Wheel removal

Hello everyone

Being very new to Skoda Fabias I find I'm struggling with many things that ordinarily wouldn't/shouldn't be a problem - this time it's removing  a wheel. 

My nearside front tyre is looking close to the legal limit, so I wanted to change it with what appears to be a brand new spare. However, I can't get the wheel off! There may be different types of wheel trim, etc, so I'll describe mine in detail. The wheel trim appears to be held on by the five wheel nuts which have plastic covers. I've got two of these off with the little metal hook in the tool kit, but I can't remove the others. I don't want to employ 'strong-arm' tactics on them in case I'm doing things wrong and I might cause some damage. In the Haynes Manual there seems to be an oval plastic sort of tool which it says is for removing the wheel trim - problem is there isn't one of these in my kit. Any advice anyone?

You should have one of these in your tool kit that’s provided with the car, if not then you can get them from the bay for a couple of the queens pounds.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F193280000014

its always worth jotting down your locking wheel not code too just incase that gets misplaced.

0685E3CB-2AEF-4171-8B3B-88087CDC165D.png

• Like 2

Ah, so I do need one of those - there doesn't appear to be one in my toolkit. I'll order one - there isn't a great urgency for what I want to do so Ebay will be fine.

Many thanks for your very helpful reply.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Thanks, I've ordered a couple of those - might take a while to get here though!

2 minutes ago, Pirate76 said:

In a perfect world as its the front I'd put a pair of new tyres on, not good to mix and match, unless it's same as other side and nearly same tread depth

Well that was my original plan until I saw the new spare. However, what you say makes a good deal of sense, so I may revert to that.

1 hour ago, Pirate76 said:

Tool I had was wrong one for plastic caps I had, few were missing so got a complete new set with correct puller for £15

Cheaper again, close to 1/10 of the price!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20x17mm-Grey-Wheel-Lug-Nut-Bolt-Cover-Cap-For-VW-Golf-MK4-Audi-Skoda-Passat-Seat/152875846669?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

1 hour ago, Salopshire said:

Thanks, I've ordered a couple of those - might take a while to get here though!

To make it a challenge I too have ordered a pair for delivery to my French address, over there small stuff from China either arrives very fast of gets held up for over a month at the Orly processing centre, let us know when yours arrive and I will do the same.

Larger stuff from China parcel size delivered by couriers is often already stocked in a UK or EU warehouse and arrives very fast, these wont as the letter/small jiffy bag postage rate for allegedly "developing countries" like China is peanuts, stuff gets to me for less than the price of a postage stamp in France.

@Salopshire

Have you checked that spare wheel and tyre closely.

Is the Spare not a 15" rim and a 195/55 R 15 tyre.  Or has someone got a matching spare to the 4 wheels and tyres on the car?

What are the brand and size of the tyres on the 4 corners?

PS

Do you have a locking wheel nut (Bolt / stud) on the car so 4 plastic covers the same size and one bigger on each wheel, & if there is a locking / security one on each wheel do you have the socket for getting them off?

PPS

I can not imagine what you mean by a wheel trim on your wheels other then if it was steel wheels on the car.

Is it not a center Skoda Emblem and 5 nut covers just with alloy wheels. 

?

Is the spare an alloy wheel?

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@Salopshire

Have you checked that spare wheel and tyre closely.

Is the Spare not a 15" rim and a 195/55 R 15 tyre.  Or has someone got a matching spare to the 4 wheels and tyres on the car?

What are the brand and size of the tyres on the 4 corners?

PS

Do you have a locking wheel nut (Bolt / stud) on the car so 4 plastic covers the same size and one bigger on each wheel, & if there is a locking / security one on each wheel do you have the socket for getting them off?

PPS

I can not imagine what you mean by a wheel trim on your wheels other then if it was steel wheels on the car.

Is it not a center Skoda Emblem and 5 nut covers just with alloy wheels. 

?

Is the spare an alloy wheel?

I'm more confused than ever now! It does have a centre Skoda emblem and 5 nut covers - so, yes, I think alloy wheels and no wheel trim, which I thought it had. The spare is the same size - 195/55 R15 - but a steel wheel.  The four tyres are Firestones, but the spare isn't (can't remember what it is) - I think it's the original spare and never been used, everything looks as if it's brand new.

I shall now just get two new tyres for the front and leave the spare where it is.

Thank you for your help.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

To make it a challenge I too have ordered a pair for delivery to my French address, over there small stuff from China either arrives very fast of gets held up for over a month at the Orly processing centre, let us know when yours arrive and I will do the same.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Will do.

15 minutes ago, Salopshire said:

I'm more confused than ever now! It does have a centre Skoda emblem and 5 nut covers - so, yes, I think alloy wheels and no wheel trim, which I thought it had. The spare is the same size - 195/55 R15 - but a steel wheel.  The four tyres are Firestones, but the spare isn't (can't remember what it is) - I think it's the original spare and never been used, everything looks as if it's brand new.

I shall now just get two new tyres for the front and leave the spare where it is.

Thank you for your help.

If the spare has never been used, how old is it 

There will be 4 digit date code near the rim (2 digits week 01-52 and 2 for year)

If the spare is >6 years old check it for cracking, if >10 years old then might not be any good

If buying 2 tyres, don't be afraid to ask tyre centre to replace worse 2 and move another wheel if one of the backs is poor, or put one of the ones coming off on spare if lot newer

Not so easy if just changing 2 tyres, but seriously consider all season tyres (instead of the summer tyres).   There is a lot of advice in Tyres thread in Technical section of forum

Edited by SurreyJohn
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Salopshire said:

I think alloy wheels and no wheel trim, which I thought it had. The spare is the same size - 195/55 R15 - but a steel wheel.

The alloys will probably be aluminium coloured, or silk varnished; A VAG spare will be painted black.

Your swap idea still basically works, but you may want to get the worn tyre you're keeping swapped onto the spare wheel, and the spare tyre onto one road wheel (doesn't work if the road wheels have directional tyres on them).

According to the French work to rule that might just possibly be the case for me but otherwise I expect them in 1-3 weeks, it will be interesting to see if its any quicker to the UK, I would expect the delivery times there to be consistent without the variation that we suffer from the goons at Roissy.

Is it really 6 weeks for a letter package to the UK? All of mine have been sent airmail.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, J.R. said:

According to the French work to rule that might just possibly be the case for me but otherwise I expect them in 1-3 weeks, it will be interesting to see if its any quicker to the UK, I would expect the delivery times there to be consistent without the variation that we suffer from the goons at Roissy.

Is it really 6 weeks for a letter package to the UK? All of mine have been sent airmail.

It normally does take that sort of time from China, but sometimes it's a bit quicker than that.

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/01/2020 at 14:37, J.R. said:

Larger stuff from China parcel size delivered by couriers is often already stocked in a UK or EU warehouse and arrives very fast, these wont as the letter/small jiffy bag postage rate for allegedly "developing countries" like China is peanuts, stuff gets to me for less than the price of a postage stamp in France.

Has yours arrived yet? Mine hasn't.

Yes a few days ago but I could not remember what thread to update 😞

They are longer and look more substantial than the OE VAG one.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Yes a few days ago but I could not remember what thread to update 😞

They are longer and look more substantial than the OE VAG one.

OK, thanks. I hope mine arrives soon, I need to change that wheel.