half mile going round the block through multiple traffic lights looking for somewhere to park, so not as bad as it sounds. In summertime, as noted in other posts, I get better figures than in winter. I've had good figures after a rare fill of Shell V-Power, also bad figures on V-Power, so I'd say weather and type of running is more important than octane. My average is slowly edging up as the engine runs in, but only by 1.5mpg so far.

I'm very happy with the mpg, good for a tallish brick shaped car with easy access and egress, and good visibility, and the convenience of DSG.

..still a bit disappointing mpg from a 1.2 when I can get more than that out of a 1.4 4WD! I had a test drive in a 1.2 auto the other day and I must admit it drove really well, very surprised by he amount of "go" on offer...although noticed that without a "clutch" it is a little more difficult to manouver / park when going slowly...