Fuel filler Anti Syphon device - for testing STC Fuel Catalyst pellets

GeorgeB

Has the traffic density on the South Coast altered during shutdown?

What effect has that had on fuel consumption ?

Do you have to return the 'product' when reclaiming the cost ?

• Like 2

Unfortunately comparing the first 2,000 miles to the next 2,000 miles is not a conclusive comparison.

Unless the second 2,000 miles were driven at exactly the same time i.e. in the same weather conditions and the same traffic conditions, then a 4mpg variance is highly likely to be unrelated to the fuel additive.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Unfortunately comparing the first 2,000 miles to the next 2,000 miles is not a conclusive comparison.

Unless the second 2,000 miles were driven at exactly the same time i.e. in the same weather conditions and the same traffic conditions, then a 4mpg variance is highly likely to be unrelated to the fuel additive.

Unfortunately I was not being attentive in my physics class when they were teaching quantum physics, especialy the bit were they were trying to explain the space/time theory.

Therefore, whilst I agree with your first line in your post, its not  conclusive comparison, its just a comparison, and unless you can explain how one person is to drive the same car at the same time, as far as I can tell there's no other way, in this "test" to obtain a comparison. Oh and by the way FTC is not an additive.

1 minute ago, GeorgeB said:

...unless you can explain how one person is to drive the same car at the same time, as far as I can tell there's no other way, in this "test" to obtain a comparison.

They can't, and that's my point.

Therefore your findings are inconclusive and probably inaccurate. In situations such as these I prefer to use proven science which all points to the fact that whatever it is you've dropped into the fuel tank is making absolutely no discernible difference to the fuel economy of your car.

8 hours ago, punyXpress said:

Has the traffic density on the South Coast altered during shutdown?

What effect has that had on fuel consumption ?

Do you have to return the 'product' when reclaiming the cost ?

Don't know the traffic density as for the 1st 9 weeks (from 23rd onwards) I was in "isolation, as I received a telephone call from my GP on the 23rd March stating that I was on the "at high risk" listing & that I'd have to self isolate for 12 weeks. Friday 22nd May, informed by GP that I am no longer deamed to be at high risk, so "normal" lockdown rules now apply, so now I'm free from "house arrest".

Effect on fuel consumption, approx 10 weeks to the gallon!

Return the product, Can't as its in th fuel tank. Only way to retrieve it is to drain the fuel tank, remove either the  in tank fuel pump or the complete fuel tank...so thats a no then!

12 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@GeorgeB

What exactly is the material the Fuel Catalyst Pellets are made of that are having an affect when in DERV, and how long a life do they have?

Don't know, apparently its a trade secret

13 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

They can't, and that's my point.

Therefore your findings are inconclusive and probably inaccurate. In situations such as these I prefer to use proven science which all points to the fact that whatever it is you've dropped into the fuel tank is making absolutely no discernible difference to the fuel economy of your car.

And they couldn't carry out real life fuel consumption comparisons when fuel consuption figures were obtained in a laboratory conditions! so the science thee was usel;ess as well!

4 minutes ago, GeorgeB said:

And they couldn't carry out real life fuel consumption comparisons when fuel consuption figures were obtained in a laboratory conditions! so the science thee was usel;ess as well!

Let's leave the science out of it for a second.

The acid test to whether you've been scammed or not.

Contact the seller, tell them they didn't work, and as promised as part of their scam sales patter ask for your £29.50 back, and see what they say.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Let's leave the science out of it for a second.

The acid test to whether you've been scammed or not.

Contact the seller, tell them they didn't work, and as promised as part of their scam sales patter ask for your £29.50 back, and see what they say.

As I believe that they (the FTC pellets) have worked, to do as you say in your last sentence would be for me to commit an act of fraud!

Just now, GeorgeB said:

As I believe that they (the FTC pellets) have worked, to do as you say in your last sentence would be for me to commit an act of fraud!

I didn't suggest you accept their offer of a full refund, more prove that there is about as much chance of them returning to you your money as there is of the pellets doing anything other than adding weight to your car.

These types of money making deals, preying on the vulnerable, only work if you don't have to return your ill gotten gains.

Great Balls of Steel is maybe what got Dominic Cummings & family up north and back without refuelling his diesel.

Some in the tank and some in his strides.

(Luckily he did not fill up with petrol at any time, as pointed out by idiots in the Government.)

• Haha 1

I'm now getting somewhat bored with this!

Remember, the ancient Greeks & Egyptians thought that the sun revoled around the earth!

And up to the 14th/15th century all thought the world as they knew it was flat!

Moral, all s not what it seems, aslways be prepared to be proved wrong!

Bye for now........DILLIGAF

Edited by GeorgeB
Addition

For me.

The last 4 tankfulls was at an average of 58.1 MPG.

The previous 4 tankfulls was at an average of 52.9 MPG.

Almost a 10% improvement since January.

Did I use anything?

No, it just got warmer.

This happens to my MPG figures every year, for the last 20+ years.

Thanks AG Falco

On 06/02/2020 at 15:01, GeorgeB said:

Incidently, these Catalyst pellets were developed by Russian scientists in the WW2 to improve the fuel quality used by the Spitfires "loaned" to Russia to fight the Germans, as Russian fuel was, at that time, crap! It actually worked, & as a consequence the pellets were used in the T34 tanks & other military vehicles. I fitted them on the recomendation of 3 of my friends who all have vintage cars & they all swear by them.

17 minutes ago, GeorgeB said:

Remember, the ancient Greeks & Egyptians thought that the sun revoled around the earth!

Much like the ancient Greeks, the Russians have also been proven wrong.

If they worked, we'd all be dropping them into our fuel tanks.

Probably better to let this thread die, I'm not sure you're going to convince any of us to wire any of our hard-earned to Nigeria.

1 hour ago, silver1011 said:

If they worked, we'd all be dropping them into our fuel tanks.

if they worked every manufacturer in the world would have them already dropped into the tank at the factory to be able to get their test figures improved by 10%....

much like another long running thread in recent years though much more "convincing" setup, its just not possible to make the kind of miracle improvements any of these things claim. physics and chemistry dont allow it.

1 hour ago, GeorgeB said:

DILLIGAF

yes, you really do LLYGAF

which is understandable as you had a punt on something that most of us have seen varients of over the years and some of us have nmbeen suckered.

i have said previously and will say again - I proudly (at the time) bought in my innoncence the Ebook on how to run your car on water with a simple home made device. did i realise on page 15 i had been done out of about 20quid? yes. Was i annoyed? a bit, but more so learned the lesson to fact check stuff before buying into it and laugh at my own naievity now.

Edited by mac11irl

Wikipedia....if you can't dazle them with brilliance...baffle them with bul****!

Here's a more erudite source then: https://www.psychologytoday.com/ie/basics/motivated-reasoning

Bye for now........DILLIGAF

You'll find that the ancient Greeks had in fact worked out that the Earth orbited the Sun, knowledge that was subsequently lost/buried until Copernicus and Galileo stuck their necks out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aristarchus_of_Samos

Ultimately, science is not on your side here.

Let's assume for a moment that these pellets achieve their stated goal and follow that through based on what is known about the chemistry of hydrocarbon fuels.

• The claim about these pellets is that when put into the fuel tank they cause some sort of catalytic process.
  • The logical progression of this idea is that the balls will cause some sort of catalytic breakdown of the fuel into lower hydrocarbons
    • The balls are going to be submerged in fuel, so any sort of oxidative process is out the window unless the tank is nearly empty
    • If there were any oxidative process happening in the fuel tank there would be a huge risk of explosion
  • The longest chain hydrocarbons in diesel fuel are going to be of the order of C12 to C14; petrol will be around C7 to C9
  • The pellets are causing catalytic breakdown of these hydrocarbons and since the pellets are not specific to a particular fuel we can assume they'll continue working all the way down through the different length carbon chains present
  • Once you get down below C5 (pentane) the hydrocarbons tend to be gaseous at room temperature, and even up to C8-C9 they're quite volatile at those temperatures
    • At the end of this process you end up with ethylene since there's a hydrogen atom missing when you split a C-C bond
  • It's safe to conclude from this, if these pellets work as claimed, that they're constantly turning the liquid fuel in the tank into gases
  • Buildup of gases in the fuel tank is not exactly safe which is why there are vent systems fitted to allow gases escape (the alternative is swelling/rupture of the fuel tank)
  • So all told, if these pellets do as the maker claims you're going to see most of your fuel evaporate out of the tank, with the consequent loss of economy
    • As a bonus, what gets left in the tank is probably not going to work very well in the engine since it's been broken down a fair bit

So ask yourself if any of this is desirable? Furthermore, how likely is it that a company would sell a device that could actually do this, given how dangerous it would be?

This product is junk, designed to reel in the unwary with lots of technobabble and wild claims (and weaselly small print), and part them from their money. They depend on motivated reasoning and choice-supportive bias to keep customers from coming back for their money, and to generate sales through forum threads like this. Unfortunately for you, you got caught this time.

Dont go GeorgeB and do keep updating the thread with your results.

Its one of the funniest on Briskoda and should be protected!