So today all the oil has left the engine and covered the car. Its a VRS230, 33K miles and 1 month out of warranty.

My question is there a known problem that causes this? 

AC21A667-DB37-446F-B96E-F194181DD776.jpeg

Edited by ACB52
Spelling error

Filler cap is tight, dip stick is clipped in. 

Didn’t look like the filter was leaking.

It looked like the auxiliary belt was being leaked onto and then slinging it everywhere.

The thing is I couldn’t see an obvious place it was coming from so was wondering if there is something known to leak? 

Edited by ACB52
More detail

Bit of a long shot but tried using engine degreaser at all? I was thinking round a bout where there the suspect leak is. Clean it up  - might give a bit more of a clue of the leak is :) 

That doesn't look like all the engine oil covering the car. Very little visible mess. I've had worse leaving a filler cap off.

The breakdown sounds nasty though. If you've got a full dealer history and only one month out of warranty and the mileage is that low, then you will get help. Be polite and positive.

So the dealership have managed to get a look at it today, only 3days. It’s logged crank pressure to high and the crank seal has blown out. They looked at the turbo and found metal shavings up there. What a great start to the year. 

• Sad 3

Does anyone know if you look at the fault codes via VCDS do they contain a date stamp? 

Is crankcase pressure a code that is kept in the memory? 

1 minute ago, Wino said:

I'm really not sure which sensor - if any - would monitor crankcase pressure.

Never heard of an engine that does directly measure it, but maybe I'm behind the times.

I can only comment what the dealership have said. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was actually the oil pressure sensor sending out a code. 

I don’t have much confidence in their knowledge 

From what you have said a leaking crankshaft oil seal is likely given the distribution of the oil and the small particle sizes.

It will be a manufacturing or assembly fault because I dont believe that increased oil pressure or crankcase pressure would push out oil from there, the latter could but the emissions system keeps it at a -ve pressure, were it blocked I would expect fault codes from the MAP sensor, EGR etc.

Unless it's nadgered a new engine would never have enough blowby to overcome the front crank oil seal even if the breathers were blocked, its usually the rear that weeps in any case.

Excess oil pressure is possible from a stuck PRV and it will usually push out the O rings sealing the oil filter, I have drenched my block paved drive a couple of times and also the start line at Lydden Hill through that on Fords.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So the engine got removed and stripped over Wednesday and Thursday and piston rings have failed on 1 & 2 and are showing that they have just started to fail on 3 & 4.

I am told there is a technical bulletin regarding compression from 2017 for the 2.0TSI,  so maybe its a known issue. Car was built 28/11/16 and sold 23/12/16 so could be in the effected batch as the bulletin would come out after they know about an issue and already built the cars. 

As for the dealership, I had to ring to get an update as even though we agreed they would call me on Thursday they had not by 11am on Friday (today). Not only is it slow progress the service is not great.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, cheezemonkhai said:

Keep a record of everything as you may need it.

Yeah I’m doing that and keeping this updated helps.

Turns out the oil was actually coming from the Timing chain top cover but the lowest horizontal section of it, so basically behind the engine mount. 

Just remember the goods need to be fit for purpose, which if I recall extends to 6 years under the law.

Don't let them fob you off with your warranty is gone, as it’s highly unlikely that through no fault it just happened on its own in a month after warranty.

FWIW, did you always Skoda service?

1 minute ago, cheezemonkhai said:

FWIW, did you always Skoda service?

Yeah it was Skoda dealer serviced. It had first service at Skoda a month before I brought it and then I had the second done at Skoda.
It was due again in ~4K mikes. 
It had the MOT and warranty work done at Skoda 5 days before the warranty ended. 

Yes I brought it from the same dealer who sold it originally and did the first service. 
The sales team was rubbish so second service was at another Skoda dealer but they take much longer to get to and overcharge.

The dealer I brought from asked if they could be given a second chance and that the sales guy had ‘gone’ as I was not the only customer he was rubbish too. So they did the warranty ok, but clearly missed something on the vehicle health check. 

Other than the 1 month after warranty Skoda have no reason to reject. 

Got an update from the dealership today, with a total repair cost of £7,099.16

Will find out on Friday if Skoda are going to contribute. 
Does anyone have any experience of getting Skoda to give the contribution in cash so I could get it repaired at an independent? 

• Sad 1