Cold running

Hi there

I've just bought a 2015 Superb 2.0 PD170. The water temperature seems to stay rather cool - it takes 20+ minutes to shift off the bottom of the gauge, and then struggles to reach 60-70 degrees. If I get on the motorway it'll stay around 50 degrees. If I sit in traffic for a long time it will hit 80-90 degrees, but then when I start moving again it will drop to 60 degrees or lower once more.

So far, I've had the thermostat, the coolant temperature sensor and the secondary water pump replaced. The main water pump was done a few months ago. These changes have improved matters but not cured the overall behaviour.

Any suggestions for what to try?

If it’s a DSG the DSG stat is well known to cause temperature gauge issues. Do a search. 

Happened to me on a 2011. Very cheap to obtain from Germany Autodoc the Mahle version. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the really quick replies!

Yes, it's a DSG 'box, so based on your responses that's definitely the next thing to try. I'll get that swapped and update you with the results.

1 hour ago, teacake said:

that's definitely the next thing to try.

@teacake
it should of been the first and cheapest part replaced 

Even dealerships replace the main thermostat first which does not cure the problem.
Know of many that have been down this route and get stung🙄

Edited by DEL80Y
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, teacake said:

I've just bought a 2015 Superb 2.0 PD170

I'd be sure you have a common rail CR 170 in that 2015 (congrats on the car - the estate version of the superb 2 is excellent. I'm sure you'll love it when you have this problem sorted).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, TheRobinK said:

I'd be sure you have a common rail CR 170 in that 2015 (congrats on the car - the estate version of the superb 2 is excellent. I'm sure you'll love it when you have this problem sorted).

I expect you're right. I'm not yet fully up to speed with the model nomenclature with VAG diesels.

On 02/02/2020 at 18:44, teacake said:

I've thrown nearly £800 and two weeks at this so far...

This is the thing that really gets me angry for a £20 part

Glasgow Skoda are still doing it to customers the now.

You know because "they have never came across this problem before"  AGAIN 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DEL80Y said:

This is the thing that really gets me angry for a £20 part

Glasgow Skoda are still doing it to customers the now.

You know because "they have never came across this problem before"  AGAIN 

Yup. The indy I take my cars to, who I completely trust, told me they'd called Skoda and said to them "Are there two thermostats?" and got the reply "No, just the one."

• Like 1

Finally got the car back tonight. All those people who identified the DSG thermostat as the culprit, give yourselves a pat on the back, because that's exactly what it was.

Thanks very much indeed for your advice, I just wish I'd asked for it before I had all the other parts replaced...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tuningmania said:

To " @teacake " - It is good to hear that the Problem is successfully fixed. It is good first to ask in this Forum for any Problems hereafter too ;)

Lesson (expensively) learned on that score.

Hi Luchese

I had a garage do it, because I'm a bit useless when it comes to the mechanical bits. I can't give an exact cost as it was lumped in along with some other jobs, but I'd guess it was about £80, parts and labour.

Thank you Teacake I am going to discuss with the garage this week. Do you know if this was showing as a fault when plugged in to the computer. Question is will either the DSG or the other thermostat be picked up as a fault?

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that, Lucchese. I'm guessing not, as if it had they'd have been led to it straight away rather than asking Skoda for advice (erroneous advice as it turned out).

Edited by teacake

Wow that's a lot, for a part that costs about 25 quid and maybe an hour to change it. Sorry to hear that man, I was lucky as I am under warranty still (only had the car just over a week), which is why I had them do it. Other than that I would've done it myself.