Infotainment & Lighting query

I’ve seen a couple of vRS that have alternate background colours on the menu and maxi dot screens.

I can’t for the life of me find an option to change this setting from green.

I have a 17 plate vRS FL with LED ambient lighting.

Will this require a software update or VCDS activation?

I’ve tried to update the system using my phone as a hotspot but no luck (I can’t even get Skoda Connect to work but I gather this is an Apple and EE issue).

I never get the red globe on the homescreen although my phone recognises the hotspot and the car shows I have WLAN signal.

55E407A2-BF88-48E8-B3CC-70883619CE82.jpeg

EBCA98CA-6A89-4529-9045-CB522F76C86F.jpeg

1 minute ago, CookieMonster87 said:

@SashaGrace I only have the option to change the colour and brightness of the LED door lights and adjust the brightness of the footwell lights.

And it doesn’t change the radio? That’s odd. What is your radio software version and BCM software version?

You need to be on 04xx firmware for this. Contact Pawel (pab567) on here and ask him if he has the correct firmware for this. For sure he will. Once that’s done it’ll work and if you want the coding for the option of automatic changing of the lights according to drive mode please see below

19 CAN Gateway — coding: 
FPA_Funktion_AMB: active

09 Central Electronics — adaptations: 

IDE09731-ENG154511-Int. Light:
2nd generation-Ambiente_Farbwahl_FPA_waehlbare_Kopplung : active
2nd generation-Ambiente_Fahrprofil_Individual : 1
2nd generation-Ambiente_Farbwahl_FPA_waehlbare_Kopplung_Status_hmi_default : coupled
2nd generation-Innenlicht : Keine_Spannungsanforderung
ENG153712-ENG154510-Ambientelicht Zuordnung der Farbe zum Fahrprofil :
Fahrprofil_0: 1
Fahrprofil_1: 1
Fahrprofil_2: 1
Fahrprofil_3: 4
Fahrprofil_4: 1
Fahrprofil_5: 9
Fahrprofil_6: 1
Fahrprofil_7: 7
Fahrprofil_8: 1
Fahrprofil_9: 1
Fahrprofil_10: 1
Fahrprofil_11: 1
Fahrprofil_12: 1
Fahrprofil_13: 1
Fahrprofil_14: 1
Fahrprofil_15: 1
Ambiente : Sollspannungsanforderung 13.5V

You can set any colors, I set like this:
[LO] _Fahrprofil_2: 1 — normal
[LO] _Fahrprofil_3: 4 — sport
[LO] _Fahrprofil_7: 7 — individual
[LO] _Fahrprofil_5: 9 — eco

06225433-FF19-4A8A-A0F6-877BC1B10D5A.png.9096ce1cd60b6b8366840af2f30bcc36.png

854E7F4F-670A-4346-8761-90F7725FB782.png.91dd3da67c3a022f8ae20560c92a661c.png

90CAF927-F7B5-4129-B9F7-F79227D6DDC4.png.fba2b311802772a246acbcf5ff7031da.png

43CDA1DF-7365-4F55-AE7D-FE3EF3F02524.png.c41282d9a02ccce097fe2bac3142ab3b.png

• Thanks 1

@SashaGrace will a main dealer be able to do this for me?

My car is having the service schedule reset Friday so I can ask them to have a look at updating the firmware.

I’m not overly fussed about the lighting with the different driving modes however i’d like to be able to adjust the menu lighting to match the LED selection.

Thanks!

Strange mine didn’t come with a more recent firmware. I’ve seen plenty of 17 plate cars with this option.

The only thing I can think of that would have rolled back any firmware is me doing a factory reset through the menu when I picked it up to wipe the previous owners settings etc.

Just now, gavstan799 said:

Can this be done on a 66 plate 1.6tdi se L, or is it vrs only? 

You need an FL for this, the BCM is different. I’ve finally gotten around to getting a used FL High BCM for my car so I’ll be getting around to this shortly.

The BCM is the Body Control Module.

I’m not fully aware of what it does but at a guess it’s like a computer that governs what the car is or isn’t able to do based on build spec. Some retrofits/VCDS reprogramming may not work without a higher spec BCM.

I’m unaware what spec my BCM is or how to find out without visually looking at it for a serial number, I believe it’s in and around the passenger footwell somewhere. 

In any case I wouldn’t know without looking if the lighting settings I’m after will be compatible with my BCM even after a firmware update although I could be wrong on that.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, gavstan799 said:

Sorry to sound stupid but whats BCM

Body Control Module which is just an ECU, another TLA.

A little computer box that talks to and controls various parts of the car.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CookieMonster87 said:

The BCM is the Body Control Module.

I’m not fully aware of what it does but at a guess it’s like a computer that governs what the car is or isn’t able to do based on build spec. Some retrofits/VCDS reprogramming may not work without a higher spec BCM.

I’m unaware what spec my BCM is or how to find out without visually looking at it for a serial number, I believe it’s in and around the passenger footwell somewhere. 

In any case I wouldn’t know without looking if the lighting settings I’m after will be compatible with my BCM even after a firmware update although I could be wrong on that.

Having researched this a little today (I’ve got my FL BCM coming for Friday so I need to re read my info for my retrofit) your car should have part number 5Q0937084CF and firmware version 0234 on it. You should just need a radio update to get what you want.

Having spoken to Pawel it doesn’t sound like my unit supports firmware 04xx with the most up to date version available to hand being 0367.

This isn’t a major issue but it would have been nice to colour code the displays to match the LED ambient lighting.

My car must have been built very early on if this is the case as I’ve seen many other 17 plates with the option to change the colour of the display.

• 7 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, I've just coded this on a MY18 vRS but have a quick question.

For the individual setting, are you able to change the colour via the headunit? Seems some people are on later cars with this from factory:

Looking around online, it seems that it should be possible by setting Ambiente_Fahrprofil_Individual to 7.

When I set Ambiente_Fahrprofil_Individual to clash with any of the selectable Fahrprofil versions (1, 2, 3, 5, 7), selecting that option puts the headunit into disco mode! Basically the backlighting accent in the headunit will keep changing from the colour selected in manual mode and the colour set by that Fahrprofil option. As a temporary fix, I've set Ambiente_Fahrprofil_Individual to 9 (1 clashes with comfort) to avoid the conflict but it means I'd need VCDS (or similar) to change the individual colour choice :wondering:

Some sources suggest I need a CAN gateway with 4344 or 5344 and has an index Q and higher. Currently on 4326 with a L index - anyone had any experience getting CAN-gateways updated/flashed? I know it was pretty easy on the MK2 but I expect it will need parameterising etc afterwards on a MK3. Maybe something @SashaGrace has had experience with?

Would love to get this working perfectly so the individual option is configurable via the headunit :)

I would just add, that gateway with HW version 5xxx has new feature, which is annoying for most people - every new start the car will switch to NORMAL driving mode. 

I personally have gateway 3Q0 907 530 C with SW 3Q0 907 530 L (HW 4326) based on Sasha's information. As far as I know, any gateway (MQB High) with HW 4xxx is suitable for you with all features functioning. 

I tested 3Q0 907 530 C, but HW 5421 and I had a problem with drive mode switching to NORMAL and also I got a problem in virtual cockpit about missing StartStopReason communication (something new, that units in Octavia can't handle I think).

Also wanted to point out, that flashing 3Q0 gateways is "dangerous". If you want to go higher or lower with SW index, you need to have the correct SW based on your HW number (example 4326). For example, if you need to go from SW index AC to L, you need to flash it several times to go lower with "smaller steps". I did this with my gateway. From SW AC to AA and then to L. Once I tried to go directly from AC to L and the gateway "burned". Maybe faulty unit, but I was talking to my friend and this happened sometimes

Sometimes the gateway just need correct ZDC file (this is nothing from my experience, only by hearsay)

Edited by Krosta
  • Thanks 1

Excellent info, thanks both!

9 hours ago, Krosta said:

As far as I know, any gateway (MQB High) with HW 4xxx is suitable for you with all features functioning.

Just to confirm, are you saying that 3Q0 907 530 L - 4326 should allow setting the colour of the individual driving mode from the headunit?

That is what I'm trying to fix but I think I need 3Q0 907 530 Q - 4344 or higher? :)

Regarding flashing and index/SW versions, I had a quick look to see what gateways exist around the web, ignoring the 5xxx:

Part No SW: 3Q0 907 530 L    HW: 3Q0 907 530 C   Component: GW MQB High   436 4326 <-- Mine
Part No SW: 3Q0 907 530 Q    HW: 3Q0 907 530 C   Component: GW MQB High   439 4344
Part No SW: 3Q0 907 530 AA   HW: 3Q0 907 530 C   Component: GW MQB High   442 4366
Part No SW: 3Q0 907 530 AA   HW: 3Q0 907 530 C   Component: GW MQB High   442 4368

The following is interesting  as it suggests a 'G' index was updated to an 'AA' index:

Part No SW: 3Q0 907 530 G    HW: 3Q0 907 530 C   Component: GW MQB High   433 4303
Part No SW: 3Q0 907 530 AA   HW: 3Q0 907 530 C   Component: GW MQB High   433 4368 <-- 433 not 442

There seems to be a 3Q0 907 530 Q - 4343 and a 3Q0 907 530 AA - 4368 flash file available. That suggests I might be able to flash my gateway to become:

Part No SW: 3Q0 907 530 AA   HW: 3Q0 907 530 C   Component: GW MQB High   436 4368

Would this allow:

- the individual colour mode to work correctly

- retain the driver mode memory (does reset with ignition off/on)

Thanks again :)

This is interesting as I have 3Q0 907 530 L 4326 and the coding takes and the auto mode is shown on the screen and it’s all there in the BCM, but when the mode is changed on Automatic it doesn’t change the colour on my car. My drive mode stays put though, does not default back to Normal. BCM is 5Q0 937 084 CG 0253