Is it me or the car

Hi all, been on here a few times about complaints and problems with my octavia. I'm not sure if I'm too fussy or over sensitive. I have tried setting my tyres at 30 psi for comfort on my car, ride feels really bumpy through steering wheel, tried 35 psi now and its bit better ride over bumps, however I feel a constant fizzy, buzzing vibration through steering wheel but one silk smooth road it's fine but on anything else it transmits all the detail of the road into steering wheel so I feel as if there something on car missing that's not absorbing all this feeling from road. At 70 mph on silk smooth road it's fine but on rougher surfaces on motorway same again, transmits everything. Tyres are michelin energy saver 205/55/16. I feel as if the suspension is not doing anything at all, transmit blocks have been removed so ruled that out. I find this has become more prominent as miles have clocked up but it's only done 2500 miles so cant see tyres being faulty at this mileage.

Which model of Octavia have you got ?

Is that 2,500 since brand new ?

Energy Saver tyres ain't supposed to be soft n supple hence, they'll have quite hard sidewalls hence, lower pressures aren't really gonna help.

TBH, run the car at the Eco pressures shown inside the fuel filler flap, let the suspension settle a little (if it's only 2-1/2k miles) & if you can't live with it go back to the dealership & ask what can be done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's the mk3 octavia on a 69 plate. In the filler cap it says 2.1 bar for normal and 2.4 bar for eco which equals around 35 psi which they are at now. I have mentioned to dealership before when it went in for another problem and they said it's normal to them. I do find it better at 2.4 bar than 2.1 it seems to ride better but still has some buzzy feeling there. Whether the suspension like you say is still tight and has to bed in is causing the issue

My 1.4 SE Combi was on the same eco tyres, now on Quatrac5. I usually run at 2.3bar front and 2.4bar rear. It does thump on bumps, but acceptable to me. 

Thanks for input, the roads near me are not totally smooth, it's more coarse than anything else. On these roads I have a buzzy feeling as if that coarse surface is transmitting to my hands, the roads have to be glass to totally reduce the feeling.

On 16/02/2020 at 15:43, Leeroy1986 said:

Thanks for input, the roads near me are not totally smooth, it's more coarse than anything else. On these roads I have a buzzy feeling as if that coarse surface is transmitting to my hands, the roads have to be glass to totally reduce the feeling.

Yeah, shocks & springs are gonna be a bit stiff at that age, these cars are built to a budget, that's a part of why them cost less than VW or Audi.

You could try working the front suspension a little, possibly with help of the wife. Whilst not strictly in the Owners manual or a part of the recommended running procedure, you could always ask the good lady, see what she thinks.

What could possible go wrong😉😉😉

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

I might as well mention 'Transit Blocks'.    Best check closely that they were removed before or at the PDI.  

Do I need to jack car up to check if they been removed or can they be seen while car sat

Within 2 weeks I put Cross Climates on my car, I had no idea what pressure the Energy Savers were at, but the ride is definitely more compliant on the Cross Climates.  Yes I can feel a bit of road surface through the steering wheel, but mine appears a bit speed dependent, so may be wheel balancing, but nothing too noticeable.

Agreed, cars are built to a cost, but more than happy with the compromise for the monthly lease rate I am paying.

Edited by Kental
  • Confused 1

Did you put the cross climates on at your own accord or did you request the lease company to do it for you. Yeah mine is speed dependent too if I go down motorway at 70 mph at 2300 rpm I feel a slight vibration but I think its from the surface because if I hit a really smooth piece of road its calms down but slightly there whether it's a rough point on the engine as it's a 3 cylinder as well I'm not sure, maybe I'm expecting mercedes Benz quality from a budget vehicle. 🤔

15 minutes ago, Leeroy1986 said:

Did you put the cross climates on at your own accord or did you request the lease company to do it for you. Yeah mine is speed dependent too if I go down motorway at 70 mph at 2300 rpm I feel a slight vibration but I think its from the surface because if I hit a really smooth piece of road its calms down but slightly there whether it's a rough point on the engine as it's a 3 cylinder as well I'm not sure, maybe I'm expecting mercedes Benz quality from a budget vehicle. 🤔

In the words of the best Skoda Workshop Manager.

"They all do that Sir"

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@Kental

?

Are you saying that for 2 weeks you could have been driving with the tyres at 50psi if they were not re-set at the PDI, or at just whatever the tech or fitter set the tyres at before handover?

Our first Yeti came with dangerously over inflated tyres, apart from one which was underinflated.

Done at Simpsons PDi center.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@Kental

?

Are you saying that for 2 weeks you could have been driving with the tyres at 50psi if they were not re-set at the PDI, or at just whatever the tech or fitter set the tyres at before handover?

When i had a fabia as a courtesy car which had 90 miles on the clock I thought mine had a harsh ride but my god that was bad. Anyways I checked pressure on them and they was at 48 psi all round. So obviously that one not been inspected by dealership 

• Like 1

Nobody should borrow / hire / accept a new or used car without being sure they have safe tyre pressures.

As to people commenting on a vehicles ride without knowing what the tyre pressures are that pee's me right off.

Motoring Journalists especially, and car reviewers.   

Go to any car launch and you see them get the keys, sometimes get a warmed up car and then drive not knowing tyre pressures or even the grade of fuel the media team hand a car over with.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

Motoring Journalists especially, and car reviewers.   

Go to any car launch and you see them get the keys, sometimes get a warmed up car and then drive not knowing tyre pressures

The guys at work think I am mental for checking my pressures every week or 2 and I also try to check the pool cars when I take one out. Not always easy though.

4 hours ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

Nobody should borrow / hire / accept a new or used car without being sure they have safe tyre pressures.

When you collect a brand new car from the dealer do you go around the vehicle with a tyre pressure gauge before you drive away?

• Like 1

@logiclee

Yes.   Been around the motor trade long enough since i started as an apprentice motor engineer.

New or used, i have a tyre pressure guage in my pocket. and if the pressures are not set at a safe setting and at least matching across the front axles and rear the salesperson has to go get the Master Tech and get the car into the workshop for them to check as in another PDI.

If they want to waste an hour of my time taking the huff and taking their time it is me with the money they want.

I have walked before now. Well got back in a car and driven away. I don't walk to collect cars.

If the pressures and the TPMS is not reset they can check fluids, wheel stud / bolt torque etc.

Then i check them again, fluids before driving and wheels once home.

Same with a Used car at a Dealership.    Ask the salesperson what the tyre pressures are and if they do not know ask them to check. 

Same with Courtesy cars, hire cars.   If everyone asked they would soon learn.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot