Add Paint & Upholstery protection or not ??

Hi All,

I have finally found a Yeti at a Skoda Retailer and it has been suggested that I have the paint and upholstery protection added..... does anyone have any positives/negatives regarding this?  The Yeti is a 2017 with fabric upholstery rather than leather.  The £350.00 price tag for the additional paint and upholstery protection is a bit scary but if worth it I will go ahead.  I just have a couple of days to make the decision.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Do not add.

What is scary is how much they want for a product that the materials are so cheap to purchase and easy to apply and the cost you are being asked to give them a huge profit.

If you really needed treatment to the car you could go to a proper detailer, or look in the Detailing section on this forum.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot
  • Like 4

Thank you for your speedy reply.

I know they guarantee the paintwork and upholstery for the duration that I own the car, but I was not sure if it was something I could do myself or even necessary.  How can you tell if it has been done previously?

On a 3 year old car you can not.

Your paintwork just needs normal care,

and them having protection applied to not perfect paint work is a waste of time.  

They dealer is  making £300 profit.  That is just a sales persons nice we earner in commission. 

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot
  • Like 2

Just to echo what George has already said, it's not worth it.  Don't do it.  If looking after the paintwork is important to you, go to someone who knows what they're doing (i.e. a Detailer) and go with their recommendations.  My previous vRS (brand new) had a new car protection detail, and it wasn't as simple as a wash, polish and seal, because the contractors at the main dealer had unfortunately 'washed' it!

You'll be better off going to a Detailer, and your money will be better spent.

Gaz

Edited by IamGaz
  • Like 2

Waste of your cash. Foolishly paid for it (Autoglym blah...) on the first of 3 new cars bought at local Skoda/SEAT outfit but not on the others.

Really couldn't see what I got for the money, apart from the party bag of car cleaning products (which weren't even Autoglym branded!) :thinking:

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 1

I wouldn't bother paying for it , I did on the car I have at present and I got a goody bag of autoglym  products worth approx. £ 80 it " might " have made a difference RE the seats & carpets but that is debatable , as far as the paintwork is concerned  there really is  no difference to the previous car ( same colour ) waste of money as far as I'm concerned .

• Like 1

On 17/03/2020 at 12:08, FabiaComfort04 said:

Thank you for your replies.  It is the AutoGlym LifeShine protection that they offered, but I admit they haven't pushed it - just advised it is available.

Since new my 6 year old Roomster gets a 3 monthly coat of autoglym high definition wax. The paintwork still looks like new

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I think the feedback is quite unanimous, I can only concur :D

I've seen a dealer applied 'Autoglym LifeShine' on a work colleagues brand new Volvo.

It was basically a lad in the dealer valet bay blathering some Autoglym resin polish on the car, some rain-ex on the glass and what looked like a quick spray of Febreeze on the seats!

There was white polish residue all over the black non-painted plastics and in some places it hadn't even been buffed off properly. I am sure this was an extreme example, but it does at least serve to reassure you that the £350 would be much better spent paying a local detailer to do it for half the price and do a much better job too.

• 2 months later...

Paint protection biggest con going. They make very little commission on selling a car, since they're paid a basic already. Commission on the car about £10-15. So it's a must to try and shift paint protection, and gap insurance. It costs sod all to them, maybe £50 of the 350 they're asking. Especially useless if you're on PCP, as remember you only finance a portion of the car, so adding in this case £350 would effectively add more than 10% to your monthly payments! That's a bit like paying 10% more for the car. Then there's the fact that if you scratch the paint protection, you have to have it redone, which is a bit like err... repainting scratched paint? When I last bought a new skoda from a main dealer in 2019 they tried to sell this ****, even though I could see it was already applied to the car on the showroom floor they were trying to sell me.