Shampoos, Waxes, and other materials

For the first time in a long time, I will be getting a car that I actually am really looking forward to driving and keeping in good condition.

For the last 10 years, every car I've driven/owned has been handed over to the sidestreet guys for a 10 pounds inside and out clean up, and whilst they have their merits it's no substitute for doing a bit of graft yourself. And so......I will be the one cleaning the new car after it arrives.

Couple of questions therefore, as I need to invest in some kit to do this:-

1 - the dealer fitted "Lifeshine" package at GBP 500 is way too costly, and without guarantee of it being applied professionally anyway. So......with that in mind, what's a broad brush price to negotiate this down to, so that I have food for thought (I quite like the idea of having the insides scotchguarded or equiv).

2 - assuming 1 above remains a costly or undesirable option, what advice to you guys have on decent quality cleaning gear (anything from wheel cleaning to drying towels)?

- I see decent reports of TurtleWax Ice Seal & Shine for the finishing touch, which seems also like a good cost option.

Any pointers welcomed, or if you know of any recommended detailers in the Swindon area that would be useful.

Many thanks :)

Start with an independent detailer (with a good recommendation or two) to a correct the paint and apply a decent ceramic.

After that comes your fun with selecting the tools for your maintenance programme. 

Look on the Briskoda Styling and Car Care Forum and select your weapons of choice for the war on grime.

Amazing how complicated people can make the selection of the right drying towel.

As I'm sure you already had in mind, avoid the LifeShine product.  The products used are mediocre at best and are only that good if they are applied to the letter of the instructions, which they often won't be.  Look on eBay, you'll find the kits for as little as £10.  That's a good markup, no? And you won't be getting £400+ worth of skilled application! 

Get yourself over to the detailing section and take it from there.  There's a lot to take in but don't get too hung up on products/brands initially.  Instead focus on getting yourself some sorted basic kit such as two buckets (with grit guards), a quality wash mitt, drying towels and plush microfibres.  Then hit youtube and look for how to's on best washing methods/processes.  You can spend hundreds of pounds on ceramic coatings enriched with unicorn tears but if you're exfoliating away your top coat every time you wash the car, it will soon look crap.  

5 minutes ago, john999boy said:

That's not complicated - it's a wooly mammoth! :thumbup:

Erm, nobody mentioned the ambient temperature, the type of paint or the angle of sun in relation to the village green.  The mammoth may not be suitable 😂

33 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

Erm, nobody mentioned the ambient temperature, the type of paint or the angle of sun in relation to the village green.  The mammoth may not be suitable 😂

Damn.

I knew I should have just left it to the detailing bods! :blush

Edited by john999boy
Typo
  • Haha 2

However, if you do decide that the "LifeShine" product will do, try getting it for free. In my case, I didn't even have to ask, before they informed me that it would be part of the deal. When I bought my L&K last December, Marshalls bundled it in for nothing, just to make sure that they got the sale. I don't think that dealers are having it any easier than they were back in December. So if I were you, and you can keep a straight face while you're asking them, just politely suggest that they add it at no cost to you. I'm here to vouch that it is possible, in these tough times for dealers. 

I bought a lifeshine kit for £15 and did the work properly myself. 6 years later, it’s still beading ok and really well for about a month once the car is cleaned with their shampoo. So no, it’s not at all bad, but correct and careful application is key. 

Be careful - the car detailing can become addictive!!

I have never had the Lifeshine applied to any of my cars.  A decent washing regime (pre wash with snow foam, wash with a good wash mitt using the 2 bucket method, and dry with a microfibre towel), will keep your car looking tip top. A decontamination (tar and fall out), polish and wax every few months too.

So many products to try - I have had good results with products from the old favourites like Auto Glym,  Chemical Guys, Dodo Juice, Valet Pro and Auto Smart.

Check out a detailing forum like Clean your Car for advice - who also have an excellent shop as well

Thanks everyone.

I will not be purchasing the Lifeshine.

I added a few things into the basket online yesterday and surprised myself at just home much the initial investment will be to buy all the right kit, and that doesn't include the snow cannon as I'll also need a pressure washer for that too.

So after research, I'm going to make the investment into various items and see how it pans out.

The key things seems to be good quality microfibers, and plenty of them, to dry and separate ones to buff with.

I will practice on my soon to be going back corsa first....and then hopefully I will be in good shape to get a good base onto my new car shortly after it arrives.

Meguirs Gold, Iron Off and Clay Bar, with Turtle Wax Ice Seal and Shine....will run with these for now and try out different things along the way :) thanks for all the pointers.

I usually buy bulk packs of microfibre towels, and throw them away after one use depending on what I'm drying with them etc.. 

For the windscreens I have different drying towels which I just wash after use

17 hours ago, CowsGoMoo said:

So after research, I'm going to make the investment into various items and see how it pans out.

The key things seems to be good quality microfibers, and plenty of them, to dry and separate ones to buff with.

I will practice on my soon to be going back corsa first....and then hopefully I will be in good shape to get a good base onto my new car shortly after it arrives.

Meguirs Gold, Iron Off and Clay Bar, with Turtle Wax Ice Seal and Shine....will run with these for now and try out different things along the way :) thanks for all the pointers.

IMO, if you buy a decent fall out removers, Iron-X, Tar-X to name two, there isn’t much need for a clay bar. I’d even go as far to say unless you’re going to machine polish, a clay bar isn’t required at all. 

Like I said, my opinion. 

I had Lifeshine on my L&K as part of the deal and you get a pack of Autoglym products with it. Quite honestly I didn't notice any difference as to the car with Lifeshine and my normal polishing regime with Autoglym, which I had previously always used. So a bottle of Aotoglym from Amazon and you will have a perfectly shiny new car that you will be proud of, don't waste £500 on Lifeshine.

9 hours ago, SC03OTT said:

IMO, if you buy a decent fall out removers, Iron-X, Tar-X to name two, there isn’t much need for a clay bar. I’d even go as far to say unless you’re going to machine polish, a clay bar isn’t required at all. 

Like I said, my opinion. 

You really should be claying as little as you can, twice a year max.

If I were OP, I would use the following:

Wheels: P&S brake buster/ValetPRO Bilberry + woolly brush (and hard bristle brush for tyres), Meguiar's Endurance tyre shine

Paint: CarPro Hydro Foam (wash & seal at the same time), CarPro Ech2o (waterless wash) diluted as drying aid OR CarPro Reset (normal wash), CarPro Elixir (quick detailer) as drying aid

Decontamination: CarPro TriX (every 3mo) - you can also use this on wheels with good results

Sealant: CarPro Reload (every 6mo or so)

I like CarPro products as you're getting top tier performance for affordable prices. I've heard plenty of good things about TW Wax n Shine as a drying aid though.

For drying the Korean style twist loop towels from CarPro, Fireball, Gyeon etc are all very good. I prefer them to the normal ones I used to use for drying. I now only use normal microfibre towel for windows.

Indeed.  CarPro is my weapon of choice as well. 

Snow Foam

Wash

Iron-X

Tar-X

Foam

Wash

HydrO2 Lite

Reload

Rinse and repeat every 4 months. 

I do get there is a place for clay, I’m not saying there is not. I just don’t feel the need for it for me and what I’m looking to achieve and I’d doubt the OP needs it either at this stage.  It’s just something to add damage to the paint that in the end, won’t be corrected. 

Thanks 👍

The clay is actually to get the old cars back to a decent level, before I return it, almost 4 years old and never been washed by my hands.

It will help me get the detailing bug as I am determined to look after the new one properly. It's a car I want not one I have had to have.