2020 vRS 245 - Oil?

Morning all,

I have tried forum searching on this topic but was struggling to reach a conclusion!

I've just taken delivery of my 245 vRS DSG (fantastic by the way); it's going to be covering nearly 1000 miles this weekend so I want to get some oil for top-ups (hopefully not needed, but you never know). The owner's manual really isn't very helpful on this at all - it says to speak to your local dealer (who won't answer the phone!).

Now I can't be certain, but I think it's on variable servicing - it's showing next service in nearly 20k miles or 2 years or something, so that suggests that to me. I've seen reference to VW 508 00 spec 0w20 oil - is this correct? If so, is the below going to be OK? Frustratingly out of stock at the local Halfords and I presume the dealers will ask even more for it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Castrol-15A54C-Edge-Professional-0w-20/dp/B071D8TLV4/ref=sr_1_1?keywords="VW+508"&qid=1580121479&s=automotive&sr=1-1

Cheers

Rob

The oil it left the factory with is VW508 /509  0w 20 FS IV

You should top up with that, then at the service the Dealership should use that and might.   Some might use VW 504 / 507 5w 30 FS III at a service.

Up to you what you want.  VW508 /509 is the recommended by the Manufacturers.

On Fixed Services VW502 5w 40 FS could be used.  Or VW 508 or VW504

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot
  • Thanks 1

You can often get 0w20 Castrol in 1 litre or half litre bottles at BP petrol stations, which should be sufficient for any small top ups

• Thanks 1

Simply because Skoda / VW never make it simple. 

If they did the Service Desk staff at Main Dealerships might be able to understand it and that would be terrible.

This is the Variable servicing Oil Chart.  Not that recent...

There should be a Fixed Service one as well. but dealerships use the same oil for Fixed or Variable / Flexible Servicing.

See the bit about Emissions.

The reason they went VW508 / 509 was for WLTP / RDE / RDE2.

If i had a TSI even with a GPF as a keeper i would be using VW502 5w 40 FS.  & using Super Unleaded.  More smiles per miles and a well lubricated engine.

Screenshot_20180414-061447.png.ad6ebc941f71f4e7a77cecf5e55307c4.png

7 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

It's thinner than thin for a reason, It gets every where it needs to get in the engine

I agree it does but I always think what actual protection does it offer moving parts. I think of all my modified cars and none used anything less than 0 40w fully synth purley because it offers better protection and is better at dissipating heat around the engine. Yes 20w will have less friction internally Id still prefer a thicker oil.

Edited by Ecomatt
Spelling
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

It's thinner than thin for a reason, It gets every where it needs to get in the engine

Good when the engine is cold but does it still do the job with a hot engine driven hard?

I guess this thin oil is used to get better fuel consumption and lower emissions stats...are we expecting VAG to confirm it prolongs engine life?

The handbook states that 5/30 oil can be used for top ups.

My car came with the oil level at the bottom of the dipstick so a half litre of 5/30 Longlife III was added.

I am happy that no oil has been used in 4K miles.

• Like 1

How would anyone of us know what oil is good for the engine better then the factory itself? For sure it is not enough to look only into viscosity, as each oil has many other important other characteristics. There is a reason behind newer oils are thinner, and newer engines are expecting such oils. 

Castrol’s range of 0W-20 oils includes Castrol EDGE, an advanced full synthetic 0W-20. It’s our strongest oil and formulated to withstand the extreme pressure and temperatures. It’s the best option for those who want to push their car to its limits

One important notice, in the case of emergency, you may use 5w-30 Titanium to top up 0w-20 Titanium, and vice versa. They will mix up perfectly, giving you final viscosity as an average ratio. Personally I would prefer to top up with the same oil, but mixture is better then let the engine be dry.

The premature  Death of many 1.4 TSI 132kw Twinchargers is in the main to do with 5w 30 FS III (long life sh!te Oil) and VW Group not prepared to own up to that, 

then recommended Super Unleaded which is fine, but with Long Life Oil the Borewash is worse.  You do not want the detergents....

There is the Crap Inlet Manifold, OEM Oil Filter, and Engine Internals, consumables like plugs and ignition coils and ballsed up Engine Management, but amazingly

you can use good plugs that are not NGK and oil that is not long life, 5w 40 FS, & remap and use Super Unleaded and even the early engines last.

Vorsprung Durch Technik,  learn that VW never admit mistakes.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/421365-links-to-lucifers-ultimes-guide-to-14-tsi-twincharger-engines

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/358101-vrs-mk-ii-14-twincharger-oil-consumption-issues

• Like 1

Re thinner oils.

Japanese Manufacturers did that back from Euro 4 to Euro 5 engines.

When Euro 5 introduced were not getting the same economy as the Euro 4 had in the same cars they changed from 5w 30 to 0w 30. 

No harm done.  Just more expensive oil back in 2010.

There is Oil Developments, new oils for Hybrids and Oils Fluids to use with EV's, not in the engines but systems.

VW had trouble getting Euro 6 engines to Euro d temp and had an idea for the cunning stunt to get WLTP / RDE results and WLTP approvals, use 0w 20 FS IV.

It was a smart idea from their previous cheating with TDI's of running diesel in the engine oil. 

That was VW, Audi & SEAT's.

I posted this a few days ago in a different Oil thread 

*. My  19 plate 245 Vrs has just had its 1st service and the dealer has used  508.00 0w-20 oil which is the correct spec for this car. The service manager seems to be on the ball and explained the importance of using the correct oil spec.  If for some reason the engine goes pop and you are trying to claim on the warranty they might carry out an Oil test. With the correct equipment they can tell the spec of oil used and if it's found to be incorrect this will void the warranty

• Like 1

That is the Correct oil,

but is VW504 the incorrect oil and if anyone with a 2019 vRS 245 that had a Main Dealer Service where they used oil to VW 504 / 507 should they contact the dealership and say you have invalidated my Manufacturers Warranty?

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/469617-rs245-engine-oil-specification

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/476771-vrs-245-oil-19-plate

If on a lease then the oil used being the recommended one or not might not be an issue.

If you own the car and keep it beyond 3 years and have no extended warranty lets hope if the engines have issues like previous TSI's have experienced VW will be generous with their 'Gesture Payments'  because you stuck with their recommendation oil 0w 20 FS IV.

Screenshot 2020-01-27 at 19.27.22.png

16 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

I posted this a few days ago in a different Oil thread 

*. My  19 plate 245 Vrs has just had its 1st service and the dealer has used  508.00 0w-20 oil which is the correct spec for this car. The service manager seems to be on the ball and explained the importance of using the correct oil spec.  If for some reason the engine goes pop and you are trying to claim on the warranty they might carry out an Oil test. With the correct equipment they can tell the spec of oil used and if it's found to be incorrect this will void the warranty

What's your point when it's already been stated and officially shown on this thread that you can optionally use 504 spec oil instead. Only difference it will make according to VW is higher emissions. 

As per the above, you can use 502, 504 or 508 in your vRS 245. I just changed my oil from the factory water like 508 to 504 spec.

After researching this further I may even swap it in a few thousand miles to 502 spec for even greater engine protection. 502 will offer better protection and lubrication long term especially if we get a warm summer.

I plan on changing my oil every 4-5000 miles. The oil was filthy black even after 5400 miles from new with the 0w-20. I dread to think what it would look like after 20k if I stick to the variable servicing.

VW definitely don’t care as much about the motor in my car as I do. Their interest is to sell you a new car.

9 hours ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

Simply because Skoda / VW never make it simple. 

If they did the Service Desk staff at Main Dealerships might be able to understand it and that would be terrible.

This is the Variable servicing Oil Chart.  Not that recent...

There should be a Fixed Service one as well. but dealerships use the same oil for Fixed or Variable / Flexible Servicing.

See the bit about Emissions.

The reason they went VW508 / 509 was for WLTP / RDE / RDE2.

If i had a TSI even with a GPF as a keeper i would be using VW502 5w 40 FS.  & using Super Unleaded.  More smiles per miles and a well lubricated engine.

Screenshot_20180414-061447.png.ad6ebc941f71f4e7a77cecf5e55307c4.png

49 minutes ago, hatchy said:

What's your point when it's already been stated and officially shown on this thread that you can optionally use 504 spec oil instead. Only difference it will make according to VW is higher emissions. 

My point is that Quoting the Oil spec from the handbook, 508.00 oil is the correct spec oil for the 245 Vrs.

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

It is.  It is the recommended spec to achieve lower emissions as if they were being driven under WLTP test regimes.

When VW Group give 7 year manufacturers warranties as standard then people might trust their recommendations without questioning them.

Once the Warranty expires they wash their hands of you, sometimes before then.

As it is there are plenty Dealerships not yet servicing and using VW508 /509 on TSI's with GPF's or TDI's from Euro 6d temp on.

Ask your Service Manager next time if VW 504 is the incorrect oil for Variable Servicing and can he / she show you where that is written.

Also ask of VW 502 is incorrect for Fixed Servicing and if it will invalidate the Manufacturers Warranty.

• Like 1

I will turn that on.

As to the Oil, its a choice that owners must make. 

have VW Group got it right this time or if they got it wrong will they just dismiss owners as they did with bad 1.2, 1.4, 1.8 & 2.0 Euro 6 TSI's.