White/Xenon lights for Skoda Fabia J5

Guest Dimik23

Guest Dimik23

Hello, 

I recently purchased a Skoda Fabia II 1.4 TDI. The car is great but there is a minor drawback which is the yellow headlights. Could you recommend some brands for Xenon/white lights? I am a newbie when it comes to car and its parts. 

I have been searching online. I found Osram H4 night breaker laser +150% brightness. Also, those lights are halogen. Does it mean that the color would be white or yellow? If I am not mistaken, hallogen are yellow and Xenon would be white.

Thank you!

13 hours ago, Dimik23 said:

If I am not mistaken, hallogen are yellow and Xenon would be white.

Unless you're a fashion victim who's more concerned about light temperature than range you are very mistaken!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dimik23 said:

@KenONeill I would appreciate if you gave me a hint of what the best white lights would be. Thank you

There snot much off the shelf bulbs what would make a huge difference im afraid, The Osram's are good however they wont come near anywhere near a HID Kit albeit not MOT friendly.

Edited by Mickmartin
  • Like 1

Filament bulbs tend to be low on the colour temperature scale, even the high output ones though those are a little bit whiter than standard halogen filled bulbs. The bluish-white looking filament bulbs have a blue filter on the bulb which makes the output whiter; the downside is that the usable light output is lower than it would be on a standard bulb.

Gas-discharge bulbs can be manufactured to pretty much any colour temperature, the most common on original equipment being 4300 K which is similar to sunlight (for comparison a standard halogen bulb is around 2500 K). Gas discharge conversion kits are available, but putting them into a lamp designed to be used with halogen filament bulbs is a bad idea as the light output characteristics are very different between the two bulb technologies and lenses and reflectors designed to work with one tend to be terrible with the other.

If you really want white lights, you'll need to get lamp housings designed for gas-discharge bulbs, along with headlamp washers and suspension ride height sensors that will be required to make the setup road-legal.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dimik23 said:

Hello, 

I recently purchased a Skoda Fabia II 1.4 TDI. The car is great but there is a minor drawback which is the yellow headlights. Could you recommend some brands for Xenon/white lights? I am a newbie when it comes to car and its parts. 

I have been searching online. I found Osram H4 night breaker laser +150% brightness. Also, those lights are halogen. Does it mean that the color would be white or yellow? If I am not mistaken, hallogen are yellow and Xenon would be white.

Thank you!

I use the Osram Nightbreakers in my 1.9tdi estate and find them a big improvement on the original bulbs. The headlights are still a crap design in my opinion with just the one bulb and that ridiculous shutter system.

• Like 2

If you want white, go for LED's. They do look nice visually but can be very hit-and-miss with regards to longevity or the throw of the light. (How far the light gets thrown along the road). I had some the threw as good as standard bulbs but were a shade noisey (The little fans that sound quiet until installed, then they vibrate through the cars lights, kinda like they are a loudspeaker). They can only be heard when the engine is not running, though. Then one blew! Actually, they often just blow one of the cobs but they then omit just a tiny amount of light. I had a second set, less noise but less light throw, too. I think this was due to having the same overall power output but with four cobs, where the others had two. I would have thought four and two, with the same overall output, would produce the same light but the throw was far less, despite when looking AT the light, the brightness/whiteness, looking similar.

I have now had one of them blow and quite soon after fitting it, where the older ones lasted a couple of years, so I am back to one of each.

To this, I am now thinking of buying a set of Night-eyes as they have a 3 year warranty so if a chip fails, I will then send it back!

So, my fist set ok, lasted ok but not great, second set less light, short life, planning a better set. I also have LED's in my front fogs, rear tail lights and front sidelights, along with the interior lights. I stuck with standard filament bulbs for brake lights and have silvered bulbs in both front and rear signal lamps. None of these have ever been mentioned or been problematic during the MOT.

I have found LED bulbs are quite short lived but are often cheap enough not to worry. I would be VERY p155ed off to pay £60-odd quid on a set and they too, were poor output and short lived! Living in the big city, the output a decent set of bulbs give ob these cars is generally ok but if I spent most of my days (Or nights) Living in a rural area, I would almost certainly want to stick in some slightly illegal off road rally type bulbs-not to say anyone should, of course!

15 hours ago, AMD87 said:

Upgrade you need 

81AF9986-B41C-4674-B6E6-5559E7CB9A5A.jpeg

So much weight on the front shocks, you'l be looking at the floor 2 metres in front of you! 😁

Not helpful Ken... Really? The earlier post was meant to be a tongue in cheek response to the post, which was clearly appreciated by a few others for its humourous dig at Skoda's poor light application. My reply, clearly a fun post, (Hence the emoji), was laughing at the extreme lighting added to a rally car, which would overwhelm the front end of a normal version...

12 minutes ago, mrgf said:

Not helpful Ken... Really? The earlier post was meant to be a tongue in cheek response to the post, which was clearly appreciated by a few others for its humourous dig at Skoda's poor light application. My reply, clearly a fun post, (Hence the emoji), was laughing at the extreme lighting added to a rally car, which would overwhelm the front end of a normal version...

The lights aren’t that heavy plus the rally bonnet is lighter anyway....

What did the picture add to start with? if it was a comic reply, great but if serious, then you should be having a dig at that! Clearly, to anyone reading, BOTH the post and my quote were light hearted. Perhaps you have had a humour bypass. This forum caters for help need AND a little bit of humour so lets now all shake hands and be nice!

• Like 2

On 28/01/2020 at 15:19, dancingbear84 said:

I will be picking up a set of Philips extreme bulbs tomorrow, I’ll let you know what the difference is like 

Thats what I use, found them a good improvement, but more so was getting the lights checked on a beam setter and setting them as high as is legal for MOT purposes.

6 minutes ago, UrbanPanzer said:

Thats what I use, found them a good improvement, but more so was getting the lights checked on a beam setter and setting them as high as is legal for MOT purposes.

The guys at ECP had sold my Philips bulbs to another customer despite me reserving them, they gave me osram night breakers lasers instead.

i have  attached a before and after of the bulbs. Taken at almost the same place at almost the same time, if I get a minute I’ll take a comparison of the roomster oem bulbs against the fabia osram night breakers

1891EBBF-5548-43EC-A988-A35181DAA8A5.jpeg

09143688-1FE1-46AB-A3BD-CEC6717F467E.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...