Centre caps

I changed my wheels just over a year ago and fitted new original Skoda centre caps.

I'm very disappointed with them as the edges have blistered already. Rather than fork out for OEM centre caps I've gone for some from AliExpress and also a backup set from eBay.

Photos of the OEMs removed, excuse the holes, I find it easier to drill with an 8mm bit and pull them out with the drill (or an Allan key after drilling).

Please note: the caps look considerably worse than the photo shows!

20200505_195254_resized.thumb.jpg.f043f21086e95a7174785454c58031a6.jpg

I paint the edges with the clear varnish used for repairing stone chips before fitting. I think they are made using IMD (in mould decoration) which if done cheaply/badly leaves the  edge of the moulded in label open to the atmosphere. 

• Like 2

I had 2 sets of these on my last VRS, it was due a 3rd set when it went back less than 3 years old. My current VRS is approaching 18 months old and somehow they've been fine. I'm not doing anything different.

If I was ever challenged on the 'it's the way you clean them' I'd offer to walk them round their own forecourt and show them every single car in stock had the same problem.

Absolute pain to be fair

6 hours ago, ExSEAT said:

If I was ever challenged on the 'it's the way you clean them' I'd offer to walk them round their own forecourt and show them every single car in stock had the same problem.

Absolute pain to be fair

I agree completely; I only ever washed my alloys with the same shanpoo (Bilt Hamber) that I washed my car with - nothing corrosive.

It seems to be a very poor standard of centre cap. The ones I've purchased from eBay are nearly identical to the OEM ones (minor difference in the detail of the wing tips on the emblem, and not noticable without getting down to look at them), it will be interesting to see how they fair in comparison. 

2 minutes ago, Wangarai said:

I agree completely; I only ever washed my alloys with the same shanpoo (Bilt Hamber) that I washed my car with - nothing corrosive.

It seems to be a very poor standard of centre cap. The ones I've purchased from eBay are nearly identical to the OEM ones (minor difference in the detail of the wing tips on the emblem, and not noticable without getting down to look at them), it will be interesting to see how they fair in comparison. 

We have 2 skoda, the wife got a fabia monte carlo a few months after I got my VRS, the monte gets a snow foam, sponge bath and rinse. The VRS got the full treatment including wheel cleaner. Both had knackered centre caps. They are just crap. No other way to describe it.

Good luck with the replacements, hope they hold up!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I bought some complete black and green caps. From Smile. Shipped all the way from Shanghai. Made in Germany. Aye right, as they say in Scotland. Needed a bit of careful filing of the fixing lugs, but look great. Fingers crossed. 

On 06/05/2020 at 09:47, Ads230 said:

You can also get the black ('Monte Carlo') centre caps from SuperSkoda that already have a coat of varnish on them; which I've added another layer of clear lacquer to for that very reason. Seems expensive, but they look the part and have no chips on them as of the last 10 months.

The SuperSkoda monte carlo center caps have been on my car for 34 months, washed by the cheapest Polish car wash in the country.

They look fine

• 3 months later...
On 05/05/2020 at 22:45, Wangarai said:

I changed my wheels just over a year ago and fitted new original Skoda centre caps.

I'm very disappointed with them as the edges have blistered already. Rather than fork out for OEM centre caps I've gone for some from AliExpress and also a backup set from eBay.

Photos of the OEMs removed, excuse the holes, I find it easier to drill with an 8mm bit and pull them out with the drill (or an Allan key after drilling).

Please note: the caps look considerably worse than the photo shows!

20200505_195254_resized.thumb.jpg.f043f21086e95a7174785454c58031a6.jpg

https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/5ja601151fod-wheel-centre-cover-with-a-skoda-logo-skoda-19744.html

They are shown at 6.25 Euros each. Problem is their delivery are 9.68 Euros to the UK.

Get a quote from a UK Skoda dealer before ordering elsewhere. Often prices on ebay are more than the dealer price, especially for low cost parts.

You can get the OEM part number on the "skoda online parts catalogue" here:

http://www.oemepc.com/skoda/part_single/catalog/sk/markt/CZ/modell/OCT/year/2016/drive_standart/753/hg_ug/601/subcategory/601060/part_id/2543668/lang/e

The OEM part number for the hub caps (aka wheel centre caps) is shown as "5JA601151" or "5JA601151 FOD"

Edited by Carlston
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Carlston said:

https://www.skoda-parts.com/spare-part/5ja601151fod-wheel-centre-cover-with-a-skoda-logo-skoda-19744.html

They are shown at 6.25 Euros each. Problem is their delivery are 9.68 Euros to the UK.

Get a quote from a UK Skoda dealer before ordering elsewhere. Often prices on ebay are more than the dealer price, especially for low cost parts.

You can get the OEM part number on the "skoda online parts catalogue" here:

http://www.oemepc.com/skoda/part_single/catalog/sk/markt/CZ/modell/OCT/year/2016/drive_standart/753/hg_ug/601/subcategory/601060/part_id/2543668/lang/e

The OEM part number for the hub caps (aka wheel centre caps) is shown as "5JA601151" or "5JA601151 FOD"

Thanks

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 23/07/2020 at 18:22, gregoir said:

I bought some complete black and green caps. From Smile. Shipped all the way from Shanghai. Made in Germany. Aye right, as they say in Scotland. Needed a bit of careful filing of the fixing lugs, but look great. Fingers crossed. 

Hi there, I’m after some black, green, silver ones for my Monte Carlo. What’s smile? Is this an online store?