Things worth doing before selling

We are officially going down to a one car family 😔 but that's OK because we have 2 x Octavia VRS mk3 so all is not lost!

Now, the PCP still has 18 months to go and I dont want the faff of a private sale so it looks like a sale to a dealer. Does anybody have any experience of whether it's worthwhile to get cosmetic repairs done or not? It has the odd blemish but nothing major (its a 64 plate) and the front alloys are scuffed. I could spend money sorting all that but only if it meant I gained it back on the valuation. It also needs a service in 2 months,  right when I'd be looking to part with it and buy a bicycle. My wife still gets to drive an Octavia.... good job I love her!

Thanks for your help 🙂

I would be interested in the outcome as I am in the same position with my VRS. However, just before christmas we took our little fabia monte along to arnold clark with the idea of trading it in against something a bit bigger. The car goes back in march anyway so we can get rid of it for free so nothing to lose. They looked around the monte, it has 1 mark on the boot lip where something has scratched it loading and unloading. They came back in and said it was immaculate, then instantly offered us 1200 less than the handback buy it now price from vw finance. While they were busy talking I ran it through the 'arnold clark buy my car' website as an immaculate car and got an offer 600 higher than the end value. They were a little surprised when I showed them.

In my experience the dealer will knock you down for any marks but sell it at an immaculate price anyway, or at least try to, thus winning twice. Just like options dont seem to affect trade in prices but bump up sales prices.

You are dealing with untrustworthy people, so keep your wits about you...

14 minutes ago, Luptonian said:

I do expect value to be knocked off because of this and that but if its less than the cost of the repair then its a win to leave it as it is. I dont know if it is though! 🤔

If you have a friend in the trade then it might be worth sorting before sale, but if you are paying retail then it may be cheaper to leave.

The worst experience we had was how a friend was treated many many years ago.  Her trade in was non pristine granted, but the salesman then showed below average CAP, but then reduce the trade in price by all the things needed to put it right.  I then politely mentioned that they either start at clean and reduce or pay below average and leave it at that.

I can assure you, the industry has moved on since then.  

If you’ve had it around 2 years, you should be able to voluntary terminate your PCP. I did with m Polo. Cost me about 4 quid to sort out. PCPs are easy to get into, getting out less so. 

Im hoping to get a few different quotes so that i know im not getting completely ripped off. Im not sure we are far enough through the PCP for a hand back. Maybe 700 short. I think it's normally 50% of what's due including the balloon payment. It's an option though as long as VW finance don't blacklist us. If I was handing the car back within the terms of the PCP then I could maybe get away with scuffs as reasonable damage but seeing as it would be a simple sale to a dealer (with money straight to the finance company of course) then every little imperfection would effect value and so would any repair.

Edited by Luptonian
Mistype

You could be best off with webuyanycar. Main dealerships are not interested in just buying cars, they want a sale to go with it to get the manufacturer bonus payments. 

On 18/02/2020 at 13:27, threadbear said:

If you’ve had it around 2 years, you should be able to voluntary terminate your PCP. I did with m Polo. Cost me about 4 quid to sort out. PCPs are easy to get into, getting out less so. 

WTF, you can only VT at 50% of full invoice amount already paid.

Unless a large deposit was put down you aren't in a position to VT

Please guys stop giving false hope

@Luptonian 1-1/2 years left on a PCP you'll be in a negative equity position, Skoda UK Customer Services can tell you your current position, only you can then judge if it's cheaper to get out now or see the term out.

Kinda think WBAC or somebody along that line will give you a better price than a dealer but be warned they'll knock the original quote down for every single mark but, not as much as it'll cost to fix them

You need to get a balance on what is outstanding on the PCP. Then compare it to what you get offered. With PCP you dont actually pay for the car but cover the depreciation value. Generally you dont pay anywhere near the 50% mark to hand the car back until near the end of the term. Having looked in the past, I was always in negative equity when I looked to change a car. Chances are is that you will have to put money in to clear the finance. You would get more by selling private.

Personally, I would avoid WBAC and Evans Halshaw because their pricing model is all about taking minimal details from you during the quotation process and then chipping the price down once you turn up with the vehicle. Plus the fact that you are expected to go to them, immediately causes you more hassle.

I just sold a car through a broker called Motorway. They take more details from you during the quote process including photos to offer a more reliable  indicative price. They then try to secure the highest bid for your car by touting it to their buyers before bringing the price back to you. If you accept, the actual trade buyer makes contact with you and comes to pick up the car. In my case, the top bid offered was over the indicative price offered and and above both Evans Halshaw and WBAC. It's worth a go if you don't want the hassle of a private sale as there's no commitment made until you get your final price offered.

• Like 1

Lots of good stuff do thanks very much everyone. It looks like we are not far off the 50% but also WBAC are quoting 600 quid above our settlement which perhaps indicates we will be OKish when we pay with the car using one of the options suggested (will certainly bear in mind the cautionary tales). 

On 19/02/2020 at 20:36, ACB52 said:

You could be best off with webuyanycar. Main dealerships are not interested in just buying cars, they want a sale to go with it to get the manufacturer bonus payments. 

Bear in mind that the value WBAC initially quote is the absolute maximum they might give you, and they will knock it down for any tiny imperfection. They quoted us around £1,500 for our 8 year old Roomster, did the walk round where they said it was in pretty good condition, and then offered us £800 because of some very small issues. We haggled them up to £1,000, but unfortunately they had us over a barrel as the insurance ran out the next day so we needed the quick sale.

That said, it was still £250 more than the dealer offered us in part exchange for our new Octavia