Skoda Connect Setup for the Kamiq

Den_Cla

And now a journey to and from the dealer - using valuable leave time - and an hour spent while two people faffed about.

Apparently there is a problem with Skoda Connect - as there has been for the past 7 months.

Failure of an advertised item to work renders the vehicle of unmerchantable quality so here goes on returning it. What a shame that my previously good Skoda experience has been spoiled by this nonsense.

Skoda now about a fault its something to do with a program that stops the ECU from damage when in production if its not removed at the end of production skoda connect doesnt work an other features. Others havhad to have a new infotainment fitted 

Edited by skoda1982

36 minutes ago, skoda1982 said:

Skoda now about a fault its something to do with a program that stops the ECU from damage when in production if its not removed at the end of production skoda connect doesnt work an other features. Others havhad to have a new infotainment fitted 

Mine is perfect now works a treat, since I put my date of birth in the registration on my skoda portal, not skoda conect or skoda light then give conect permission 

13 hours ago, skoda1982 said:

In which case, they should stop advertising it as a feature of the Kamiq. It doesn't work, therefore rendering the vehicle of unmerchantable quality.

7 hours ago, RodTucker said:

In which case, they should stop advertising it as a feature of the Kamiq. It doesn't work, therefore rendering the vehicle of unmerchantable quality.

Mine works as done  from day one 

The point is that it doesn't on mine, therefore my vehicle is defective. The engine works fine on mine. Would you be happy if yours didn't?

I have allowed my Skoda Connect subscription to lapse. It's never been more than a pointless toy to me and I wonder whether it's still working in the background 'watching' everything I do and where I go, something I find vaguely disquieting.

Thanks,

1 hour ago, RodTucker said:

The point is that it doesn't on mine, therefore my vehicle is defective. The engine works fine on mine. Would you be happy if yours didn't?

18 hours ago, skoda1982 said:

Mine works as done  from day one 

It is good to know that it can work on some cars, at least. But what is going on with the others?

8 hours ago, RodTucker said:

There is words missing in message. At the end it was supposed to say the only time it didn't was when I had to renew my licence/subscription cost of £44

8 hours ago, longedge said:

I have allowed my Skoda Connect subscription to lapse. It's never been more than a pointless toy to me and I wonder whether it's still working in the background 'watching' everything I do and where I go, something I find vaguely disquieting.

I paid for another year £44 as I like to get  satnav updates and software updates real-time navigation lura online and WiFi hotspot. The one I didn't renew was Myskoda apps as I can find my car in a carpark don't need to honk and flash lock and unlock next service. The one thing I might miss is if it gets nicked won't be able to find it as it acts as a tracker as well as notifying your alarm has gone  off

Must admit I hadn't thought about software updates. So if at some time they manage to make a change to the software to prevent the car from periodically trying to snatch the steering wheel out of my hand I won't get the update. Well at least I've now managed to get into the habit of switching lane assist and stop/start off before driving off.

i would quite like stop/start if only it were consistent. Circumstances dictate that most of my journeys are on the same route at the same time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Lane assist is dangerous. May be Ok if you only ever travel on motorways/dual carriageways but where I live in the country, I don't need to be fighting the wheel because the road curves a bit. The default option should be 'off' with the option to switch it on.

On 30/04/2021 at 09:09, RodTucker said:

Lane assist is dangerous. May be Ok if you only ever travel on motorways/dual carriageways but where I live in the country, I don't need to be fighting the wheel because the road curves a bit. The default option should be 'off' with the option to switch it on.

It's now part of Euro NCAP ratings for Lane Assist that the Emergency Lane Keeping is enabled by default at start

https://cdn.euroncap.com/media/53156/euro-ncap-assessment-protocol-sa-v902.pdf

6.2 Definitions

Emergency Lane Keeping (ELK) – default ON heading correction that is applied automatically by the vehicle in response to the detection of the vehicle that is about to drift beyond the edge of the road or into oncoming or overtaking traffic in the adjacent lane.

Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) – heading correction that is applied automatically by the vehicle in response to the detection of the vehicle that is about to drift beyond a delineated edge line of the current travel lane.

Lane Departure Warning (LDW) – a warning that is provided automatically by the vehicle in response to the vehicle that is about to drift beyond a delineated edge line of the current travel lane.

Emergency Lane Keeping (ELK)

From 2020 onwards, to be eligible for scoring points in ELK, the ELK part of the LSS system needs to be default ON at the start of every journey and deactivation of the system should not be possible with a momentary single push on a button.

As has been said in various threads before, but that doesn't make the implementation of it in the Kamiq either safe or desirable. In my own experience it is unreliable and makes completely incorret 'decisions'. It makes the driving experience more stressful and tiring and there is nothing to commend it as it stands.

I gave my feedback on the subject to Euro NCAP some time ago using their contact form.

With Lane Keeping along with other tech becoming mandatory for all new cars next year and all existing models by 2024 I don't see much scope that they'll change the tests to remove it.

If anything the default On technology will expand in the coming years.

It finally got the better of me and I have opted to reject the car as being of unmerchantable quality.

As might be expected, both Skoda Care ("Care" - don't make me laugh) and the dealer are being less than helpful. I may resort to dumping it on their forecourt one evening.

Was I just lucky or did I take a more mature attitude to the occassional glitch that comes with todays sophisticated cars?

Everything seems to work on my Kamiq from the off (this may change, having posted this so I reserve the right to moan :biggrin:)

I am glad that everyone settled down, cast off the Mr. Angry guise and got things sorted. All this electronic gadgetry has

been attached to VW cars so it must have a reasonable pedigree.

2 hours ago, gumdrop said:

Was I just lucky or did I take a more mature attitude to the occassional glitch that comes with todays sophisticated cars?

Everything seems to work on my Kamiq from the off (this may change, having posted this so I reserve the right to moan :biggrin:)

I am glad that everyone settled down, cast off the Mr. Angry guise and got things sorted. All this electronic gadgetry has

been attached to VW cars so it must have a reasonable pedigree.

You got lucky.

Problems with mine are numerous. In no particular order: Satnav is rubbish. It takes different routes on the same journey. No facility for shortest/fastest/economical route. Tried to take me the wrong way up a one-way street. Still shows a road as 60mph which was changed to 40 about 10 years ago; road sign recognition might be useful if the sign on screen was not obscured by the speed limit sign; virtual dashboard keeps changing display during journeys in no apparent order; usb-c is not up to vehicular use. Even closing the door can cause it to stop working, then it resets to the first track regardless; connection to iphone is variable; phone charging just does not work; now lane assist - the most dangerous thing on a car I have experienced in nearly 50 years on the road - has started to turn back on unwanted; auto stop/start is unpredictable as is eco - which, by coasting out of gear, is against everything I learned as an IAM member, driving instructor, driving examiner and trainer at DSA Cardington; aircon either blasts you out of your seat or emits a faint gasp of air and, again, is unpredictable.

Back to satnav - why not a simple version where you enter the UK postcode and away you go? I can't work out how to delete destinations that I no longer require. Usually it gives you sufficient notice of a junction but sometime and again unpredictably, it tells me about a turn when I'm on top of it.

It will not connect to Skoda Connect; Connect Lite or MySkoda. I have tried - sitting for hours on end in the car waiting for something/anything to happen. An IT expert has tried. The dealer has tried. Skoda Care ("care" - don't make me laugh) have allegedly tried.

I have had a number of update on the Infotainment system which do appear to have solved the problems. However i still experience the following on a regular basis .

1. Radio changes station from Talk Sport to Radio Liverpool. Looking for some answers I read that if you have a dash cam with aa rear camera ,this can cause the problem due to  interference.....
  2. On the MySkoda app the Doors & Lights indicates the windows are closed when they are open. Also the app sjhows locked even when the boot did not close correctly and could still be opened.                                         

We picked up a brand new Kamiq SEL for the wife last week and if I am honest i think that the software is extremely buggy to a point of being useless.

So far we have had the following issues:

1. Cannot make a user the 'primary user' - even though driving license confirmed with Skoda I get the error ‘Please try again or call customer service’ - every sinlge time i try - i have reset the head unit countless times and still no joy.

2. Gear suggestion suggest changin from 6th gear down to 1st whilst doing 70 MPH on the motorway!

3. Lane assist icon comes and goes from the "virtual cockpit" and i am pretty sure when its not there its not working.

4. Whenever I try and do anything to do with Skoda Connect in the car it takes 1-2 minutes for thinsg to happen and we are only half a mile from ee/voda/o2/three phone masts 

I cannot get a straight answer out the supplying dealer as to wether they have done all the software updates as part of the PDI - I seriously doubt they have as I am guessing Skoda will pay them to do updates so i will need to book the car in.

Not a very happy bunny at the moment!

8 hours ago, RodTucker said:

You got lucky.

Problems with mine are numerous. In no particular order: Satnav is rubbish. It takes different routes on the same journey. No facility for shortest/fastest/economical route. Tried to take me the wrong way up a one-way street. Still shows a road as 60mph which was changed to 40 about 10 years ago; road sign recognition might be useful if the sign on screen was not obscured by the speed limit sign; virtual dashboard keeps changing display during journeys in no apparent order; usb-c is not up to vehicular use. Even closing the door can cause it to stop working, then it resets to the first track regardless; connection to iphone is variable; phone charging just does not work; now lane assist - the most dangerous thing on a car I have experienced in nearly 50 years on the road - has started to turn back on unwanted; auto stop/start is unpredictable as is eco - which, by coasting out of gear, is against everything I learned as an IAM member, driving instructor, driving examiner and trainer at DSA Cardington; aircon either blasts you out of your seat or emits a faint gasp of air and, again, is unpredictable.

Back to satnav - why not a simple version where you enter the UK postcode and away you go? I can't work out how to delete destinations that I no longer require. Usually it gives you sufficient notice of a junction but sometime and again unpredictably, it tells me about a turn when I'm on top of it.

It will not connect to Skoda Connect; Connect Lite or MySkoda. I have tried - sitting for hours on end in the car waiting for something/anything to happen. An IT expert has tried. The dealer has tried. Skoda Care ("care" - don't make me laugh) have allegedly tried. Skoda connect is the earth white at the top it does not tell you you are connected 

To delete destinations on main screen where circles are press and hold destination swipe left delete in red appears press it. Post codes top left same screen press top icon enter postcode or address or longitudes/latitudes. Startstop only works when certain parameters are met 

Eco only works coasting on the flat if going slightly up hill or down it uses engine power so eco turns off. Road sign if obstructed press hold swipe left it puts them side by side. You can change satnav to mormal fastest or eco in settings. It will take you different routes if there is a delay you can set in settings to notify if you want to change the route if you don't set it will just change the route. It doesn't tell you you are connected to skoda connect if the earth white you are 

• 1 month later...
On 17/02/2020 at 12:34, Den_Cla said:

Thanks for your reply. I signed up to the website OK and on the Connect app on my phone it recognises the car's VIN and has a message saying complete the Activation in the vehicle using your 2 key fobs.

I did this but on pressing the second key fob button the screen moved on to "Activation not complete - contact customer services message". Pretty frustrating experience really!

Nothings changed. Same thing happening for me today. 

Given up for now.