Emission Control System Warning Light

I have this emission control system light staying ON on my dash. What will be the cause of it? Just before the light came on, I did a 950mi trip (not continuous though).
Is this is a serious problem? Should i take it only to the Skoda authorised dealer or can it be sorted with Halfords service centre / kwik fit. I have attached a screenshot of the manual.
Thank you

Screenshot_20200531-115008_MyKODA.jpg

@DHarry

Welcome to the forum.

Easier if you say a Petrol or Diesel and what age of Octavia and a mod can move your post.

Had the car sat for a while?

I would not be using either of those Tyre / Exhaust and Service Centres to diagnose the issue.

Being in Scotland maybe you have no choice. What about a Mobile Mechanic, or if you say where you are there might be a member with a Code Reader / knowledge.

• Like 1

Hi, its Petrol 2018 Octavia Se L. It was driven only once a week during this lock down. The light came on soon after I topped up a fuel at supermarket. No idea of mobile mechanic in Aberdeen, should give a shout to my friends and see if they know anyone

• Like 1

@DHarry

That was not Sainsbury's at Bridge of Dee by any chance was it.

Once i put in 97 ron Super Unleaded there on a remapped car and was just past Portlethen when the 'EPC light & Engine Emissions light came on as it misfired badly. While in the outside lane with an Audi up my jacksy.

Luckily i had a switchable map from APR.

The car was not able to run well on 95 ron, but could on 97 if not getting 99.   Sainsburys denied their tank was filled with the wrong petrol.

Said i made a mistake, but i had the receipt.

PS

Forgot.  Call Skoda Assist and say you do not want to drive with a 'Warning Light',  they can send out the AA or anyone they want to check the Fault Code, 

save it, and reset. 

See where it goes from there.  If it happens again Skoda Assist can arrange a Courtesy / Hire car.

I should say my car misfired as well when driving in town, it was Tesco, Cumbernauld. I dont know if i should call Skoda assist or arnold clark? I have this car only from Jan 2020.

• Like 1

?

What engine and how many miles on the car? 

Just asking incase you have a dodgy spark plug or ignition coil.

Nooooooo don't call Arnold Clark. 

You do not need their Warranty.  Or some muppet playing about with your car.

The AA person can tell you if you do need them if it was not just a fueling issue..

(I got crap Tesco Momentum 99 once @ Blackpool on the way to Santa Pod while having a break at Preston.

Again it was almost certainly 95 ron in the 99 tank.

Only time Tesco let me down.)

You have 3 years Skoda Assist. best use that, the person will not even mind if it is a Sunday evening. 

But maybe leave it till tomorrow.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

I bought a used car last February from them, traded in a real dog but they still managed to make a profit on it at auction.

Anyway, i got the 2 year service plan and 2 MOT's for Free. (Not really free...)

So this February it goes in for a service and MOT & fails on a broken spring which was a fail on the MOT  the year before and supposedly replaced to get a pass, and the car had new brake discs and pads before i bought it after an advisory on them.  That was an advisory again less than 4,000 miles from last year.

3 days they messed me about before i got the car back.

They do not like the 'Reviews' and Trust Pilot comments from me.

But then i know them so well as the song goes. 

When Sir Arnold was alive he never got where he did by giving a damn.

The service schedule for spark plug replacement is at 40,000 miles, but they can be fine past that, then again not.

The AA person might get a fault code, or a cylinder misfire code if there was enough in a cycle.

You do not always get a Fault Code logged though.

See how it goes, but a spark plug could be on it's way out.  Seems like a coincidence but maybe H20 in the fuel was enough to show up when also getting a poor spark.

Edited by Roottootemblowinootsoot

• 2 months later...

Sorry to come back late. I should say first that I have managed to sort this warning issue and what a shame.. it's an OIL issue, I was running out of oil. A local mechanic checked and topped up the oil and all sorted. Now, for over a month I am driving regularly and no misfires, the car runs smooth and responds as it should be. Skoda should definitely dedicate a oil warning instead of clustering more warnings in to one Engine warning light.

• Confused 1

@DHarry

You do have 'Low Oil' & 'Low Oil Pressure' Warning lights and messages that appear.

A Yellow Oil Can Light & a Red Oil Can light.

?

So how much oil did your car require to have the oil level on the dipstick back up to where it should be when the oil is checked 'At normal operating temperature' parked on the flat after a few minutes.  (That is not cold or warm oil being checked, but you can do that before starting the car if you want.)

Screenshot 2020-08-08 at 09.50.41.png

Screenshot 2020-08-08 at 09.51.50.png

Edited by e-Roottoot

@DHarry

What you have shown in the picture is what is done on the 'Check' on the ignition going on, 

but the Yellow & Red oil cans do not show then.

There are still ones that light when they are triggered. And there is a Low Oil & Low Oil Pressure Warning message.

?

Is there nothing on them in the Owners Manual for your car as in this Superb's Manual?

The Exhaust Emissions Light (Engine Light) and the EPC light (Electrical Power Control light.)  really is different from a 'Low Oil' or Low Oil Pressure light.

Screenshot 2020-08-09 at 15.57.50.png

Edited by e-Roottoot