Superb Spare Wheel Well

BOD20

I put the whole lot in the shed. When the time comes to change the car I can either put the gubbins back in place of the spare, give the new owner the spare as well out of the goodness of my heart or, if I get another Superb, keep the spare for that . Not difficult to work out provided you have a shed or a garage - it's definitely not going to fit through the hatch into the loft!

1 hour ago, g_tee said:

To those who bought a spare wheel - what did you do with the giant styrofoam insert that was there to begin with?

Seems a shame to bin it, but I have no idea who would need one? Either they already have one with their car, or a spare wheel! I saw an ebay listing £50 for it!!

keep the compressor and foam , bin the moulding as I think the ones on eBay are just chancing it 😜👍🏻

• Like 1

On 01/03/2020 at 21:55, JR RS said:

I never put my spare tyre on the front.

If it's my front that's flat, I put the good rear one at the front, and place the spare on the rear, as shown in the pic.

I wouldn't put two different sized tyres on my front driving wheels.

That would be a good juggling trick. Or do you carry two jacks?...or a hatchet and plenty of local trees to help with chocking? :)

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, digifish said:

That would be a good juggling trick. Or do you carry two jacks?...or a hatchet and plenty of local trees to help with chocking? :)

Lol, u make a good point.

No I don't have two jacks in the car.

If I had front puncture on the side of the road, then yes - there is no choice but to put the spare on the front.

But I do have jack stands at home, so that allows me to take more than one wheel off at a time, and swap the front to the rear.

4 hours ago, JR RS said:

Lol, u make a good point.

No I don't have two jacks in the car.

If I had front puncture on the side of the road, then yes - there is no choice but to put the spare on the front.

But I do have jack stands at home, so that allows me to take more than one wheel off at a time, and swap the front to the rear.

How hard can this possibly be? If you have a front puncture, jack up the rear, take off the good wheel and put your skinny spare on. Then jack up the front, take off the bad one, put on the good one you just took off the rear, then put the punctured one in the boot and drive off!

1 hour ago, D402 said:

Playing devil's advocate here - shouldn't you always have the best tyres on the rear?

Quite right, all other things being equal, but you shouldn't have two tyres of different widths on the driven axle. Remember, too, that a skinny spare must only be driven for a maximum of something like 50 miles at no more than 50mph, so the potential for getting into difficulties is somewhat limited with sensible driving.

1 minute ago, ArisaigDavid said:

you shouldn't have two tyres of different widths on the driven axle

Why not? This is common advice but no reason is ever given. The handbook doesn't say to use a space saver spare on the rear only, it only mentions 'the wheel that needs changing'.

7 minutes ago, D402 said:

Why not? This is common advice but no reason is ever given. The handbook doesn't say to use a space saver spare on the rear only, it only mentions 'the wheel that needs changing'.

Because one tyre will be providing far more grip than the other, and the differential will become confused and break. Can we stop this before somebody realises that I don't really know what I'm talking about?

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, D402 said:

Aside from any of that, how on earth did you manage to make any sense of the handbook!

21 minutes ago, ArisaigDavid said:

Aside from any of that, how on earth did you manage to make any sense of the handbook!

The section on wheel changing wasn't too bad, apart from having the critical point about tightening and loosening the wheel bolts with the wheel on the ground after the step-by-step instructions 🤔

19 hours ago, ArisaigDavid said:

I put the whole lot in the shed. When the time comes to change the car I can either put the gubbins back in place of the spare, give the new owner the spare as well out of the goodness of my heart or, if I get another Superb, keep the spare for that . Not difficult to work out provided you have a shed or a garage - it's definitely not going to fit through the hatch into the loft!

That's actually quite sensible. I shall do the very same. 

6 hours ago, D402 said:

Playing devil's advocate here - shouldn't you always have the best tyres on the rear?

Yep, the one that's not flat 😃 😉

21 hours ago, ArisaigDavid said:

I specced the space saver spare with the car, so left all the kit in the foam but trimmed the foam so it fits inside the full size spare.

Sold the space saver on its own on eBay😀

For anyone contemplating replacing the "tyre repair kit" with a spacesaver spare wheel here's my recommendation based upon my recent experience - 

1. First ask on here if anyone has one for sale !! I missed a chance here that would have saved some time and effort.

2. You'll need the spacesaver wheel, a jack and brace kit, and a foam insert to support the floor properly. Skoda dealers will charge around £180 for a 16 inch wheel set and £210 for the 18 inch wheel set. That includes everything you need and the tyre is brand new, unused obviously.

3. If you want to get it cheaper then head over to eBay.  You should be able to find an 18 inch spacesaver wheel (just the wheel and tyre) for around £35. This will be a used item but query the seller and you should be able to determine that it will have plenty of tread for a spare. Note that all the VAG use the same spacesavers so an 18inch wheel for a VW Golf should fit the Superb and so on. The 18inch Superb wheel uses a 125/70 R18 tyre and the rim has the code "1K0601027B" stamped on it (the 16 inch wheel will have a different tyre size and code).

4. You can get the full jack, wheel brace and foam insert kit brand new from Superskoda here Superskoda 18inch or here Superskoda 16inch for around 60 Euros.

That makes the whole kit less than £100.

If you want to beef up the wheel brace with something that has a little more leverage then you'll need a 17mm socket on the end of it.

Don't forget to ensure you have the little plastic "tweezers" thingy to remove the plastic wheel nut covers - that's not included in the Superskoda kit.

And I highly recommend removing all the wheels and putting a touch of copper ease or similar around the inner centre of the wheel where it sits on the hub to prevent the wheel from sticking to the hub due to corrosion.

That's all.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BOD20 said:

For anyone contemplating replacing the "tyre repair kit" with a spacesaver spare wheel here's my recommendation based upon my recent experience - 

1. First ask on here if anyone has one for sale !! I missed a chance here that would have saved some time and effort.

2. You'll need the spacesaver wheel, a jack and brace kit, and a foam insert to support the floor properly. Skoda dealers will charge around £180 for a 16 inch wheel set and £210 for the 18 inch wheel set. That includes everything you need and the tyre is brand new, unused obviously.

3. If you want to get it cheaper then head over to eBay.  You should be able to find an 18 inch spacesaver wheel (just the wheel and tyre) for around £35. This will be a used item but query the seller and you should be able to determine that it will have plenty of tread for a spare. Note that all the VAG use the same spacesavers so an 18inch wheel for a VW Golf should fit the Superb and so on. The 18inch Superb wheel uses a 125/70 R18 tyre and the rim has the code "1K0601027B" stamped on it (the 16 inch wheel will have a different tyre size and code).

4. You can get the full jack, wheel brace and foam insert kit brand new from Superskoda here Superskoda 18inch or here Superskoda 16inch for around 60 Euros.

If you want to beef up the wheel brace with something that has a little more leverage then you'll need a 17mm socket on the end of it.

Don't forget to ensure you have the little plastic "tweezers" thingy to remove the plastic wheel nut covers - that's not included in the Superskoda kit.

And I highly recommend removing all the wheels and putting a touch of copper ease or similar around the inner centre of the wheel where it sits on the hub to prevent the wheel from sticking to the hub due to corrosion.

That's all.

exactly how I did it, bought the plastic tweezers and tow eye from eBay also.

was a god send after side wall of my f/n/s tyre burst after hitting the mother of all pot holes.

58 minutes ago, BOD20 said:

add nr "5."
whatever disc size is chosen change tire too

On 02/03/2020 at 14:31, MartiniB said:

there is room even for full diameter 205/65r16 spare wheel,
but not for full size, cause tire with can't go over 205 cm
-> https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/442912-full-size-spare-wheel/page/2/?tab=comments#comment-5040470

58 minutes ago, BOD20 said:

Don't forget to ensure you have the little plastic "tweezers" thingy to remove the plastic wheel nut covers

have collected several for free :)
because once a season ordering set of "chrome" wheel nut covers from Ali

Edited by MartiniB

Yeah I've got spare tweezers someone can have for postage. 

I managed to get a whole spare wheel kit off eBay for less than £100... Bargains are out there.

The foam insert you get with all the tools helps with stability - so I'd highly recommend that kit. 

• 1 year later...
On 29/02/2020 at 10:21, BOD20 said:

I've just taken delivery of a 2019 Superb Estate and plan to replace the wheel repair kit with a spacesaver wheel. Does anyone have any advice for changing or modifying the plastic molding under the boot floor so that the spacesaver will fit ? Anyone had previous experience of this ? Any advice greatly appreciated.

IMG_20200229_094956.jpg

Hey Bod20 fancy a straight swap?

My latest Superb 3 Estate has a spare wheel and i really want the foam insert instead. I used to have a 5door with the foam, loved it for wine storage on camping trips.

Anyway- drop me a DM please and let's talk swapsies. My Spare is new and never used, comes with all the inserts and the retainer obviously.

Yes I've been stranded when the sidewall was torn asunder by a ditch pretending to be a wet bit of tarmac ... couldn't get a tow as that car was 4x4 ... anyway i balance my choice of storage vs spare ... for a euro trip I'd simply load a spacesaver (wrapped) in the non-insulated area of the boot

Edited by CB_4x4

On 02/03/2020 at 22:32, g_tee said:

To those who bought a spare wheel - what did you do with the giant styrofoam insert that was there to begin with?

Seems a shame to bin it, but I have no idea who would need one? Either they already have one with their car, or a spare wheel! I saw an ebay listing £50 for it!!

I am still looking for one of those giant inserts ...anybody got one they need to 'lose' London way?

1 minute ago, CB_4x4 said:

I am still looking for one of those giant inserts ...anybody got one they need to 'lose' London way?

I still have it in the shed, and I was in London last week............ D'oh

1 minute ago, g_tee said:

I still have it in the shed, and I was in London last week............ D'oh

If it's available to post I'll do the paypal thing 😉 ..please DM me

• 5 months later...