Lane assist.

TJP

Someone pointed out that turning it off could have legal implications.

It is fitted as a safety feature and, I assume, approved by whatever

bodies governs these things relating to car safety.

If no physical Off switch is fitted then it is not intended to be switched off,

as the auto braking was on my Yeti.

I do appreciate that it could be relevent if, for instance, you were in a serious accident.  But the fact is that you can switch it off, so it cannot be regarded as a serious safety feature, or would be on permanently.

Yes, but you have to fight it.  I just want to steer where I want without the car trying to urge me to do it differently.  If it were a self-driving car, I'd be happy to let it take over, but it's not. 

5 hours ago, eddleetham said:

I do appreciate that it could be relevent if, for instance, you were in a serious accident.  But the fact is that you can switch it off, so it cannot be regarded as a serious safety feature, or would be on permanently.

It's a bit like the carbon footprint reducing stop and start system. Car companies take it that seriously, they give you a button to deactivate it. 

7 hours ago, eddleetham said:

If no physical Off switch is fitted then it is not intended to be switched off.

"But the fact is that you can switch it off"

Only if you use and are competent with VCDS

39 minutes ago, gumdrop said:

If no physical Off switch is fitted then it is not intended to be switched off.

"But the fact is that you can switch it off"

Only if you use and are competent with VCDS

Do all cars have buttons to physically turn it on or off? Every car I've been in with stop start function does but I do wonder if any manufacturers don't. 

You can turn it off from the car menu,but you have to do it every time you start the car,vcds doesnt disable the system just makes it remember to stay off after you turned it off,if you can turn it back on from the car menu anytime you want,you dont need vcds anymore.

I'm more worried about the cars warranty,then any legal matters.

Edited by Nahkri

On 06/06/2021 at 09:11, gumdrop said:

Indicate before moving out of lane, this cancels lane assist fot the current maneuver.

This has been really good information for me, just a flick of the indicators.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Northam said:

This has been really good information for me, just a flick of the indicators.

Such a simple thing to do too. 

1 hour ago, Northam said:

Indicate before moving out of lane, this cancels lane assist fot the current maneuver.

That's fine for people who stick rigidly to the lane markings. Others like me prefer to smooth out bends, which saves on tyre wear.  So I'm not going to indicate every time I smooth out a bend.

19 minutes ago, eddleetham said:

That's fine for people who stick rigidly to the lane markings. Others like me prefer to smooth out bends, which saves on tyre wear.  So I'm not going to indicate every time I smooth out a bend.

So you have nothing to complain about then really? 

I do what you do too and in all honesty, it's not that intrusive that you need to indicate but I honestly just don't get what the fuss is either way. 

Let's just take it easy out there. 

Edited by motr1912

But each time you get close to the white line the car tries to nudge you back to the left.  Does that not bother you?  It really annoys me, and an annoyed driver is not a good driver.

Just now, eddleetham said:

But each time you get close to the white line the car tries to nudge you back to the left.  Does that not bother you?  It really annoys me, and an annoyed driver is not a good driver.

It's a very odd feeling sure and I'm still getting used to it but my wife who uses a lot of hire cars for work says it's not too different from a number of car brands these days and she is used to it. 

I'm not annoyed by it no but I do find it odd that when you pass by a parked car and you do go round it and you go over the white line and the car pulls you back, at first I found that quite worrying as the first time it happened I thought it was quite aggressive but now that I'm used to it, I'm prepared for it. 

There are other things that frustrate me more with the car but I've only done 300 miles in mine so will see how I feel in a few months. 

31 minutes ago, eddleetham said:

Totally understand, the trouble is it doesn’t see what you see, it sticks to a strict line.  It’s a safety feature and has a use, just seems a bit over the top at times.  Here in North Devon, it’s almost impossible with cyclists, road work signs, pot holes, people parked adjacent to solid white lines, the list goes on.  So a brief indication settles it for me.

Well, over the last couple of week, I've been watching the Tour de France, and it's quite noticeable just how many French roads outside town don't have a centre line and 2 side lines, which appears to be a prerequisite for "second guess you steer" to "work as advertised" at all. I think it's better to not even fit a "safety feature" than to fit one that works inconsistently.

• Love it! 1

7 hours ago, KenONeill said:

Well, over the last couple of week, I've been watching the Tour de France, and it's quite noticeable just how many French roads outside town don't have a centre line and 2 side lines, which appears to be a prerequisite for "second guess you steer" to "work as advertised" at all. I think it's better to not even fit a "safety feature" than to fit one that works inconsistently.

I think the lane assist is aimed at major roads and motorways which do have lane markings, hence, it doesn't  come into operation until 40kph (38mph).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well we already get the visual warning.  Trouble is the speed limit shown is often wrong.  I frequently get told I'm in a 20mph zone when it's 30mph, or 30mph when it's derestricted. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Nahkri said:

https://www.kufatec.com/en/coding-diagnosis/kufatec-coding-dongle/coding-dongle-activation-last-memory-lane-assist-for-audi-vw-seat-skoda-46265

A quick option to program the lane assist to stay on or off after you turn off the engine.

Mmm.  Too many questions.  Does it do it automatically as soon as it's plugged in, does it have to stay plugged in?  Does it work in UK cars? Does it only work on Lane Assist or can it also do it with other settings?  I would want to learn a lot more about it and from people who have used it.

22 minutes ago, eddleetham said:

Well we already get the visual warning.  Trouble is the speed limit shown is often wrong.  I frequently get told I'm in a 20mph zone when it's 30mph, or 30mph when it's derestricted. 

I get this too.  But I have noticed it’s within a boundary for a school ?  Not signed anywhere as 20, but then 20 is hard to get to as it’s usually narrow with parked cars.