Where was this money tree hiding these last 10 years?

S00perb

22 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

Exactly. The past 10 years as you've helpfully pointed out ;) 

Despite the evidence to the contrary you obviously believe the 'money tree' did not exist pre 2010?;) 

3 minutes ago, moley said:

Despite the evidence to the contrary you obviously believe the 'money tree' did not exist pre 2010?;) 

It's nothing to do with that whatsoever. Read the topic title. 

Where was this money tree hiding these last 10 years?

Harping on about something from previous Governments over ten years ago is whataboutery. 
Please stay on topic :) 

• Groan 2

3 hours ago, Lee01 said:

I've lost count of the number of times you've wanted topics about the Government or brexit to be locked.
You are free to engage in them or ignore them it's entirely up to you. I notice not a single call from you in the Labour losers thread for that particular one to be closed. Funny that.
I've also noticed a few times where you've spoken on behalf of other people clarifying what you think they mean.
So, to reiterate, you are free to engage or not; entirely your choice. 

@moley I'm not sure bringing in a former PM who left office thirteen years ago and didn't implement austerity is in any way, shape or form relevant to this topic. 

I engage when i want to and sometimes when people starting being silly or argumentative my past role as a mod on other forums comes to the fore and i suggest a lock.  Dont take it personally...

As for the labour thread, nothing in there has yet seemed quite so ridiculous or silly as to warrant suggesting a lock.

And finally i clarify when i can see things have been misinterpreted through bias or blinkers.

Edited by skomaz
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Lee01 said:

Harping on about something from previous Governments over ten years ago is whataboutery. 
Please stay on topic :) 

I think youll find the point is relevant because there is ALWAYS a 'money tree' when an absolute need arises...   even when its a Labour government.  So bearing in mind the first post on this thread the point is VERY relevant 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, skomaz said:

I think youll find the point is relevant because there is ALWAYS a 'money tree' when an absolute need arises...   even when its a Labour government.  So bearing in mind the first post on this thread the point is VERY relevant 

The first post on this topic quite clearly states twice 'the past ten years' does it not?
It's a shame your time as a moderator on other fora didn't teach impartiality as it seems abundantly clear to me that you absolutely detest any and all criticism of the tory party to such an extent that you go out of your way to mark posts as unhelpful or with a groan reaction even if it's unwarranted. 
The fact is austerity measures didn't work; they rarely, if ever, do, and it was a contributing factor in the brexit vote.
Now we have the most right wing Government in my lifetime with Cummings pulling the strings forcing some very good people to quit the civil service and handing contracts to his chums who have no relevant experience. Cummings also wants to tour top secret military bases and to cut the armed forces. Has he suddenly become an expert on how the MoD is run now? IIRC he failed his Civil Service exam.

In my very humble opinion, and it's just an opinion, it seems to me that now the realities of what's coming and whats happened is that some people are disliking having to look in the mirror and are quite angry. They're just angry at the wrong people. 

If you think things have been misinterpreted it's better for the person who commented to clarify rather than someone else giving their opinion of what the other person meant.

This Tweet was put out by CS staff a few weeks back. It was up for a short time before being deleted but it gives an insight as to what CS staff think about
their bosses.
20200524_1810241409621215.jpg.62261db95cfb85cea2cccc873155f9dc.jpg.

Edited by Lee01
  • Groan 1

Guest BigJase88

Oh noooo this is going how all other threads go. Please stop antagonising lee he gets upset very quickly.

The first post was very clearly anti-Tory but, as has been pointed out, even Labour Governments have vigorously shaken the money tree.  That was the point being made so i state again it was relevant in the context of th discussion and first post.  If you cant comprehend that then you appear to be more blinkered than i thought.  Which probably also explains why you cant see that i am actually being impartial.

As for my clarifying what someone has said youll note that i only tend to clarify after youve apparently missed the point being made.  Again dont take it personally i do it to others as well...   im not just a keyboard warrior.

And just for the record i also dont particularly like Cummings or his influence either.  Having said that i have seen some elements of the civil service that do need a kick up the arse...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BigJase88 said:

Oh noooo this is going how all other threads go. Please stop antagonising lee he gets upset very quickly.

As far as im concerned im not trying to antagonise im simply stating my position snd point of view.  Apologies if this upsets certain people.

PS i react to posts in the way i interpret them in the context of the thread and prior posts.

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, BigJase88 said:

Don't fret BigJase the Doctor's in Europe have all sorts to lower the blood pressure if it reaches critical levels.........unfortunately. Back on topic it is always future generations that have to pay when the piggy bank is raided as the money is recovered in various sneaky tax increases like a good pickpocket relieving you of your wallet while you are distracted. Boris suggesting people who have been hibernating for the past 4 months should get out of the house, take in some fresh air (or in the countryside some fresh manure) and spend, spend and spend a bit more.:)

15 minutes ago, skomaz said:

As far as im concerned im not trying to antagonise im simply stating my position snd point of view.  Apologies if this upsets certain people.

PS i react to posts in the way i interpret them in the context of the thread and prior posts.

Those big eyes of yours upset me and remind me of all the rabbits I have run over while commuting. Hope that doesn't upset anyone with a pet but roadkill is fair game when they do not use the Green Cross Code.🦌

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, skomaz said:

The first post was very clearly anti-Tory but, as has been pointed out, even Labour Governments have vigorously shaken the money tree.  That was the point being made so i state again it was relevant in the context of th discussion and first post.  If you cant comprehend (1) that then you appear to be more blinkered than i thought.  Which probably also explains why you cant see that i am actually being impartial. (2)

As for my clarifying what someone has said youll note that i only tend to clarify after youve apparently missed the point being made. (3) Again dont take it personally i do it to others as well...   im not just a keyboard warrior.

And just for the record i also dont particularly like Cummings or his influence either.  Having said that i have seen some elements of the civil service that do need a kick up the arse...

[politely] 
1) It seems as if you're questioning my intelligence here which I don't appreciate.  

2) I don't think you're as impartial as you say you are. At least it seems to be the case. Happy to go to previous posts to clarify/ retract.
3) It is not your job to clarify other people's responses with your interpretation of what you think they were trying to convey. 

I'm not at all upset but, as for Big Jase's reply; I'm old enough to remember when he wanted me to bring my keyboard with with me to 'crack me over the head' with it. 

Edited by Lee01
  • Groan 2

14 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

Don't fret BigJase the Doctor's in Europe have all sorts to lower the blood pressure if it reaches critical levels.........unfortunately. Back on topic it is always future generations that have to pay when the piggy bank is raided as the money is recovered in various sneaky tax increases like a good pickpocket relieving you of your wallet while you are distracted. Boris suggesting people who have been hibernating for the past 4 months should get out of the house, take in some fresh air (or in the countryside some fresh manure) and spend, spend and spend a bit more.:)

My blood pressure is fine. It was checked three weeks ago. Why do you say unfortunately? 
From some posts I'd be more worried about excess alcohol consumption in the UK given the appalling grammar.

Edited by Lee01
  • Like 1

We seem to have a choice in the UK: stimulus versus never ending austerity

1. Gov does nothing more to boost confidence:

Result:. If we don't feel safe, we stay in, those individuals and businesses with money don't spend it and the economy goes down like we have never seen before. Those that suffer most will be those who spend the next ten years without a job.

2. Gov makes us feel safe: masks everywhere and a stimulus that ensures we know we will have a proper safety net - this includes a guarantee to a return to 100% support in future inevitable lock-downs.

Result: If we are made to feel physically and financially safe we help the economy get back on track

Both 1 and 2 cost the Gov money - but 2 is an investment as opposed to a long term drain.

Unemployment helps no one, costs money, ruins and wastes lives. 

We know austerity doesn't work, the nations' debt went up and inequality skyrocketed when we tried it last time

We need a permanent Kurzarbeit

• Like 4

Guest BigJase88
8 hours ago, Lee01 said:

[politely] 
1) It seems as if you're questioning my intelligence here which I don't appreciate.  

2) I don't think you're as impartial as you say you are. At least it seems to be the case. Happy to go to previous posts to clarify/ retract.
3) It is not your job to clarify other people's responses with your interpretation of what you think they were trying to convey. 

I'm not at all upset but, as for Big Jase's reply; I'm old enough to remember when he wanted me to bring my keyboard with with me to 'crack me over the head' with it. 

Yes but now I realise that you are you and now I just let you go on a rant because I think deep down you enjoy getting wound up and winding others up.

i just laugh away to myself now at all the back and forth arguments, it’s actually rather funny.

17 hours ago, skomaz said:

Looks like a thread lock might be in order soon before this one goes the way of a couple of other threads...

I think we'll be OK, as long as no one drifts off topic as uses the 'B' word.

10 hours ago, moley said:

I think we'll be OK, as long as no one drifts off topic as uses the 'B' word.

I think somebody already did but we'll gloss over that for now

• Like 1

I have the feeling there is a professional 'off topic brigade' round here. You must be sooo bored.

Won't catch me being off topic

DOH!!

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

The magic money tree might be our pensions as returns are so low on both bonds and stock equity ie negative the Uk government magic money tree may be lending at negative rates via bonds issuance and international loans with negative rates.

So we, and our pensions are part of the magic money tree.   Have a look at you pension projections, particular the "Low" projection and the Triple locked state pension has to be in jeopardy as inflation stagnates.  

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/inflation-cpi 

United Kingdom Inflation Rate

This Chancellor and the last have at least been employed in Banking, so fully understand that it is when people are really not in a good position to borrow and actually pay back money is when they are going to borrow as much as they can get away with.

A past Chancellor Baron Alistair Darling who had no banking background before getting to be in the position he was is resigning from the House of Lords.

He will have been stretching himself too thinly with his other employments in banking and house building.

2 hours ago, Roottoot said:

This Chancellor and the last have at least been employed in Banking, so fully understand that it is when people are really not in a good position to borrow and actually pay back money is when they are going to borrow as much as they can get away with.

A past Chancellor Baron Alistair Darling who had no banking background before getting to be in the position he was is resigning from the House of Lords.

He will have been stretching himself too thinly with his other employments in banking and house building.

UK finances are stunningly bad at the moment and rising at a rate not seen in most peoples liefe time

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsectorandtaxes/publicsectorfinance/bulletins/publicsectorfinances/june2020

• Debt (public sector net debt excluding public sector banks, PSND ex) at the end of June 2020 was £1,983.8 billion, £195.5 billion more than at the same point last year.

• Debt at the end of June 2020 as a percentage of gross domestic product (GDP) was 99.6%, an increase of 18.9 percentage points compared with the same point last year and the highest debt to GDP ratio since the financial year ending March 1961.

But it is dwarfed by UK wealth.....

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/personalandhouseholdfinances/incomeandwealth/bulletins/totalwealthingreatbritain/april2016tomarch2018

• The total net wealth of private households in Great Britain was £14.6 trillion in April 2016 to March 2018, an increase of 13% in real terms from April 2014 to March 2016, mainly because of increases in private pension and net property wealth.
  • Median household net wealth in Great Britain in April 2016 to March 2018 was £286,600, an increase of 9% from April 2014 to March 2016, after adjusting for inflation.
  • Total wealth inequality in Great Britain is broadly unchanged in the most recent period, though it has increased since July 2006 to June 2008, based on a number of measures of inequality.
  • Inequality in net property wealth and net financial wealth has increased between July 2006 to June 2008 and April 2016 to March 2018, while inequality in pension wealth has fallen.
  • Average (mean) wealth for all wealth deciles increased in real terms between April 2014 to March 2016 and April 2016 to March 2018, with the higher deciles seeing the biggest increases; the average for the poorest decile increased 3%, and the richest wealth decile increased by 11%.
  • London, the South East and the South West of England have the highest median household wealth, and also saw the largest growth between April 2014 to March 2016 and April 2016 to March 2018.

Tapping the money trees will be both controversial and unpopular in some sectors but needs to be done.  Cannot take it with us ! 

• Like 1

Anyone being made redundant from tomorrow & entitled to redundancy should at least know their redundancy is based on their normal wage an not the furloughed income.

That is if the company does not get to take the Michael and leave the Tax Payers to be paying redundancies.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-law-to-ensure-furloughed-employees-receive-full-redundancy-payments

4 hours ago, Roottoot said:

Anyone being made redundant from tomorrow & entitled to redundancy should at least know their redundancy is based on their normal wage an not the furloughed income.

That is if the company does not get to take the Michael and leave the Tax Payers to be paying redundancies.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-law-to-ensure-furloughed-employees-receive-full-redundancy-payments

Capped to £16k so some of us will get no more if one gas been with a company a decade or two or three.  Suspect the UK has one of the weakest job / worker protections as with most other social protections ie social security etc which is worrying when unemployment is climbing so.