New Landrover Defender are you up for one?

vrskeith

@skomaz  There are many different kinds of farmers, tenant or land owner or slipper farmers in NI the same as in the RoUK.

You were maybe right though with 'most', also maybe with 'the farmers you know'. 

But that 'most' just means a majority, and not 'all'. No idea just who you know, but what about those you do not know?

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

Just now, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@skomaz  There are many different kinds of farmers, tenant or land owner or slipper farmers in NI the same as in the RoUK.

@Roottootemblowinootsoot Indeed there are - so it would be helpful if you refrained from inferring they were al loaded and tarring them all with the same brush   😉 

• Groan 1

@skomaz  You are the one that is tarring them all as being like paupers. Open your eyes.

Salt of the earth, hard working individuals. Well there are many of those.

There are those that are loaded, having worked hard, or worked the system, & you must know different ones from those that i have meet at 4x4 offroad competition and fishing.

I used to go regularly to NI, and the South.

Screenshot 2020-06-18 at 13.45.29.png

Screenshot 2020-06-18 at 13.44.29.png

• Groan 1

23 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Indeed - stereotypical posh 4x4 parking taking place there that deserves to be reported as it's a ticketable offence!

As an aside the backend of that Defender is pretty fugly...

By evening time there are at least 20 vehicles parked on the kerb as there are too many vehicles for not enough space in drives. Where the defender is parked they have 4 cars and just enough space for a Fiesta in their drive.

25 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

By evening time there are at least 20 vehicles parked on the kerb as there are too many vehicles for not enough space in drives.

The fatal flaws in many modern housing estates - narrow roads and not enough parking spaces for a typical family with teenagers who all drive.

The reality is, and won't change a lot IMHO even with the increase in working from home, that most people live far enough away from their place of work to need mechanised transport and expecting public transport to be able to take most people not in a major city from where they live to where they work is never going to be economically feasible. So housing estates need to be designed with the assumption that there will be as many cars at a property as there are bedrooms.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

You were maybe right though with 'most', also maybe with 'the farmers you know'. 

But that 'most' just means a majority, and not 'all'. No idea just who you know, but what about those you do not know?

I see you've edited your post since my reply to try and put a different slant on your comment.

It would make the continuity better if you refrained from adding and left alone

51 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@skomaz  You are the one that is tarring them all as being like paupers. Open your eyes.

Salt of the earth, hard working individuals. Well there are many of those.

There are those that are loaded, having worked hard, or worked the system, & you must know different ones from those that i have meet at 4x4 offroad competition and fishing.

I used to go regularly to NI, and the South.

Screenshot 2020-06-18 at 13.45.29.png

Screenshot 2020-06-18 at 13.44.29.png

Not so...   You regularly post that farmers are loaded in numerous threads.

However we agree that thier income varies and there are different types of farmers

• Groan 1

37 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

By evening time there are at least 20 vehicles parked on the kerb as there are too many vehicles for not enough space in drives. Where the defender is parked they have 4 cars and just enough space for a Fiesta in their drive.

The road looks wide enough to not have to park on the footway though regardless

7 minutes ago, skomaz said:

The road looks wide enough to not have to park on the footway though regardless

When I leave for work at 5am there is just enough space to get my Superb between the parked cars on both kerbs. If they parked just on the road then the road would be blocked. When the refuse lorry comes to empty the bins we have to take our rubbish to the truck because they can't reach us otherwise.

Edited by shyVRS245
spelling mistake

10 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

When I leave for work at 5am there is just enough space to get my Superb between the parked cars on both kerbs. If they parked just on the road then the road would be blocked. When the refuse lorry comes to empty the bins we have to take our rubbish to the truck because they can't reach us otherwise.

So they double park on both pavements - even worse!

If they parked on the road and not on the footway they probably wouldn't then double park...   but I guess some are too lazy to use their legs and think it's a god given right to park outside their house.  The other thing about that photo was that they appear to be parking on a corner / bend restricting forward visibility?

1 minute ago, skomaz said:

So they double park on both pavements - even worse!

If they parked on the road and not on the footway they probably wouldn't then double park...   but I guess some are too lazy to use their legs and think it's a god given right to park outside their house.  The other thing about that photo was that they appear to be parking on a corner / bend restricting forward visibility?

After 8 years living here I have got used to restricted vision when turning into and leaving our narrow private road.

1 minute ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

@skomaz

You are earning a reg plate like this.  Brighten up, there is a lifting of lock down.  

DSCN1520.JPG

Touche George - you maybe want to lighten up yourself at times if you don't like receiving comments like you make...   😉 

Anyhow - back to work now

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, PetrolDave said:

The fatal flaws in many modern housing estates - narrow roads and not enough parking spaces for a typical family with teenagers who all drive.

The reality is, and won't change a lot IMHO even with the increase in working from home, that most people live far enough away from their place of work to need mechanised transport and expecting public transport to be able to take most people not in a major city from where they live to where they work is never going to be economically feasible. So housing estates need to be designed with the assumption that there will be as many cars at a property as there are bedrooms.

Yeah, I thought some of the planning rules that had caused this were withdrawn?

4/5 bed houses being built with a single garage too small for a fiesta and no real drive. Then they wonder why a house with 4/5 individuals of driving age are parked on the streets.

They're all supposed to use public transport on bus routes that have been cut to the bone or where it would take you 5hr to commute to the next town.

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 2

@shyVRS245

A favour please.  Ask the guy you know that works in the JLR Dealership for an idea of the kind of people that are ordering new Defenders and if any are people wanting them as a work vehicle.

@Aspman

Just this week i was reading about the planned Garden Villages in England and how reliant those living there would be on cars.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-53050801

Grant Shapps, Robert Jenrick (if he lasts) & Rushi Sunak need to get together and get the planning so that there is off street parking and the requirement that properties are ready for EV charging points and EV to grid before planning is allowed.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/452464-england-ev-charging-points-a-proposal

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Aspman said:

Yeah, I thought some of the planning rules that had caused this were withdrawn?

4/5 bed houses being built with a single garage too small for a fiesta and no real drive. Then they wonder why a house with 4/5 individuals of driving age part on the streets.

They're all supposed to use public transport on bus routes that have been cut to the bone or where it would take you 5hr to commute to the next town.

Depends - some Local Authorities may have relaxed their local rules but the onus is still on reduced numbers of spaces and promotion of Public Transport and 'active travel' (ie walking and cycling).

I do agree with you though - some of it is daft and there needs to be flexibility to suit the location.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My property in the UK was an estate built in 1958, photos from the early 60's show one car and a three wheeler microcar being the only vehicles parked outside the 12 houses, so definitely not planned for vehicles.

Nonetheless even with one house being massively over-extended and housing a family with 6 cars and the woman being a childminder so selfish 4x4 yummie mummies coming and going at all hours of the day to date people do not park on the kerbs, it may be something to do with the proliferation of sidewall punctures.

That said having been in lockdown here in France for 3 months and not being able to return the situation may have changed a bit, the last time I returned here within 24 hours that particular neighbour was parking 2 of their cars on my drive, it cost me a bit but I had them both towed away by wheelclamper types that I know would not have released them from their secure premises without extracting a lot of money. I dont anticipate that problem re-occuring.

The road is a dead end hammerhead and the footpaths either side lead to a cut trough to the infants school & local shops, when cars are parked on the kerbs children whose parents take great care making them wait, cross when its safe etc, teaching them good road sense have no choice but to step out into the road as do my elderly neighbours in their mobility scooters who have to bump up & down kerbs.

The worse culprits are parents and grandparents picking up young children from the childminder, the very people who should be sensitive to footpaths being obstructed.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

^^^

A standard 90 / 110 Defender could not tackle tracks like that.

Screenshot 2020-06-19 at 09.44.28 (1).jpg

Screenshot 2020-06-19 at 09.44.51.jpg

tay & tong.& knockhill. june 2009 025.jpg

3DJtv00n.jpg

The sound of the 90 V8, love it.

I used have the mud tyres on my 90, awesome off road but tram line on the slightest bit of uneven tarmac.

5 hours ago, Roottootemblowinootsoot said:

Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 11.21.35 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 11.22.22 AM.jpg

Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 11.21.58 AM.jpg

Prices start at £35,500 before VAT, which is a bit less than the Defender 90 bust still a lot more than the opposition mentioned earlier and will be even pricier with VAT on top (if paid).

I still think they'll have lost the commercial market unless those that buy them are 'fashion conscious'...

I know it's perception but be honest - if two builders turned up at your house - one in Mitsubishi L200 / D-Max and one in one of the above, who would you think was going to charge you the most for any work?

• Like 1