Vehicle Driving Mode (Adaptive Chassis)

Hello all

I have a brand new Superb (2020 facelifted version), 190 estate Sportline Plus in Meteor Grey with black Supernova alloys (yes it looks amazing!). I also added the Adaptive Chassis which I had on my previous L&K and loved. On my previous car the Drive Mode would automatically choose the last selected mode when the car was switched on. However, on my new car it defaults back to 'Normal' every time which is a little annoying. I've scoured the manual and the settings but I can't find anything to tell the car to automatically select the previously selected drive mode (as you can, for example, with the automatic distance control).

I suspect there's nothing I can do about this but I thought I'd put it out there just to see if anyone knows better!

It's the same thing with pre-facelift Superb too.

The driving modes (Eco, Comfort, Normal, Sport, Individual) will be retained on startup, but the drive mode (Eco, Normal, Sport) will always default to Normal on startup, regardless of the driving mode chosen.

If u want to restore the drive mode, u have to reselect the desired driving mode again.

Edited by JR RS

The oldest cars worked properly - my 16 plate remembers eco mode between runs, for example. I think they broke it in more recent years - there's a thread in here somewhere about it 

I also got a TV as standard.

Newer isn't always better 😜

My 16 Plate L&K remembers the driving mode as per the KESS key used.  For example, I have it on comfort mode where my wife has it on Normal Mode and the Key enables the car to set the Mode last used on that particular key.

Hope this helps.

As I thought. My 66 plate former Superb used to remember the mode but not the new 69 plate. Ah well, the facelifted version is even better than the former which I didn't think was possible! Things like the 7-speed DSG which is so much smoother, it looks better, the drive is nicer (although that could be because I now have SportLine rather than L&K). Such a good all-round car, it is without peer as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the replies

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SiSuperb said:

As I thought. My 66 plate former Superb used to remember the mode but not the new 69 plate. Ah well, the facelifted version is even better than the former which I didn't think was possible! Things like the 7-speed DSG which is so much smoother, it looks better, the drive is nicer (although that could be because I now have SportLine rather than L&K). Such a good all-round car, it is without peer as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the replies

My PFL 19 plate Sportline Plus is on the normal lowered steel springs and the ride is great with the 235/40R19 tyres and it's as you say a good allrounder mixing sporty handling with supreme motorway refinement (petrol is anyway) and comfort.:)

6 hours ago, SiSuperb said:

Thanks for the replies

Out of interest, what do you think drives better about the Sportline over the L&K? Shouldn’t they drive pretty similarly assuming the same size wheels, drivetrain & DCC? You think that ‘sport chassis’ makes any difference?

Rob

1 hour ago, sula_rob said:

Out of interest, what do you think drives better about the Sportline over the L&K? Shouldn’t they drive pretty similarly assuming the same size wheels, drivetrain & DCC? You think that ‘sport chassis’ makes any difference?

Rob

while DCC is same in both, Sportline models get sports springs.

the DCC component is specific to the shock absorbers.

Hence a Sportline can be either:-

- Shocks + Sports springs
or

- DCC + Sports springs

L&K is DCC + standard springs

4 hours ago, JR RS said:

while DCC is same in both, Sportline models get sports springs.

the DCC component is specific to the shock absorbers.

Hence a Sportline can be either:-

- Shocks + Sports springs
or

- DCC + Sports springs

L&K is DCC + standard springs

Ok, cool. Have you driven / owned both extensively, and did you find a preference for the Sportline in any way other than being firmer / more sporty?  Just wondering as I’m presently debating exactly that as my first Superb: 1.5 Sportline with or without DCC vs L&K, likely with a 190 2.0 TSI engine. So either way, closer to a comfort drive than a sporty / performance one, I suppose. 

I currently drive a 3 Series with adaptive ‘M’ dampers & 19” run flats, so I’m used to firm. But am maybe getting a bit old for that now & want to locate that perfect  ‘Zen’ all round driving nirvana. Just wondering if unless it’s a 272, the firmness of a Sportline doesn’t complement the smaller engines, but also whether I’d just find an L&K too  wallowy and / or ‘mature’. 🙂 I’ll obviously be test driving both as extensively as I can.

The fly in the ointment is that a 1.5 Sportline in Dragon Green with options works out more expensive (and likely over £40k) than a 2.0 L&K. Otherwise it’d be Sportline all day long for looks (mainly that colour) & the interior, but just curious to read real world opinions on both. 🙂

Cheers

Rob

4 hours ago, sula_rob said:

Ok, cool. Have you driven / owned both extensively, and did you find a preference for the Sportline in any way other than being firmer / more sporty?  Just wondering as I’m presently debating exactly that as my first Superb: 1.5 Sportline with or without DCC vs L&K, likely with a 190 2.0 TSI engine. So either way, closer to a comfort drive than a sporty / performance one, I suppose. 

I currently drive a 3 Series with adaptive ‘M’ dampers & 19” run flats, so I’m used to firm. But am maybe getting a bit old for that now & want to locate that perfect  ‘Zen’ all round driving nirvana. Just wondering if unless it’s a 272, the firmness of a Sportline doesn’t complement the smaller engines, but also whether I’d just find an L&K too  wallowy and / or ‘mature’. 🙂 I’ll obviously be test driving both as extensively as I can.

The fly in the ointment is that a 1.5 Sportline in Dragon Green with options works out more expensive (and likely over £40k) than a 2.0 L&K. Otherwise it’d be Sportline all day long for looks (mainly that colour) & the interior, but just curious to read real world opinions on both. 🙂

Cheers

Rob

When I picked up my used 272 Sportline Plus toys weren't the priority hence mine is fairly basic but only cost £23,840 (9 months old ex-Skoda UK car with under 5,000 miles). The important bits were the hardware underneath, engine , gearbox and haldex 4WD all from the Golf R with massive legroom and a very large boot. It has been an absolute revelation and eye opener to me and would run rings round a BMW 3 Series even with run-flats and M dampers. It can be a little wallowy/floaty over certain ridges/ripples but most of the time it is quiet, comfortable and surprisingly economical (currently looking at 600 miles on 66 litre tank). Standard car 0-60mph is 5.5 seconds but after a remap early next month it will be in the 4.7 second region which puts it in some serious machinery category. The grip seems to go on forever and you can enter roundabouts at interesting speeds and it just grips and grips which it shouldn't do considering it's 4.9 metres long and weighs 1.6 tonnes. Mine is not equipped with DCC (adaptive dampers) but IMHO it doesn't need them anyway and I've done a lot of track days in the past.:thumbup:

Edited by shyVRS245
MISSING BRACKET

1 hour ago, shyVRS245 said:

When I picked up my used 272 Sportline Plus toys weren't the priority hence mine is fairly basic but only cost £23,840 (9 months old ex-Skoda UK car with under 5,000 miles). The important bits were the hardware underneath, engine , gearbox and haldex 4WD all from the Golf R with massive legroom and a very large boot. It has been an absolute revelation and eye opener to me and would run rings round a BMW 3 Series even with run-flats and M dampers. It can be a little wallowy/floaty over certain ridges/ripples but most of the time it is quiet, comfortable and surprisingly economical (currently looking at 600 miles on 66 litre tank). Standard car 0-60mph is 5.5 seconds but after a remap early next month it will be in the 4.7 second region which puts it in some serious machinery category. The grip seems to go on forever and you can enter roundabouts at interesting speeds and it just grips and grips which it shouldn't do considering it's 4.9 metres long and weighs 1.6 tonnes. Mine is not equipped with DCC (adaptive dampers but IMHO it doesn't need them anyway and I've done a lot of track days in the past.:thumbup:

Sounds good, though sadly as my driving is probably 80% in London, I doubt I’d see economy like that! My current car is a 340i. Prior to that I had an Audi S4 (supercharged V6), prior to that a Mk5 Golf R32 and prior to that a Leon FR. Although I know on occasion I’ll miss it, at this point in my life I’m happy to forego some performance for comfort, economy & practicality. Sadly, I’m too used to (and a sucker for) the toys & luxury to go tooooo basic, but I think the 2.0 190 will be the sweet spot for me engine wise. I’m certainly not bothered about 4 wheel drive, but the Sportline vs L&K vs DCC debate does interest me (and there’s probably no definitive answer unless you can properly A-B compare them somehow). 

Anyway, to return this thread to its original topic, if it’s any consolation neither my S4 nor BMW remember(ed) their driving modes & always default(ed) to Auto / Comfort respectively. 🙂

Rob

4 hours ago, sula_rob said:

I haven't driven a Sportline.

Mine is a non-Sportline 220, and it had DCC and normal springs, which I found a bit wallowy, so I put Eibach ProKit springs in it to firm it up a bit.

Still with DCC shocks.

The ride is still good in Normal mode, and Comfort mode is still comfortable.

Sports mode is a tad firmer than original factory springs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sula_rob said:

Sounds good, though sadly as my driving is probably 80% in London, I doubt I’d see economy like that! My current car is a 340i. Prior to that I had an Audi S4 (supercharged V6), prior to that a Mk5 Golf R32 and prior to that a Leon FR. Although I know on occasion I’ll miss it, at this point in my life I’m happy to forego some performance for comfort, economy & practicality. Sadly, I’m too used to (and a sucker for) the toys & luxury to go tooooo basic, but I think the 2.0 190 will be the sweet spot for me engine wise. I’m certainly not bothered about 4 wheel drive, but the Sportline vs L&K vs DCC debate does interest me (and there’s probably no definitive answer unless you can properly A-B compare them somehow). 

Anyway, to return this thread to its original topic, if it’s any consolation neither my S4 nor BMW remember(ed) their driving modes & always default(ed) to Auto / Comfort respectively. 🙂

Rob

Couple of pictures showing wheel/arch gap on standard Sportline suspension.

14BAAD8C-AA8A-468B-8FB1-A0940AED71F0.jpeg

35CD8BE4-E78A-49E4-89FC-EDBB86333CED.jpeg

any ideas how to find right set?

i'm dreaming about swap standard DCC springs to harder ones

BUT without height drop, even would like +10mm

220ps DCC with standard springs:

6beb239s-960.jpg

On 11/01/2020 at 06:57, shyVRS245 said:

..... used 272 Sportline Plus....

surprisingly economical (currently looking at 600 miles on 66 litre tank). 

Was that on the back of a transporter?

Or were you perpetually in the contraflow speed limit on the M4 at 40 miles per hour?

2 hours ago, Bud said:

Or were you perpetually in the contraflow speed limit on the M4 at 40 miles per hour?

41mpg that's 33% poorer as in 20 mpg down on a 150bhp diesel at legal/steady speeds. I suppose you might shave 6 or 7 seconds off a diesel run.

2 hours ago, Bud said:

227 miles driven with 375 miles left in tank (total 602 mile range). My old car 336bhp Octavia Vrs could only manage 440 miles from its 50 litre tank.:biggrin:

11 minutes ago, NJRJ said:

41mpg that's 33% poorer as in 20 mpg down on a 150bhp diesel at legal/steady speeds. I suppose you might shave 6 or 7 seconds off a diesel run.

I've owned a 148bhp (150PS) 2016 petrol Superb which I could get 800 miles from a tank without any diesel clatter. Both diesel and petrol models with 148bhp feel very very slow after driving a proper Superb.;)

Edited by shyVRS245
missing word

On 11/01/2020 at 04:24, sula_rob said:

Cheers

Rob

Rob, I had L&K 150 diesel hatch for 3 years up til early Dec 2019. Absolutely loved it, just wanted a slightly more refined drive. The L&K can be a bit too wallowy sometimes (for example over speedbumps) although the DCC helped a lot. So I chose the Sportline Plus (it's an estate now too) and I consider the ride to be perfect for me. I can choose sport setting if I need  nice firm ride, but mostly I'm using Normal or Individual (which I've set up pretty much as a combination of comfort and sport). For me, it's just a marginally improved ride which has made quite a difference. 

That said, the L&K is also a seriously good car! They're very close, just the Sportline Plus understandably has a slightly more refined ride in my opinion.