Rear Springs for Towing

Towed for the first time with my S3 when pulling the caravan from storage last week and the rear of the car sat very low, even without the boot loaded (the nose weight was ~85kg). My dad has a 2019 S3 and with his caravan and a similar nose weight his sits noticeably higher. When solo my rear wheel arch sits around 25mm lower (both SEL Exec's). My query is, with my S2 i used Grayston Auxiliary Spring Assisters and was considering this for my S3, but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for slightly stiffer direct replacement standard springs to save declaring on the insurance?

I don't believe there are stiffer springs of the same height, as that is what I would like for mine. The only stiffer ones I am aware of are lowered ones, which is of no use to us caravanners.

• Like 1

try here - I've had these in two superb combis that I use for towing and they are excellent

https://mad-suspensionsystems.com/en/products/auxiliary-springs/

easy enough to fit and do keep the car nice and level with a heavy bike rack or trailer 

probably something you would need to declare though?

they do heavier springs too, and airbags so a wide range to chose from. 

Edited by tmg
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, MarkTB said:

Towed for the first time with my S3 when pulling the caravan from storage last week and the rear of the car sat very low, even without the boot loaded (the nose weight was ~85kg). My dad has a 2019 S3 and with his caravan and a similar nose weight his sits noticeably higher. When solo my rear wheel arch sits around 25mm lower (both SEL Exec's). My query is, with my S2 i used Grayston Auxiliary Spring Assisters and was considering this for my S3, but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for slightly stiffer direct replacement standard springs to save declaring on the insurance?

The OEM part number for the rear springs on both the hatchback and estate version of the Skoda Superb MK3 2.0TDI 150PS appears to be 3Q0511115AK. Here are some Suplex rear springs on autodoc.co.uk that match that number:

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/suplex/14569883

SUPLEX Coil Spring Rear Axle

Article number: 39585
  • Fitting Position:
    SUPLEX 39585 Rear Axle
     Rear Axle
  • Spring Design:Coil spring with constant wire diameter
  • Length [mm]:364
  • Thickness [mm]:12,25
  • Diameter [mm]:112
  • Weight [kg]:2,20

Suplex also do rear springs to match OEM part number 3Q0511115AL

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/suplex/14569884

SUPLEX Coil Spring Rear Axle

Article number: 39586
  • Fitting Position:
    SUPLEX 39586 Rear Axle
     Rear Axle
  • Spring Design:Coil spring with constant wire diameter
  • Length [mm]:359
  • Thickness [mm]:12,50
  • Diameter [mm]:112
  • Weight [kg]:2,30

Edited by Carlston

Father use to have (may still use as he still tows a caravan at 91) Auto ball-ans which was a rubber inflatable sphere that sat inside the spring.  Pump it up when you need it, deflate it when you don't.  A quick google just brought these up so not sure if they are still available.

https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=20&TopicID=229501&ThreadPage=1

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/media/1022766/rear-suspension-aids-mo.pdf

Try loading the caravan so there is less nose weight - you really lift 85kg when hitching it up?

Edited by IJWS15

• 3 weeks later...

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not the rubber bodge jobs 🙁 they destroy a well designed compliant suspension set-up.

However the assister springs shown in the photo on the link are excellent & I cannot recommend them enough.

Used them on my MK1 Octavia but since then have always found the OE part number for the uprated "rough road" springs and sourced the equivalent from Lesjofors, I have a pair for the Yeti on their way as we speak, €22 each.

Are there not stiffer springs specified for the Superb, do they not fit them when a factory fit towbar is specified like on the Octavia?

I think dragging an extra tonne behind will already destroy the suspension setup and geometry, 😉

I find them a cheap and easy solution that i can easily take off when not carrying the extra load.

Ok, if you take them off then I approve :thumbup:

Not that you or anyone needs my approval :D

It was 30 years ago but the memory of driving a vehicle (not towing) fitted with them has lingered with me, it was like the transit blocks not having been removed on a PDI!!

10 hours ago, J.R. said:

Are there not stiffer springs specified for the Superb, do they not fit them when a factory fit towbar is specified like on the Octavia?

I would have assumed so but seemingly not - at least on mine. I've since found through a friendly parts guy at the dealer the springs from my dad's, he compared and my dad's and his rear axel load is 2 steps higher than mine (but the shockers are the same), I've therefore ordered the springs for my dad's and intend to install on mine. 👍🏻

After a fully loaded trip at the weekend which saw my tyres disappearing into the arches I am tempted by a pair of rubber rings.  Chuck them in when you know you are going to be carrying a large load and whip them out after.  Dose anyone have any experience using them with eibach pro springs?

very interesting topic.

I had this problem when I travelled recently without towing ... I can only imagine what it will look like with all the family on board and towing ...

The MAD helper springs seem to be a good approach ?