The Coronavirus (COVID-19) Topic.

@Lee

I have just been looking online and the scientists and medical professionals are stating that although there are mitigating factors in the flu death rates, the real world current death rate of CV-19 is many many times worse than seasonal flu. The big figures you quoted seem to be in the ball park for what is to come. It is much more frightening than I thought it was a few weeks ago when it looked like it was going to be just a super virulent flu type of affair. What condemned it in my mind was Trump saying it was no worse than the flu. Since then the medical outpouring (more or less) calling him an idiot is overwhelming. 

I'll  tell you something else as well, if the Chinese wanted to completely **** up the worlds economy they couldn't have done a better job than shutting up shop and halting production for a month or two and claiming it was a humanitarian move for what turns out to be this seasons flu epidemic, mutated by themselves, because one thing is sure their recovery economically will be quicker than the US or europes.

Bugger the conspiracy theorists blaming the cia it was the chinese themselves 😆

5 minutes ago, Lady Elanore said:

I have just been looking online and the scientists and medical professionals are stating that although there are mitigating factors in the flu death rates, the real world current death rate of CV-19 is many many times worse than seasonal flu. The big figures you quoted seem to be in the ball park for what is to come. It is much more frightening than I thought it was a few weeks ago when it looked like it was going to be just a super virulent flu type of affair. What condemned it in my mind was Trump saying it was no worse than the flu. Since then the medical outpouring (more or less) calling him an idiot is overwhelming. 

And how much of it is just that, trying to show trump to be an idiot, he doesn't need help.

And how many medical professionals and scientists  have a vested interest, ie how much funding they can squeeze out of it?

Edited by expostmanpat

I suspect the C-19 mortality numbers are a bit skewed at present as many cases will be unreported so making the virus seem more lethal, but on-line, scientists seem to be rounding numbers down to show that they think it will be in the same ball park as the Spanish Flu for mortality. Still, not good, especially if we can't do something about the transmission rate. 

2 minutes ago, expostmanpat said:

And how many medical professionals and scientists  have a vested interest, ie how much funding they can squeeze out of it?

it's not a conspiracy, it's a world wide epidemic that could well kill millions. Let us not forget Li Wenliang the first Doctor to whistleblow C-19, died from it. 

• Thanks 1

Thank god some of you don't advise governments.

This is a developing crisis, early stages, very clearly when countries all around the world close borders, shut down economic activity, theres something very serious going on.

Exponential curves, compound percentages, not difficult to understand, O level maths

Death rates must be taken on closed cases, not current active cases. I.e. patients who died vs patients who recovered. Currently 7%. But very likely much lower because a lot of infections don't get identified, not every death is tested.

WHO estimate around 3% on a world basis

Uk estimate around 1%

Depends on demographics, health systems, culture

Don't make comparisons until the result is in. That won't be known for many months.

1403-MATT-GALLERY-WEB-P1_trans_NvBQzQNjv

6 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

Two easy to understand graphics.

Although the second one would be better with some numbers. 

Capture.PNG

So the French and Italians enjoy more intimate contact with strangers and are more sociable, a similar graphic for the spread of any viur5would probably show the same, as for the second graphic that is just our government trying to show how they are trying to flatten the curve to stop the impact on the nhs.

No doubt if the uk cases taper well under those of Italy and France, and the rst of the EU it will proove that Brexit was the best thing sliced bread and agraphic will be published by Boris of were we could have been without it.

5 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Just returned from Makro and no normal BOGOF offer on toilet rolls, limit of 24 rolls per customer. Fortunately me and SWMBO have a card each so we managed to buy 48 rolls at full price using different checkouts.

Are you looking for some congratulations on how cunning and selfish you are?

Are you going to allow your tenants rent free periods if Covid-19 hits them financially?

🙄

Edited by xman
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Just returned from Makro and no normal BOGOF offer on toilet rolls, limit of 24 rolls per customer. Fortunately me and SWMBO have a card each so we managed to buy 48 rolls at full price using different checkouts.

Why does covid 19 give u the ****s?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, expostmanpat said:

We have 3 toilets in our house normally bulk buy which lasts us 6 months but we were running low and panic buying is enabling big business to effectively double the price of a product everyone buys. Having had covid-19 16 days ago you eat less I'm still only having 2 meals a day breakfast and tea and therefore **** less as a result. Bulk buying anything at the moment is utter madness. We just bought today the normal amount of toilet roll but paid twice as much as usual.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, expostmanpat said:

No, Shy's just a very very selfish sheeple. Thought he was infected and mentioned going to work to infect someone else out of spite.
He'll be back in his local church tomorrow morning no doubt asking the magical sky man's forgiveness before committing more selfish sheeple acts on Monday morning.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Having had covid-19 16 days ago 

@shyVRS245 did you ever get tested and  have it confirmed? You've been asked a few times but I don't recall you ever answering.
In fact don't bother. I won't believe what you say either way.

• Like 3

Just now, shyVRS245 said:

Having had covid-19 16 days ago you eat less I'm still only having 2 meals a day breakfast and tea and therefore **** less as a result.

Here we go again.

Our hero shy.

Did you get tested and confirmed?

Did you self-isolate for the required 14 days?

Did you notify the health authorities you had it?

Are you responsible for the hotspot infections in the Leicestershire area and how do you know, i.e. have you traced all your contacts and their contacts and so on?

• Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Having had covid-19 16 days ago you eat less I'm still only having 2 meals a day breakfast and tea and therefore **** less as a result. 

10 minutes ago, xman said:

Here we go again.

Our hero shy.

Did you get tested and confirmed?

Did you self-isolate for the required 14 days?

Did you notify the health authorities you had it?

Are you responsible for the hotspot infections in the Leicestershire area and how do you know, i.e. have you traced all your contacts and their contacts and so on?

I think he had the new muted strain of the Cover-19 virus    The remapped version   ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, expostmanpat said:

Shy ignore the twots, glad you have proved it is perfectly recoverable, of course the twots deny you ever had it because, inconveniently, they cant attend your funeral and wring their hands. Atb

It's got nothing to do with wanting to attend a funeral. He can't or won't even prove it as he didn't get tested.
It's his bloody selfishness that people have issue with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

I think he had the new muted strain of the Cover-19 virus    The remapped version   ;)

I really hope you don't get it with a fever for 5 days and your lungs feel like they are going to burst and I'm only 55 and never smoked. Anyone with poor lungs who can't stay hydrated will die. Normal flu which I have had twice is an absolute walk in the park in comparison. Just visited my parents and his elderly neighbour has it having returned from a winter break in Gran Canaria. I think you only pass it on during the fever phase which for me was between day 3 and day 7. You have been warned. Almost got rid of the cough after 16 days.

2 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

We have flights booked next week and the week after. Not hopeful.

Especially since Tui have cancelled several days worth already.

Likewise - we were supposed to be in the Algarve for 10 days starting in a fortnight...   can't see that happening now as I imagine Portugal may well follow Spain given the proximty...

2 minutes ago, xman said:

I notice from

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ that most african countries are now seeded.

Be interesting to see those in 4 weeks.

American tourist flew to Kenya via Heathrow to share the virus with my wife's relatives. How kind of them. They will be welcomed back to America as U.S citizens of course by the Trumpeter. Who has banned UK and Eire citizens from travelling to the U.S from midnight Monday evening joining the other 26 countries in the EU.